Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Guilty Pleasures

LithiumAngel420

[1]Apr 5, 2006
    • level: 4
    Everyone has those episodes that they *know* fans didn't like, but can't help to like themselves. Staying with the current theme, these are my Guilty Pleasures (in no particular order...okay, well, the order in which they came to mind, how's that?):

The Next Generation
    "The Loss"
    I know it was cheesy and all, but I was really happy to see the few scenes in this episode where Marina was able to do something besides be calm and concerned.

"Skin of Evil"
    I am a Tasha fan (okay, that's another thread) so I love anything that allowed Denise to show off her ability to get angry. (Let's face it, there were only so many emotions Tasha portrayed - that's why Denise left.) Also, scenes where Tasha is the center of attention... that sort of thing. Hey, she was only there for a short (crappy) season. So this episode should be self explanatory.

"Yesterday's Enterprise"
    What? This is a fan favorite... so why put it on this list? I'm a sucker for time travel episodes, and I didn't like this one. I only watch it for the return of - you guessed it - Tasha Yar. I figure, hey, that's kind of a guilty pleasure.

"The Quality of Life"
    Data is my very favorite character (to put it mildly), so any episode that focuses on him is cool by me - even if the plot line is shaky. Speaking of...

"In Theory"
    Not only do I like to see what it would be like if Data took a mate, but I also like to see Brent get to stretch a little. Even though most of this episode makes me cringe, I treasure the moment when he gets up off the couch and turns around to say "perhaps there is something wrong with YOU!"

"The Naked Now"
    Title sounds good to someone who hasn't seen it, huh? Um, no. I like Data, I like Tasha... why do you think I like this episode...? "We are more alike than unalike, my dear Captain." THUD.

"Datalore"
    Introduces Lore. Two Brents. Opportunity for Brent to speak with contractions. I like it. Wish he would have shot Wesley, though...

"Time's Arrow"
    No one seems to like this one, but it has Data and Time Travel... what's not to like?

"Ship In A Bottle"
    I liked being tricked. This episode was better the first time I saw it, but it still pleases me to see Broccoli say, at the end, "Computer, end program."

"Second Chances"
    A little romance between a Frakes role and Troi and then a little more love from Riker at the end there... not to mention that there are two of em! Way better than in "Time Squared" when there was two Picards.

"Future Imperfect"
    A look at one version of the future - albeit an alien child's version.

Star Trek VII: Generations
    This one is actually my favorite. I know you guys are TOS fans and I haven't seen it (yet), but I liked this movie in spite of the *supposedly* unworthy death Kirk was given. This seems to be the major gripe with the fans (not to mention the discontinuity with the TNG episode "Relics"), but it really doesn't bother me. I think that it was befitting of what Kirk stood for and that we should be lucky at all that Berman wrote ANY part of the original cast into the script.

Okay, so it's all TNG... shoot me. I haven't seen much of anything else (as I have explained many times in this forum before).

What about you guys? What are your Guilty Pleasures?
    Edited on 04/05/2006 12:54am
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SRP76

[2]Apr 5, 2006
    • level: 10
    Well, I'm not sure, because most of the episodes I enjoy are in the "safe" range, so I'll pick some of my "less artistic value" favorites.

TOS "The Way to Eden"- MUCH better than its movie ripoff, The Final Frontier, in my opinion. Corny as hell ("his name was Adam", indeed!), but a decent premise.

TOS "The City on the Edge of Forever"- one of the most famous episodes, but nobody I know seems to like it. Why? I thought it was fun to watch. Some younger fans moan and gripe that we don't actually SEE Joan Collins get smeared by a car, but come ON, it was 1967! TV wasn't as open as today.

DS9 "Take Me Out to the Holosuite"- gets almost universally a thumbs-down, but I enjoyed it. No life-and-death drama, no "the bad guys are gonna kill us ALL!" stuff, just the crew shown having FUN.

TNG "Skin of Evil"- yes, most people like this. But I enjoy this episode for all the WRONG reasons! I couldn't STAND Natasha Yar! "I had a crappy childhood, rapists everywhere were after me, I had to eat out of trash cans, I walked to school uphill both ways, my dog ate my homework, waa, waa, waa, waa, freakin' WAAA!!!". I didn't feel sorry for her, I got sick of her incessant moaning and groaning. As if that weren't enough, they made her out to be this "History's Greatest Warrior". Yeah, that's believable. With a Klingon right next to her for comparison, no less.
    All THAT being said, I LOVED this episode just for the chance to see Yar kick the bucket. Even better, it was her own attitude problem the cost her her life. If Armus says "NO" when you want to get to the shuttle, he MEANS it. Yar tried to just blow him off, and she got blown away. Good riddance. I only wish this had taken place in the second season, so Wesley and Pulaski could have been rubbed out, as well! And no, I didn't bawl when Ol' Yeller got shot, either.

Star Trek: Nemesis- I know that most people hated this, and I can't imagine why. Sure, B-4 is a plot hole in himself, and Data's sacrifice just SCREAMS "Spock Ripoff", but I enjoyed the movie. And I liked Troi "feeling out" the cloaked Scimitar. After 15 long years, she FINALLY makes herself useful (you guessed it, I don't care for Troi, either).

AlanShore

[3]Apr 6, 2006
    • level: 3
    SRP76 wrote:

TNG "Skin of Evil"- yes, most people like this. But I enjoy this episode for all the WRONG reasons! I couldn't STAND Natasha Yar! "I had a crappy childhood, rapists everywhere were after me, I had to eat out of trash cans, I walked to school uphill both ways, my dog ate my homework, waa, waa, waa, waa, freakin' WAAA!!!". I didn't feel sorry for her, I got sick of her incessant moaning and groaning. As if that weren't enough, they made her out to be this "History's Greatest Warrior". Yeah, that's believable. With a Klingon right next to her for comparison, no less.
    All THAT being said, I LOVED this episode just for the chance to see Yar kick the bucket. Even better, it was her own attitude problem the cost her her life. If Armus says "NO" when you want to get to the shuttle, he MEANS it. Yar tried to just blow him off, and she got blown away. Good riddance. I only wish this had taken place in the second season, so Wesley and Pulaski could have been rubbed out, as well! And no, I didn't bawl when Ol' Yeller got shot, either.

Oh my God, you said this better than I ever could. Right on!

lobomensch

[4]Apr 6, 2006
    • level: 51
    My guilty pleasures rank among my favorites, mainly for very camp acting and hammy scenes, with plenty of cheese on side.

"Whom Gods Destroy" - Steve Inhat chews the scenery and the script, stealing it even from Shatner. Loved his exaggerated cadence in his voice, not to mention some of the most over the top lines in the whole series.

"I, Mudd" - Great chance for ensemble humor here, more than "Trouble With Tribbles," and I enjoy Harry's frustrations with "Stella" especially.

"The Game" - Explained this before, with the on-screen bloopers, though the Robin/Wesley scenes do trigger gag-reflex.

"Liasons" - Loved the aliens trying so hard to explore the human facets of love, pleasure, and adversarial behavior. All three supporting actors in the roles of the ambassadors deserve extra credit for this episode.