Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

How to do a new Star Trek series (ideas?)

lobomensch

[1]Mar 7, 2006
    • level: 51
    I was thinking along the lines of setting this around 30 years after Kirk's tenure. This would put it around the beginning of the Cardassian occupation of Bajor, and around the time the Romulans "disappeared". Given the very poor treatment of them in "Nemesis" and the time dedicated to them on DS9, time to focus on someone else. Same goes for the Klingons, though they could be occasional guests. The reason I say this is at this point in time, relations between them and the Federation are just beginning to thaw, hence their not being in constant contact with the Federation.
    Also, this would be a good time to use another ship, other than the Enterprise -- the Excalibur comes to mind, given it's history. It would serve as a good bridge between the Constellation and Galaxy Classes show, and where the Enterprise-C evolved from. Would also be a good reason to avoid the yuppie captain of the B and respect the integrity of Captain Garrovick and her future sacrifice.
    Many races from TOS/NG/DS9 could be shown in their formative and advanced stages, and characters such as Kurzon Dax, Tam Elbrun, Noonian Soong, and even an Admiral Sulu could be shown. This could be a show to bridge the series and give real Trek fans something to look forward to as well as the general public a real scope of the Trek universe. Suggestions?
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

SRP76

[2]Mar 7, 2006
    • level: 10
    Your idea is well thought-out, but there is just ONE THING that bothers me.

This would basically be a prequel to TNG, etc., just like Enterprise. I have a huge problem with prequels! Like Enterprise, you couldn't really introduce anything new. For example: you might want a hostile force( like the Borg in TNG, or the Dominion in DS9) to be an archenemy of our heroes. Here's where the problem happens; how can our villains be enough of a threat to make us worry about the safety of our heroes, while, at the same time, how can our villains be insignificant enough to NEVER be mentioned in any subsequent series? See what I mean? It could be a good "Trek History Lesson Series", but how could we use something NEW without tearing up the established Trek timeline?

My idea for a new Trek series would (obviously, given my rant) pick up after Voyager and Star Trek: Nemesis left off.

Much like TNG, the main selling point early would be the new ship. Name it what you want, I haven't thought of anything!
    The new ship would incorporate the more advanced, high-end technologies established, for the most part, in Voyager.
    Think "Delta Flyer", only full-sized and a lot meaner (perhaps using that Multiple-Vector separation mode we saw on the experimental anti-Dominion ship).

Beyond the ship, I haven't really given it much thought.

LithiumAngel420

[3]Mar 7, 2006
    • level: 4
    I agree with SRP on all counts. The only thing to hash out is WHAT WOULD THEY DO? TNG was cool cuz we hadn't had a series in so long AND it took a jump into the future. DS9 introduced us to the distant Gamma Quadrant and it's inhabitants. Voyager took us to the Delta Quadrant... what's left? The Beta Quadrant? No, we were exploring there long ago.

So maybe we need to do what Paramount and the powers that be did: go further into the future, maybe by another 100 or 200 years. Maybe we could accidentally permeate subspace and get lost (yea, a lot like Voyager, I know) or find a new area of space with an improved warp drive (or perhaps quantum slipstream). New technology = new possibilities.

LithiumAngel420

[4]Mar 7, 2006
    SRP76 wrote:
    Think "Delta Flyer", only full-sized and a lot meaner (perhaps using that Multiple-Vector separation mode we saw on the experimental anti-Dominion ship).

I believe you are referring to the USS Permetheus from "Message In a Bottle." It was an experimental prototype for deep-space tactical missions (and one bad-@$$ ship). The mode you refer to is actually called the "Multi-Vector Assault Mode." That's one of my favorite Voyager episodes.

SRP76

[5]Mar 7, 2006
    WAIT A MINUTE!! Please disregard everything I said in my previous post.
    I just remembered a series idea so OBVIOUS, that I can't believe they did Enterprise instead of this.

Watch VGR episodes "Future's End" and "Relativity". The Aeon and the Relativity. 29th century. TIMESHIPS!!

Just do a series about the timeships! Obvious!

Every week could be one of those crowd-pleasing "time travel" episodes. Time travel is VERY popular. From TV shows like "Voyagers" and "Quantum Leap", to movies like "Back to the Future" and "The Terminator", time travel always brings the viewers.

