Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Are you really a nerd if you like Star Trek?

M00N-CAT

[41]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 7
    Personally no if you watch star trek you are not a nerd on the other hand people who watch star wars are nerds
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jrapaport

[42]Oct 11, 2007
    • level: 5

Dear all,

Whether or not you like Star Trek doesn't qualify or disqualify one as a nerd. I have never liked Star Trek, but as a TV analyst I've watched a good deal of it. Knowing a brief history of the show, it was not popular when it first aired, but in re-runs it took on a life of its own. I think the only thing liking the show does say, is that you are not too critical of the TV you watch. The show, like many other popular shows, has many errors and flaws. Critically, it is not a successful venture, such as other TV shows that have added more to society, politically and socially. Financially, the show is a gold mine. What I will say though, is discussing whether or not it makes you a nerd if you watch it, probably makes you more of a nerd than just watching it. But then again, I study TV and Film for a living (and have a PhD), so I guess I am a nerd. Let the discussion carry on.

Jared Rapaport

lazyjay

[43]Oct 13, 2007
    • level: 30
    I usually identify myself as a geek rather than a nerd (since geek seems to be less derogatory), but since both of those monikers are typically assigned by someone other than myself it is really in the eye of the beholder. To some I'm a nerd and to others I'm a geek and to still others I'm neither... take your pick, it doesn't really matter. I've known serious jocks and some over the top body-painting sport fans (jokingly, I refer to them as sport geeks and sport nerds) who like Star Trek more than I do. Most of them object strongly to being called either geek or nerd, and most other people don't apply those labels to them, never the less...

Anyway, choice of entertainment isn't a valid indicator of personality traits. I enjoy most of all of the various incarnations of Star Trek (maybe that means I'm not selective enough in my entertainment choices, and yes, I love Star Wars eps. 4,5, and 6... this aside is in response to recent previous posts) and my favorite is DS9, perhaps the most non-formulaic series of the franchise. Does that (dis)qualify me as a nerd? You decide.

jrapaport wrote:
    ...as a TV analyst I've watched a good deal of it [star trek]...

...I study TV and Film for a living (and have a PhD)...

Jared Rapaport

I don't want to come off as a smart @ss in asking this because I'm genuinely interested. What exactly does a TV analyst do? What do *you* do in your role as a TV analyst? When I search for that term on my favorite search engine most of the results imply that TV analysts are color commentators for sporting event brodcasts, but I get the distinct impression from your post that you are involved in a different area of research. Is your profession sociological research or market research or something else?

seto1

[44]Oct 17, 2007
    • level: 16
    WELL TO ME ANYWAY NOWadays its hard to say clear cut whose is a nerd and who isnt cause they are some gry areas but generally i have more nerd traits even though i like to hang out and play spots also

elara_ananke

[45]Dec 4, 2007
    • level: 8

I wouldn't call myself a nerd just for liking everything Star Trek - but if someone called me one, I wouldn't really mind.

jrapaport wrote:
    such as other TV shows that have added more to society, politically and socially.
    I'd be interested to hear an example of all these "other TV shows" that were as influential throughout the decades as Star Trek. Not many shows have spawned so many SUCCESSFUL movies, spin-off series, novels, encyclopedias and even dissertations (on everything, ranging from Star Trek philosophy to ethics to physics).

Edited on 12/04/2007 4:32am

Kadodian

[46]Dec 11, 2007
    • level: 23
    I'm a star trek fan and I'm not a nerd

CoolUserName

[47]Dec 28, 2007
    • level: 7
    I like Trek, sports and video games. That makes me a regular dude rather than a nerd.

FrozenHeart_

[48]Jan 1, 2008
    • level: 8

No.

Perhaps "nerds" are drawn to this kind of shows, But that doesnt necesseraly make all of them one,
    Now it depends on what you think a nerd is, But take me as an example, I have seen all startrek shows and movies, Still I go out with my friendson theweekend drinking, I got plenty of girls to play with, Ive never been bullied, I dont sit alone at home playing DnD, And I was a very popular guy in school, So atleast im not a stereotypical one, So it really depends since there is no being anything, Theres only differentviews.

Ray_Gun

[49]Jan 6, 2008
    • level: 2

I'm a nerd, but I don't let it be the defining principle of my life. Being unique is the defining principle of my life.

But seriously, why are people so obsessed with being such conformists? Most people I know are obsessed with heir image, clothes, popularity, physical appearance, etc. But those things are so trivial and insignificant in the long run. Star Trek is a hopeful vision of the future which only intelligant people seem to appriciate these days. And if watching it makes me a nerd, then that's fine by me.

Japanthewoman

[50]Jan 7, 2008
    • level: 6

My understanding of "nerd" is anacademic and "geek" is someone with a specialized interests though not necessarily an acedemic one. I like to think of myself more as a geek is anything though it's kind ofstrange its connotations nowa days compared to its original meaning.

