Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Any visitors new or old come to this thread!

my1sunshine

[1]Jun 11, 2008
    • level: 12

Hey, people! I only just recently discovered this board, and there's practically no life here. I've revived about six threads here, and the last post on each of them is me. They have not been touched since, and I've only seen a few people on here in the past two weeks. We have a new movie coming out next year. Some people are not thrilled with how it's being done, and some are just going with it. The point is, Star Trek has finally got it's heart beating again, and yet this forum is practically dead! That doesn't fill me with hope for the survival of our beloved franchise. I'm sure there's more visitors coming here than indicated, you're just not posting..maybe because of tired topics or whatever. We can change that by stating new ideas and stirring up some conversation..having some fun.

But we'll get to that later. First things first.

Let's start by figuring out how much life DOES come to this board. So...I would like everyone who sees this thread to say hi, and state how long you have been a fan of Trek..and wether you're a fan of just TOS, or if you like other Trek. Once we get a feel for how many people we have here, we can throw some ideas on how to spark more conversation on the forum, maybe bring it back to life again.

I'll start things off. You don't need to state your real name if you don't want to. Me..I'm not really worried about that..sooooo...

Hey! My name is Ted..and I'm an alcaholic. ( Sorry, it was there, I had to take it) I've been a serious Trek fan since 1982, when The Wrath of Khan came out. Liked it before, but never a Trekker before that. Next Generation took time, but they had big shoes to fill, I gave them the time, and it paid off. They won me over by Season Two. Deep Space Nine was more of a serial, but I liked this difference. Voyager was great, but after a while (maybe Five seasons)..I thought the franchise was getting tired, needing a rest. I've only seen a few episodes of Enterprise retro, but I'll see more. When it originally aired, I thought they were milking it big time. I felt everybody was getting tired and Trek need about a five year vacation. I only recently started watching it. I DO NOT like the idea of a new, younger cast playing our beloved classic crew for this new movie, but I'll go to see it. I'll accept one prequel, but if it becomes a full blown re-imagining, ( several prequels) I'll be very upset.

You don't have to go into that much exposition, but you get the idea. So..let's see what's out there!

Mouseketeer role call! Sound Off!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

millerem99

[2]Jun 12, 2008
    • level: 51
    Been coming here sporadically for a year. Have been a Star Trek fan since I was five, but only TOS. I wish there were more activity here, too.

my1sunshine

[3]Jun 13, 2008
    Well at this rate, at least in a few years we might be able to get a new discussion going.

123home123

[4]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 55
    This forum is busier than the forums for most older shows. On some of those forums you might get one new post a month.

There was more activity on here when the Remastered episodes first started airing. I guess people lost interest after a while.

my1sunshine

[5]Jun 14, 2008
    Hey, 123home123. Nice to see another familliar face!

millerem99

[6]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 51

123home123 wrote:
    This forum is busier than the forums for most older shows. On some of those forums you might get one new post a month. There was more activity on here when the Remastered episodes first started airing. I guess people lost interest after a while.

This is very true. Almost all my favorites are old shows, and many of them are ghost sites. Twilight Zone is actually another great sci-fi show that gets pretty decent volume.

Mac-Ale

[7]Jun 14, 2008
    • level: 60
    LOL, I think of all the shows on my favorites list, the better ones have one post every half year.

Aside from modern shows with lots of people saying "it rules" or "it sucks", there is not a lot of TV talk on TV.com.

my1sunshine

[8]Jun 14, 2008
    I know. That's one of the thing's I'd like to change, if i can. In the X-files forum, it's mostly shippers, wanting to see Mulder and Scully screw, instead of discussing stories and such. I mean they're nice girls, but...

123home123

[9]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 55
    We get quite a bit of substantive TV talk on the Battlestar Galactica forum. The episode discussion threads are very busy after each episode airs and the message posts generally include insightful comments. (I also crack down on trolling, spam and illegal downloading posts as the editor for that guide, but on-topic posts are always welcome.)

We also have a lot of side discussions about topics that are related to the show, including military terminology and technology (because the show depicts military hardware in a realistic fashion), Greek mythology, political philosophy (although I try to steer people away from getting into debates and arguments solely about real-life political races) and general show-related topics (favorite character and so on). my1sunshine can attest to the quality of the discussions we have on the BSG forum.

I've also wandered into a couple other show forums that seem to have a lot of intellectual discussion going on. I think Law & Order has a lot of interesting and civilized debates too but I don't follow that show anymore.

The BSG forum is a manageable size. It's quite busy when new episodes are airing (it's no. 1 on the TV.com Top Ten List right now!) but it isn't as insanely big as the Lost or Heroes forum.