Those VGR episodes seemed to serve to introduce JUST such a series. How could I have missed it?!

LithiumAngel420

[6]Mar 7, 2006
    Even better! But.. what about the Temporal Prime Directive? Wouldn't going back to change things cause Temporal Paradoxes? (Big fan of the Back To The Future Trilogy here.) In addition, there is a show SO similar it's not funny. Ever seen TimeCop? Same thing.
    Edited on 03/08/2006 3:42pm

AlanShore

[7]Mar 8, 2006
    • level: 3
    I always wanted to have one set in the late 29th century...if you remember Captain Braxton and his timeship from Voyager; I thought that was a great concept.

Hey, Lobo, when you mentioned Captain Garrovick, didn't you mean Garrett? Garrovick was Kirk's first captain.

SRP76

[8]Mar 8, 2006
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    Even better! But.. what about the Temporal Prime Directive? Wouldn't going back to change things cause Temporal Paradoxes? (Big fan of the Back To The Future Trilogy here.) In addition, there is a show SO similar it's not funny. Ever seen TimeCop? Same thing.

I hadn't realized that they made a series out of Timecop, I only knew about the movie. Speaking of the movie, we could cast Van Damme as the Captain (ha, ha, first Starfleet Captain to do the splits on the bridge)... or maybe not!

But this could be very dissimilar. The crew wouldn't be "policing" time, they would be observing (for the most part). Plus, it's not JUST earth. They could explore the pasts of the Klingons (witness the birth of the sword of Kahless), the Bajorans (secrets of the Prophets revealed), or ANYBODY.

Also, remember TOS episode "Assignment: Earth"? Our heroes just might cross paths with Gary Seven on occasion.

And imagine how the Q Continuum could be worked into several of the stories (THEY'D be the timecops, making sure we don't screw with the Big Bang, or something).

There could be plenty of good story possibilities.

lobomensch

[9]Mar 11, 2006
    Oh goody! We could have Captain Braxton eating jelly babies and wearing a multi-colored scarf too. Really, I thought this was Star Trek, not Rip Hunter, Time Master. If we are to do a sequel, then at least let it be after Voyager, or around that time period. Setting it that much further in the future will make it far-fetched to most people.

LithiumAngel420

[10]Mar 11, 2006
    lobomensch wrote:
    Oh goody! We could have Captain Braxton eating jelly babies and wearing a multi-colored scarf too. Really, I thought this was Star Trek, not Rip Hunter, Time Master. If we are to do a sequel, then at least let it be after Voyager, or around that time period. Setting it that much further in the future will make it far-fetched to most people.

lmfao

SRP76

[11]Mar 11, 2006
    Too far-fetched? HUH?! ALL of STAR TREK is FAR-FETCHED!! Oh, well...

We STILL need to figure out WHAT the characters are going to be doing. As was stated earlier, the entire Milky Way has been explored, so we have to go beyond. Next closest is the Andromeda Galaxy. Perhaps we can find some interesting stories there.

Before getting into the whole "energy barrier at the edge of the galaxy" debate, remember, there IS NO BARRIER IN REAL LIFE! Find a way around it. Remember TOS "By Any Other Name"? If the Kelvans can cross galaxies, so can we.

But what kind of things could we have there? Any ideas?

AlanShore

[12]Mar 12, 2006
    • level: 3
    lobomensch wrote:

His time ship DID vaguely look like a phone booth...

lobomensch

[13]Mar 28, 2006
    The reason I stated a future Trek would be too far-fetched was not in terms of realism, but in connection people would make with the show. Setting it that far ahead doesn't leave any common ground most people identify with all of the series. We really don't need Romulans, Klingons, etc. as main characters, used enough already. What does that leave us? No links to any of the other series in terms of characters, and that would really lose a lot of people from the start.
    Remember how Alien 3 started? I was lost after the first 10 minutes wasn't only one either, in killing off Newt & Hicks - distancing yourself in a series only creates a vacuum that is too hard to fill. I think Vermin proved that with Enterprise. If the Xindi were so bad, why do we only hear about them in this series? Saying that it was that far in the past - 200 years - and it wouldn't be actively discussed/remembered is a lame cop-out - Eugenics Wars, Zephrem Cochrane etc. were well-remembered, they did take history at the Academy - well, oops, I forgot those characters came in BEFORE Vermin and his total disregard of continuity. Good continuity is what kept Trek together as long as it did, before this fiasco, and that is what I am pointing out here. If we see a future series coming from the same morons, like Enterprise, it won't survive either.