But in a way, Ido think people who loveStar Treakdeserve to be called a word that distinguishes them from everyone else. Maybe not nerd or geek but something. We are a different kind of people and I appreciate those who can appreciate the show. It may not have been popular when it first aired but it was revolutionary nonetheless and people in the present who like itrealizehow it was important for back then.

lobomensch

[51]Jan 11, 2008
    • level: 51
    Try watching "Nightmare Alley" (1947) -- it will change your opinion for good on the definition of "geek". As for "nerds," didn't that term go out with the 80s?

millerem99

[52]Mar 31, 2008
    • level: 51

lobomensch wrote:
    Try watching "Nightmare Alley" (1947) -- it will change your opinion for good on the definition of "geek". As for "nerds," didn't that term go out with the 80s?

I don't know, I use it on my husband all the time. But then, he's a product of the '80s so who knows. (He insists he's a "jock" but I know better).

spookyspock

[53]Apr 7, 2008
    • level: 3
    Totally and completely.....

rhea77

[54]Apr 12, 2008
    • level: 2

After my own definitions I would be both, although I don't think that fans necessarily have to be nerds. There are some star trek fans who might not qualify as nerds or geeks, and the other way around I presume. But I would think statistically the correlation between Star-Trek-fanhood and nerdiness is rather high. It may depend on the definition of both factors, I think. Where does mere interest end and fanhood start? Which kind of person has to be considered a nerd? Which kind has just nerdy tendencies here and there?

my1sunshine

[55]May 15, 2008
    • level: 12
    jrapaport wrote:

Dear all,

Whether or not you like Star Trek doesn't qualify or disqualify one as a nerd. I have never liked Star Trek, but as a TV analyst I've watched a good deal of it. Knowing a brief history of the show, it was not popular when it first aired, but in re-runs it took on a life of its own. I think the only thing liking the show does say, is that you are not too critical of the TV you watch. The show, like many other popular shows, has many errors and flaws. Critically, it is not a successful venture, such as other TV shows that have added more to society, politically and socially. Financially, the show is a gold mine. What I will say though, is discussing whether or not it makes you a nerd if you watch it, probably makes you more of a nerd than just watching it. But then again, I study TV and Film for a living (and have a PhD), so I guess I am a nerd. Let the discussion carry on.

Jared Rapaport

First of all, what I would say qualifies you as a nerd, is going to the site of a TV show that you have "never liked", and deliberatly insulting fans of it in a smarmy, yet obvious way. Dude, you need a better way to occupy your time. (clears throat)..ok, now I feel better. Second, calling a Trek fan a nerd is a cliche, and a dumb and overused one at that. It's generally used to describe someone that is a freak over something that the mainstream isn't. Star Trek hasn't been JUST TOS for a long time. It is now, and has been, a vast universe of several incarnations, and you can't really seperate them anymore. I think it's lost fans since the cash cow was "overmilked", let's say with Enterprise (not that i didn't like Enterprise, but the franchise needed a break after Voyager ended.) But prior to that, it was very mainstream, so I don't really see how the term Nerd applies. (Gee, have i belabored the point yet?) Lol.

Edited on 05/15/2008 5:35pm

revbucky

[56]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 22
    Martiangrl wrote:

I always considered the terms "nerd" and "geek" compliments and terms of endearment. After all,nerds are the ones who run the world and are responsible for creating and maintaing all of humanity's latest technechological advances. So in actuality, if someone calls you a nerd for watching TOS, smile and thank them for their kind words. They are actually saying that your superior intellect has allowed you to appreciate the suberb writing quality of one of the finest shows on this planet.

I'm with you!

mak1701

[57]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 3
    youe not alone starbase 24 is out there

lazyjay

[58]Sep 14, 2008
    • level: 30
    Japanthewoman wrote:
    But in a way, Ido think people who loveStar Treakdeserve to be called a word that distinguishes them from everyone else. Maybe not nerd or geek but something. We are a different kind of people and I appreciate those who can appreciate the show.

I think the word you are looking for is "Trekkie".

jrsgalaxy

[59]Oct 26, 2008
    • level: 14
    honestly no. I think many people are classified as geeks because when talking about something they love and usually its like anime , roleplaying and stuff like that they usually dont fit into the popular culture. But when someone talks about football and other popular things like that with the same enthusiasm its ok. i just think most people see things like roleplaying games and SCIFI shows where you actually have to use your intellect and imagination coupled with creativity to enjoy such things they see it as childish. Where as to enjoy sports you can just mindleessly watch without ever having to turn your brain on. So anything remotely using your brain is automatically feared and shunned. So whenever calls you a nerd or geek hes alerting you to the fact that you intimidate him so he is going to try and do it first. So take it as a compliment and he is actually telling you that he is mentally inferior and you scare the hell out of him.