The Stargate Atlantis forum isn't that bad either although I don't find the discussions as intellectual and in-depth as on the BSG forum. I post on the Sports forum a lot too. Sports and television have a very close and important relationship but I see that many people on the site aren't sports fans. There are enough of us over there to keep that forum interesting too.

I tried to keep up with the Star Trek Remastered episodes thread for a while but I haven't been watching those new versions on a regular basis.
    Edited on 06/16/2008 12:42am
    Edited 2 total times.

Tronman100

[10]Jun 19, 2008
    • level: 11
    Hi everyone! I used to post semi-regularly around here, but school/work tends to keep me busy! so I'm not around much

I started watching TNG in 92/93 when it started airing on my local channel (didn't get cable for another 10 years lol). I was about 7 and used to watch it with my brother who was a big TOS fan. After that, I started watching TOS reruns and and DS9 and VOY when they came out. I love all of them though to be honest if I had to rank them, TOS is probably my least favorite. Heck, I'm watching a TNG rerun as I watch this (series finale)!

aph148

[11]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 9
    my1sunshine wrote:
    I know. That's one of the thing's I'd like to change, if i can. In the X-files forum, it's mostly shippers, wanting to see Mulder and Scully screw, instead of discussing stories and such. I mean they're nice girls, but...

Cheeky bugger!!! We talk about more stuff than that!!

Hi!
    Seen you around over at X-files, call me Aimes. I do love Star Trek TOS (although am currently in a slightly off phase of it, mainly due to being XF obsessed!). Saw your blog and thought I'd contribute to your efforts anyway. (Although after the above comment, maybe not!! )

Got into Star Trek TOS in about 1992/3. Also enjoy Voyager, and to a lesser extent Next Gen. Don't watch DS9 (except More Tribbles More Troubles!)

my1sunshine

[12]Jun 20, 2008
    Hey, Aimes. Caught! Seriously, I never meant to insult ya. . I'm glad you're taking it with a bit of humor. Using the X-Files forum as an example was a bad move, I guess. I love all my people in the X-Files forum..Piper, Ais, Claire, etc. I guess maybe I'm a little out of place there (age difference) and everybody knows everybody so well, and it's hard for me to get in their groove. Talk about episodes seems to veer into shipper stuff and gosip (my point of view), and I guess it's just not my thing. But I think it's cool you guys have such a good time. Everybody is very nice there. I feel so bad now. Anyway, no crucifictions, please, and it's very nice to meet you!

Mac-Ale

[13]Jun 20, 2008
    • level: 60
    I once thought it would be good to post a review in the forum and invite folks to talk about it. It might work here.

If I tried that at the "Route 66" board, I might get a read in a year or so.

aph148

[14]Jun 20, 2008
    Hey Ted, don't panic! No offense taken, and I'm sure none intended. As you noticed already, I don't take things too seriously!
    And you're right, you do have to find the actual XF talk amongst the gossip and banter. Did you see my recent in-depth (and oh so not serious)look at a certain FTF scene in the questions thread? See? Proper analysis!!

Mac-Ale, sounds like a good idea!

my1sunshine

[15]Jun 20, 2008
    LOL! I just saw that! Analysis of consumption of whisky is still analysis!

ascaffo

[16]Jul 30, 2008
    • level: 23

Its been awhile since anyone has posted here, but I am signing in. Ok. I started watching TOS reruns as a kid in the mid to late 70's. Then there were the movies. One of my most favorite lines went something like "I have been and shall always be your friend." When Spock died- I cried like a baby. Then they brought him back, and it made his death meaningless. On the otherhand, we got more Spock. I am still conflicted about that whole thing.

When TNG was coming out- I was boycotting it. Then I gave in, then I fell in love. It was great. Didn't get into DS9 a lot. I am planning on revisiting the series after discussions here at tv.com. I enjoyed Voyager. I loved Seven of Nine.

I watched Enterprise for two reasons. 1)Scott Bacula (I know that is spelled wrong.) I loved Quantum Leap. 2) It was more ST. It was alright. It certainly had a different feel. I took it for what it was, and went with it.

Oh, my name is Anne. I would love to have some good discussing regarding the movie or anything else.

knightfan

[17]Aug 1, 2008
    • level: 2

Well, I'm here 'cause you said to say hi, so.... "Hi, all!"

I became a Star Trek fan with TOS about three or four years ago. I'm a huge fan of Spock. I kind of started watching TNG, but I couldn't really get into it. It just wasn't the same somehow. I haven't looked at the other versions. Well, have fun with the new movie, everyone!

36th_Phantom

[20]Sep 26, 2008
    I new here, to tv.com and the board