Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Are you really a nerd if you like Star Trek?

ladybritcomfan

[21]Aug 11, 2007
    • level: 36

If being a Star Trek fan makes you a nerd then I'm one and proud of it!

Edited on 08/11/2007 6:03pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alyssa01

[22]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 15
    Me too ! ! !

trekgirldana

[23]Aug 12, 2007
    • level: 2

captaindillo456 wrote:
    Many people will tell us we are nerds for liking star trek, do you concur with this?

Who cares? I enjoy Star Trek because it's a great television show. And it's not like I go to work dressed as a Klingon!

ladybritcomfan

[24]Aug 16, 2007
    trekgirldana wrote:

captaindillo456 wrote:
    Many people will tell us we are nerds for liking star trek, do you concur with this?

Who cares? I enjoy Star Trek because it's a great television show. And it's not like I go to work dressed as a Klingon!

That would start some talk around the water cooler.

alyssa01

[25]Aug 16, 2007
    not as much as if you dressed like an Orion female!!

Deanna_T

[26]Aug 16, 2007
    • level: 28

captaindillo456 wrote:
    Deanna_T wrote:
    if someone calls you a nerd for liking trek, it just means they are sick, sad person who doesn't understand that trek is not a fantasy and far from it since it deals with current/political issues. but to each isown.as mentioned above with the sports and other show lovers.
    Actually I think we are nerds....

actually i meant if a fellow fan calls me a nerd then i'm cool with it. but a non fan calls me a nerd then i take it as an offence.

ladybritcomfan

[27]Aug 17, 2007
    Deanna_T wrote:

captaindillo456 wrote:
    Deanna_T wrote:
    if someone calls you a nerd for liking trek, it just means they are sick, sad person who doesn't understand that trek is not a fantasy and far from it since it deals with current/political issues. but to each isown.as mentioned above with the sports and other show lovers.
    Actually I think we are nerds....

actually i meant if a fellow fan calls me a nerd then i'm cool with it. but a non fan calls me a nerd then i take it as an offence.

I wouldn't let it bother me. Make their problem and not yours. You'll get the last laugh because they don't know what they're missing.

alyssa01

[28]Aug 17, 2007

We enjoy star trek because of the intellectual stimulation it offers.
    The people who call us nerds are the ones who watch football, wrestling and soap operas!!! Enough said!

Tronman100

[29]Aug 17, 2007
    • level: 11
    alyssa01 wrote:

We enjoy star trek because of the intellectual stimulation it offers.
    The people who call us nerds are the ones who watch football, wrestling and soap operas!!! Enough said!

Hehe, My mom is a big Soap Opera person. Whenever she's watching them, I laugh at the foolishness and non-nonsensical plots of the episodes. Then she turns around and points out that the plots in the Sci-Fi I watch are really just as nonsensical...I'm not quite sure how to counter that yet lol. Oh well, soaps still suck.

alyssa01

[30]Aug 17, 2007
    Well just tell her that in 10 years when the augments start a war and then the Vulcan's come to help us at least you will be prepared while she will be completely in the dark as to what to do if she is ever going to be sold on an Orion slave market. she'll either believe you or you will be sending messages from a nice white padded room soooo good luck!

Deanna_T

[31]Aug 18, 2007
    • level: 28

you know, i've had many of the same thoughts as mentioned above. i remember this one time, my so-called trek "fan" told me off me because i explaining the borg to him. it was so i actually started crying.

if wany of you want to add me to their friend list, add me!

oh, if i start a TOS caption game would any of you like to play along?

alyssa01

[32]Aug 19, 2007
    Ah bless ya!! and yeah i would play a TOS caption game i love those things!!!

123home123

[33]Aug 19, 2007
    • level: 55
    Martiangrl wrote:

I always considered the terms "nerd" and "geek" compliments and terms of endearment. After all,nerds are the ones who run the world and are responsible for creating and maintaing all of humanity's latest technechological advances.

Well, the richest man in the U.S. (Bill Gates) probably qualifies as a nerd or geek. So do other individuals on the list of the 10 wealthiest Americans (Paul Allen, Larry Ellison maybe) so maybe it's not so bad to be a geek.

There are probably people who distinguish between nerds and geeks but I think the distinction isn't that important for most people.

Sci-fi has had a tarnished reputation among non sci-fi fans, probably since the movies and shows of the 1930s, 1940s and 1950s. Many of those were childish and silly whereas science fiction originally began as a thoughtful, philosophical genre with writers like H.G. Wells. No doubt some sci-fi fans go overboard with their enthusiasm. One time on the subway, I sat in front of two guys who were discussing their Star Trek real-life role-playing game. They discussed their "missions" as though they were battle-hardened Vietnam War vets for over half an hour. Even though I used to watch Star Trek in grade school, I was a bit amazed at how deeply these two had gone into the fantasy world. But I also know many sci-fi fans who aren't like that.