SRP76

[14]May 18, 2006
    Hey, Tronman, help us out with this!

Tronman100

[15]May 18, 2006
    • level: 11
    The idea of a timeship series what was I meant by my first post in the DS9 thread. I think prequels are a baaaadd idea expect maybe flash back episodes. And exactly, new tech = new story lines, but I think one of the reasons Enterprise failed was because they did try to relate today's experiences into it, but they tried too hard, and it was difficult to do with the prequl setting. A new series would be able to do it better. Also, I though by the time of TNG, only a small percentage of the alpha quadrant (like less then 20) was actually explored. There might still be some story left there.

A new galaxy would be cool, but I think we should try to avoid reusing old series lines. Eg, no ship returning home, no big war, no trial for humanity or simple exploration. The problem is.....what does that leave us? The time-travel idea is there (another HUGE bttf fan here)...what else? A mirror-universe series? Not sure that strikes me. Richard Rahl brings D'Hara into the 24th century? No.

A Star Fleet Academy series might not be that bad. Non-prequel or anything... You could have a number of characters working though the acadamy, going on missions, trying to get though classes, living, loving, saving Earth...as long as it doesn't turn into Saved by the Bell 2380. I think a lot of good plot lines could be worked in there, like the Ferengi or other species entering for the first time. You could bring in classic trek elements when needed, but still have new stories. Miles O'Brien could even have some cameos as a prof!

I just started university and sometimes I like to think I'm at the academy. Good thing I have lots of trekker friends haha.

I'm going away to Fredericton for the long weekend so I probably won't be around, see you guys later.

SRP76

[16]May 18, 2006
    I firmly believe a new series should be at least set AFTER VGR and Star Trek: Nemesis.

I think that, whatever the plot, the main emphasis should be on the SHIP, and the CREW. If you have a cool ship, and develop a strong cast of characters, it makes everything else a LOT easier.

Any ship or crew ideas?

"Saved by the Bell 2380". THAT'S good. How did we miss that one on our "parody" thread?

heeroyuy2006

[17]Jun 6, 2006
    • level: 8
    As far as a series taking place after Nemesis, the obvious choice would be a U.S.S. Titan series with Riker and Troi.  Other series/movies/mini-series I would like to see are continuations of DS9 and Voyager, New Frontier (modified to fit continuity), Stargazer (modified to fit continuity), Enterprise B (as long as Captain Harriman is given a backbone or killed off), Enterprise C, Enterprise F, Enterprise G, Enterprise H, Enterprise I, Enterprise J, Enterprise XCV-330, Excelsior, Defiant NCC- 1764, Enterprise under Captain April, Enterprise under Captain Pike, Kirk's second five year mission, Enterprise under Captain Spock, and a movie with flashbacks that makes most of William Shatner's first trilogy canon.

LithiumAngel420

[18]Jun 7, 2006
    All good ideas if you could get someone to hammer them out and produce them properly... good luck with that!

Tronman100

[19]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 11

An idea I came up with (while I probably should have been studying for exams, lol). There's as much detail in it as I could think of, though along with that are obviously some spoilers:

My idea for a 'Star Trek' series:

A Star Trek series set in another galaxy (thinking the Triangulum galaxy, where the Enterprise-D was sent by the traveler).
    (all names, etc, subject to change)

Basic Plot and "Pilot":

Starfleet receives a strange transmission from somewhere in the Triangulum Galaxy. The transmission has been heavily distorted over time, and exhibits temporal displacement. It is mostly large blocks of data, which when pieced together, appear to be pictures of Earth, Vulcan, and other Federation worlds completely destroyed. Astronomical data and other clues in the photos lead Starfleet to think that the images
    may be from as little as 50 years in the future. Also included in the data is an omega-particle wave frequency which Starfleet is initially unsure of what it means.

Starfleet eventually decodes the frequency and figures out it's intended use. If fired at one of the super massive black holes in the center of the galaxy, it would theoretically open a 'projection bridge' (using virtual particles on the event horizon of the black hole treknobabble, of course ) capable of transporting a ship to a similar black hole in the Triangulum galaxy. Fearing the destruction of the Federation, the Federation Council reluctantly agrees to investigate, which requires using Omega to send a ship to the galaxy.

