Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Groundbreaking choice in actors!

baskok

[1]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 9

What i noticed was that during themiddleto late sixties they had a show called star trek with aRussianhelmsman aJapanesenavigator and a black woman in the cast. All very controversial. Is this the reason why it wasn't picked up at the time? Was america not ready for such a cast? I think so. We all know that the US is well known for it's racial problems.

So just imagine your a 45 five year old man with your wife baking cookies in the kitchen then a new show begins Hey this is neet. A sci fi show. Hey honey a black woman oh my aJapaneseactor. Wife comes over and says what is this for kind of show. I don't know. oh my god aRussianman honey turn of the television set. I don't wan't that kinda ofridiculousfilth in my small mindedlittleworld. But his son secretly enjoys the adventures of the entire cast and soon he begins to see them all working together for a common goal. He let's his hair grown and rebels against the strict rules of his time. Because the future might be better and we're all humans. especially in theworldof star trek with so many species.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 18

We watch it in the 60s and we lived in the Bible Belt of the South. We are also white cotton mill family and don't remember anyone family. friends, classmates or anyone in our verry small town even bring up the cast. I may be odd but it was not until I was an adult and read things about the show that I realized the cast was unlike the other shows. Oh we watched I Spy also.

Oh, by the way the Russion did not come until season 2 so the 45 year old man would have to have a tv that looked into the future.

Edited on 06/09/2011 2:51pm

millerem99

[3]Aug 19, 2011
    • level: 51

Baskok, thatreasoning is a bit pie-in-the-sky, because if that were the case, TOS would have only run one season. And as for the U.S. being singular to racial problems, every country has bigotry; only those who have managed to shut out or to exterminate their minorities might not.

Edited on 08/19/2011 7:10pm

archangelwho

[4]Aug 20, 2011
    • level: 18

We watched I Spy, Mission Impossible and we were deep south cotton mill people and I never remembercounting the number of non-white. In fact I still believe that was Bill's greatest role.

ChipsTheButler

[5]Aug 28, 2011
    • level: 9
    Totally agree.