Naturally many people in scientific fields tend to be sci-fi fans because many sci-fi shows involve logical and scientific solutions to problems. (Likewise, medical personnel may tend to watch shows like ER and policemen watched shows like NYPD Blue.) Star Trek has a large following among scientific types but the audience base also encompasses many non-scientists.

I guess being a Star Trek fan is like anything else entertainment-related. Enthusiasm is fine but some people might carry it a little too far like the person in England who redecorated his apartment to match the internal ship design from Star Trek Voyager. (I think he bankrupted himself doing that.) One criticism that isn't valid is the issue of costumes at Star Trek and other sci-fi conventions. I read a good defense of the practice somewhere in which the author pointed out the parallels to sports fans who wear garish and outlandish costumes to games. Examples include The Rainbow Man, the Washington Redskin Hogettes (a group of grown men who wear dresses and wigs, carry purses and place plastic pig noses on their faces at Redskin games) and Buffalo Elvis.

I don't watch Star Trek much anymore but I still like the series. I saw the original model of the Enterprise, which is displayed in the gift shop of the Smithsonian's Air and Space Museum. I watch more baseball than Star Trek these days but both are good, as long as you don't go overboard with either.

lobomensch

[34]Aug 20, 2007
    • level: 51
    I've often found that the Corporate mainstream media is the main reason for the perceptions of "nerd/geek" Star Trek fans in depictions/coverage of Trek fandom in general. Like when they beat it over everyone's head for weeks about the mentally unstable juror that wore a NG uniform to a murder trial back in '94, I think. Same goes for any "documentary" done on MSM about Trek fans, cherry-picking the worst and spotlighting them rather than most normal people that are Trek fans. It's a very insidious form of proto-fascist propaganda, showing disdain for anything of an intellectual bent, such as Trek's message of humanity working together to overcome problems, something the elite in this society fear.
    I've had a sex life on par with Kirk's, (maybe wilder in some aspects) wear cowboy boots and hats, (part of my upbringing in Texas of course) and have a number of friends including one close friend that I've described as almost being Tyler Durden to some degree. If that sounds like a "nerd/geek" life, then people that say that should really get out more often and see what the real world is like.

macadamwest

[35]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 3
    You hit the nail on the head right there- that there really is a huge disdane for anything that even mentions something new and exciting that would lean more towards the intellectuals.

But then again- most cater to the dumb masses. *shrugs*

Mikoto_sohma

[36]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 4
    I think it doesn't matter.

I mean things associated with Star Trek are "nerd" "geek" or "loser" but people who watch Sci Fi are people open to the future and have a good brain capacity because they can remember complex terms and understand complex concepts. Also, they have a wide vocabulary

It doesn't matter anyway... c'mon, if you'd call me any of those I mentioned, I'd be complimented. Especially "weirdo", that's a huge compliment to me. I was insulted when my trekkie test result was "wannabe trekkie" just cuz I dont go to convensions!! RAWR...

alyssa01

[37]Aug 25, 2007
    I know i live in a almost remote area of england and i just don't have the opportunity to go to conventions and apparently that makes me less of a trekkie!!but everything that goes on at conventions you can do on the Internet even buy collectables!!

Tronman100

[38]Aug 26, 2007
    alyssa01 wrote:
    I know i live in a almost remote area of england and i just don't have the opportunity to go to conventions and apparently that makes me less of a trekkie!!but everything that goes on at conventions you can do on the Internet even buy collectables!!

Nah, it's one thing if you have the opportunity to go to conventions but just don't, and a totally different thing not to be able to go all together. But even regardless of that, you are as much a trekkie as you want to be and to hell with anyone who says elsewise.

I've always wanted to go to a convention though, hopefully someday when I graduate and have a good job I can go to a Las Vegas one for a vacation or something.

the_viewer

[39]Sep 1, 2007
    • level: 4

obviously your not a nerd if you watch star trek, you're a geek (which I am)

you see:

A nerd is what people normally think of when someone says nerd, has high IQ, has huge framed glasses, etc. but a geek is someone who is into sci-fi or Dungeons & Dragons, and I'm proud to be a geek!

Martiangrl

[40]Sep 9, 2007
    You don't have to have glasses to be a nerd (though it helps ). You can be a geek and a nerd at the same time. Personally, I tend to go by this definition.