Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Hello! I'm new! I love Star Trek TOS :) r.o

macadamwest

[1]Feb 21, 2007
    • level: 3

Hi Everybody!
    I'm new here. I am sure this has been discussed a million times but I'm just recently getting into Star Trek. 

I am wondering- Is there almost a deep friendship between Spock and Bones? I know that they have the common deep friendship with Jim but what about each other? They bicker a lot but I've noticed a lot of Episodes where they will team up with each other or where they will help each other out. They seem to only really dislike each other when Jim is around. What is everyones thoughts on this?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

seto1

[2]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 16
    hi fellow star trek lover the strange relationship between bones and spock is mostly out of a kinda disfunctional friendship they share but also they secretly  thinks kirk likes the other more when this is clearly not the case,if you like this star trek u would love the others

alex20020712

[3]Feb 22, 2007
    • level: 7
    macadamwest wrote:
    I am wondering- Is there almost a deep friendship between Spock and Bones? I know that they have the common deep friendship with Jim but what about each other? They bicker a lot but I've noticed a lot of Episodes where they will team up with each other or where they will help each other out. They seem to only really dislike each other when Jim is around. What is everyones thoughts on this?

The Holy Trinity of Kirk, Spock and McCoy is vaguely representative of the id (McCoy), ego (Kirk), and super-ego (Spock).

In any case, they all care very much about each other, and in spite of the bickering, they have expressed their feelings of friendship many times in the series and the movies. For example, see McCoy in Star Trek III.

Deanna_T

[4]Feb 24, 2007
    • level: 28
    hi!! about thier friendship. remeber in "amok time" when they were in the turbo lift & spock invites mccoy to the pon-farr? spockito mentioned that closet friends are invited to watch. good thing mccoy went and included some type nuetralizer to knock kirk out. kirk & spock fighting was HOT! um..i think kirk would be the id because the id part is the 3rd part of the mind and it is the one that says "i want, i want, give me, give me" hence kirk always trying to hump things. take for example kirks otherself trying to rape yeoman rand. mccoy would be the ego because he's the middle man and one who is the most "normal" out of the 3. like that time kirk was making out with some alien queen chick when mccoy & spock

Buffylover365

[5]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 16

alex20020712 wrote:
    The Holy Trinity of Kirk, Spock and McCoy is vaguely representative of the id (McCoy), ego (Kirk), and super-ego (Spock).

I really think that, with the way Kirk considers himself God's gift to women, HE should be the "super-ego".

my1sunshine

[6]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 12

I don't think what Spock and McCoy have between them can be called love, but definately a deep bond, Perhaps it could be called friendship. Spock and Bones definately get under each other's skin. McCoy, because McCoy is the essence of humanity, and he is so erraticly emotional and passionate about the human side of the argument, and to point out Spock's "cold bloodedness", though he knows that there's more to Spock than that. He just likes to use Spock as a vent for his anger often, and to plain out bust chops. Spock is so ready to point out the barbaric side of humanity in his banters with McCoy, though he also knows how wonderful humans can be...he just wants to give as good as he gets (which he usually does..in spades). But at the heart of the matter...McCoy and Spock really care about the other deeply, in their own way. And they also know each other much more than they care to admit. Witness the scene in "Bread and Circuses", when the two are in the cell. Kirk is apart from them, for all they know he's being tortured...( he's actually getting laid...again, LOL" Spock is trying to escape, and McCoy is trying to thank Spock for saving his life in the arena. Spock rudely brushes aside McCoys genuine apologetic nature, which infuriates McCoy..into cutting Spock deeper to his core than ever. " You know why you're not afraid to die, Spock? You're more afraid of living. Every moment you live is another moment you might slip, and let your emotional side peek through. Why you probably wouldn't know what to do with a genuine emotion..." etc. ( I don't remember the quote exactly, but that's pretty close). This is probably the most defining moment of their relationship in the entire series. As McCoy tries to cut Spock open..you can see his words affecting Spock emotionally, in a genuine way. Spock is looking down during McCoys jibe the entire time. When McCoy is finished, after a beat or two, Spock looks up at McCoy and in a not so genuinly sarcastic way, simply retorts..."Really, Doctor?". And you just know that , in Spocks own way..he actually saying you're right, and?....McCoy sees that look, takes a moment...puts his arm onto Spock and says.." I know. I'm worried about Jim too." So it comes back to Kirk again. They are friends, but it's Kirk who is the glue to holding them together. Without Kirk..they fall apart.

At least until Spock dies and McCoy gets his Katra. Then, I think they understand each other and get closer than ever before. I love McCoy's speach to the comotose, mindless Spock in Star Trek 3 " It seems I've missed you. And i don't know if I can stand to loose you again. Spock is back...but not all there. Remember how McCoy is constantly watching over him because "he's not exactly working on all thrusters" ? Lol! Once Spock is back to normal, there is definately a noticable hightened respect there. And I think they are closer..but niether will ever admit it. Would they be the Spock and McCoy we love if they did? What fun would it be if we didn't hear the arguments every once in a while? Yeah, it is friendship. Maybe, you COULD even say..love.

Edited on 06/08/2008 7:27am
    Edited 2 total times.

millerem99

[7]Jun 8, 2008
    • level: 51
    Great thoughts from everyone on an interesting thread. To add to that, I simply wanted to point out that McCoy is the compassionate part of that "trinity" mentioned here earlier, and so he's the most human. Spock's antipathy towards emotionalism naturally reacts to that, while McCoy's nature finds such a stoic, immovable exterior on the part of Spock difficult to reconcile. I believe that absolutely there is a deep mutual respect and fondness underlying the bouts that come into play throughout the series. There is also something reminiscent of Doc and Festus on Gunsmoke about their love-hate friendship.

revbucky

[8]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 22
    Think of how hollow the show would be without Bones and Spock going at it. Add Kirk to the mix and you have the spice that gives the show great flavor.