Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Are you really a nerd if you like Star Trek?

captaindillo456

[1]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 18
    Many people will tell us we are nerds for liking star trek, do you concur with this?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sporkman5353

[2]Jul 28, 2007

captaindillo456 wrote:
    Many people will tell us we are nerds for liking star trek, do you concur with this?

Not always, it was popular in the 60's. I guess i do consider myself a nerd though but i like other nerdy things besides star trek.

millerem99

[3]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 51
    sporkman5353 wrote:

captaindillo456 wrote:

Not always, it was popular in the 60's. I guess i do consider myself a nerd though but i like other nerdy things besides star trek.

Ditto.

Tronman100

[4]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 11

I think, stereotypically speaking, generally nerds like Star Trek and people who like Star Trek are called nerds.

However, from my personal experience, this is pretty off base. I'm met people from all walks of life who like, and dislike Star Trek. I have friends who consider themselves nerds but do not like Star Trek. I have friends who are anything but nerds who do like Star Trek. Many people consider themselves 'nerds' for many reasons, having nothing to do with Star Trek. So, at best, YMMV.

PS: By "Star Trek", I mean the whole franchise, not just TOS. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.
    Edited on 07/28/2007 7:22am

alyssa01

[5]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 15
    I do personally consider my self a nerd but i really can't understand why liking star trek makes you a geek in most peoples eyes, it's quality entertainment! for instance my brother is always saying that i am sad for watching it but he watches football! a bunch of guys kicking a ball around a field for 1 1/2 hours. it doesn't make sense!

Tronman100

[6]Jul 28, 2007
    alyssa01 wrote:
    I do personally consider my self a nerd but i really can't understand why liking star trek makes you a geek in most peoples eyes, it's quality entertainment! for instance my brother is always saying that i am sad for watching it but he watches football! a bunch of guys kicking a ball around a field for 1 1/2 hours. it doesn't make sense!

I know how you feel, I've been arguing the same thing for years to little success. I've also been told I'm "sad" for watching it. I'm a guy, so for some reason it's more expected of me that I'd rather watch football (well actually Hockey since I'm Canadian lol) then Star Trek. Oh well, it's their loss, not ours.

captaindillo456

[7]Jul 28, 2007
    Tronman100 wrote:

I think, stereotypically speaking, generally nerds like Star Trek and people who like Star Trek are called nerds.

However, from my personal experience, this is pretty off base. I'm met people from all walks of life who like, and dislike Star Trek. I have friends who consider themselves nerds but do not like Star Trek. I have friends who are anything but nerds who do like Star Trek. Many people consider themselves 'nerds' for many reasons, having nothing to do with Star Trek. So, at best, YMMV.

PS: By "Star Trek", I mean the whole franchise, not just TOS. I'm not sure if that's what you meant.
    I mean TOS.

sporkman5353

[8]Jul 29, 2007
    captaindillo456 wrote:
    Tronman100 wrote:

I mean TOS.

TOS was very popular in the 60s

Tronman100

[9]Jul 29, 2007
    sporkman5353 wrote:
    captaindillo456 wrote:
    Tronman100 wrote:

I mean TOS.

TOS was very popular in the 60s

I'd always heard that Star Trek wasn't that popular when it was first one (which is why it got canceled), but then got popular in the reruns. And OK, I don't know as many people who are TOS fans, but I still know a variety of people who do and don't.

Deanna_T

[10]Jul 29, 2007
    • level: 28
    if someone calls you a nerd for liking trek, it just means they are sick, sad person who doesn't understand that trek is not a fantasy and far from it since it deals with current/political issues. but to each isown.as mentioned above with the sports and other show lovers.

captaindillo456

[11]Jul 30, 2007
    Deanna_T wrote:
    if someone calls you a nerd for liking trek, it just means they are sick, sad person who doesn't understand that trek is not a fantasy and far from it since it deals with current/political issues. but to each isown.as mentioned above with the sports and other show lovers.
    Actually I think we are nerds....

alyssa01

[12]Jul 30, 2007
    Well i say that if they wanna call us nerds then so be it. i am proud to be one if it means i am even an ounce more interesting than all those goddam sports fans!!!!!!!!!! TREKKIE NERDS FOREVER!:!

sfviewer

[13]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 27
    star trek fans are not necessarily nerds, many may be nerds. most of the nerds that i know don't even like star trek. trek is entertainment. most of trek fans probably know nothing about science. they watch star trek for the pure entertainment, and star trek is pure entertainment. the science stuff is just there to make it look cool.
    Edited on 07/30/2007 12:13pm

alyssa01

[14]Jul 31, 2007
    That is exactly the point i have tried to make to people who berate me for watching it but they don't seem to get it i guess us primitive humans are kinda set firm in our opinions huh!

cherrytree34

[15]Jul 31, 2007
    • level: 13
    Yes, but it's ok because you're not alone.

Martiangrl

[16]Jul 31, 2007

I always considered the terms "nerd" and "geek" compliments and terms of endearment. After all,nerds are the ones who run the world and are responsible for creating and maintaing all of humanity's latest technechological advances. So in actuality, if someone calls you a nerd for watching TOS, smile and thank them for their kind words. They are actually saying that your superior intellect has allowed you to appreciate the suberb writing quality of one of the finest shows on this planet.

Tronman100

[17]Jul 31, 2007
    Martiangrl wrote:

I always considered the terms "nerd" and "geek" compliments and terms of endearment. After all,nerds are the ones who run the world and are responsible for creating and maintaing all of humanity's latest technechological advances. So in actuality, if someone calls you a nerd for watching TOS, smile and thank them for their kind words. They are actually saying that your superior intellect has allowed you to appreciate the suberb writing quality of one of the finest shows on this planet.

Well said.

macadamwest

[18]Aug 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    I think, we are in fact nerds, but rather than looking at it rather negatively it is more of a positive thing because those that watch Star Trek and the series that follow have infact made ourselves open to a possibility that many have dismissed. Gene Roddenbury really has torn open a whole new idea and reality for us - and those who do not like star trek, I wonder if it is because they do not like the idea of possibly being stimulated by the mind and the wonder of what really is out there.

alyssa01

[19]Aug 1, 2007
    Thats a good point, most people believe that ignorance is bliss and are not willing to be open mindedbecouse they are scared of what they will find. These are probablythe people who dont like star trek!
    Edited on 08/01/2007 11:02am

sporkman5353

[20]Aug 7, 2007
    Martiangrl wrote:

Yep pretty much