Unfortunately, the catch is that in order for the omega-particle wave frequency to be safely generated, it will take at least 5 years to generate. The bridge also only works one way, so they'll have to build another on the other side to get back. The project also requires vast amounts of resources and Starfleet realizes that it will be too massive to keep a secret. So they commission the Aurora-project, the first trans-galactic Federation mission. It features the massive colony ship, the USS Aurora (the pathfinder of the Aurora type starship).

The USS Aurora has two main sections, the front of it containing the ships main bridge, engines, etc, while it's primary purpose is to toe the aft-section, which is in effect a massive space station. It can be detached from the station, and then used as its own stand-alone vessel. Also along for the ride, are two Prometheus type starships, the USS Ramato and the USS Voltaire, many Runabouts, and Shuttle craft.

The ships have also all be outfitted with ablative hull armor and transphasic torpedoes (ala ST: Voy), and the Aurora herself is state-of-the-art, heavily advanced.

Over 4000 colonists are send in the initial expedition, officers and their families, with three primary goals: 1) Set up a Federation presence in the Triangulum-galaxy, and make peaceful contact with it's inhabitants, 2) Build a second projection bridge to allow two way transit, 3) Discover the source of the apocalyptic-predicting transmissions. The majority of the colonists only know the first two goals,
    with the third one being kept a secret, to prevent panic.

After arriving in the Triangulum galaxy, the original plan is to have the main section of the Aurora detach from the station, while the Aurora itself, along with the runabouts, etc, implement the second directive (as well as protect the station), while the Ramato and the Voltaire go off to explore (and uncover the nature of the signal). However, shortly after arrival, after the Aurora undocks from the
    station, the fleet is attacked by an unknown species. The attackers are fought off but the the Aurora-station is severely damaged.

.... Middle stuff happens, lol ....need to fill in the blanks...

Towards the end of the pilot, the Aurora-station is completely destroyed by the attackers. The bulk of the colonists are able to get to escape pods, runabouts and shuttles, but many are unable too and are killed on board. Saddened, but driven to complete the mission, The colony survivors then attempt to relocate to a M type planet and start over, while it is decided that Ramato and the Voltaire will stay behind to protect the colony and build the projection bridge, while the Aurora itself will go off in search of the attackers, the transmission source, as well as to explore (and of course, to go boldly where no one has gone before .

Other elements from the Series/Pilot:

Teaser Scene:
    (names subject to change)

Two ensigns (Willards and Rosalee) and are stationed in a subspace relay station when they pick up the strange. transmission. They originally decide not to bother their commanding officer, Commander Rolands, given that he is due to be promoted soon and given his own commission. However, after decoding it and seeing the images as well as the figuring out the possible 50-year time line, they decide to
    alert him.

Later...

It's been seven years since the transmission was picked up, and Rolands, recently promoted to Admiral, is in charge of the

Aurora-expedition. The projection bridge is charged and ready to go. He is reluctant to bring families of colonists along, but is eventually convinced by Starfleet to do so.

Rolands is in command of the Aurora. He would be played up as the main character, along with with his first officer, Commander Madison.

Rolands however will be killed on board the Aurora-station at the end of the episode, forcing Madison to be promoted to captain and to take command of the ship.

Willards, or Rosalee, will be be promoted to Lieutenant and part of the Aurora expedition. At least one of which will be a homosexual/bisexual character. This will be established as early as the pilot teaser (perhaps taking about going on a date with a same-sex individual), and they will be married by the time of the expedition. Possibly, their spouse will be killed in the destruction of the Aurora-station.

A Vulcan officer on board the Aurora will be "killed" in the initial attack. The Aurora would suffer computer problems throughout the pilot, only to be revealed at the end that the Vulcan officer was able to successfully mind meld with the ships computer and transfer his Katra into it. It was necessary to erase the ships main computer in order to do so, so he will in essence become the ship's main, sentient,
    computer. (maybe-> Holographic projectors will also be all across the Aurora, allowing himself to be projected throughout the ship).

The single would first be found in the late 24th century (or maybe 25th), which the series mainly taking place 7 years later (in the early 25th or 26th century)

Most of the episodes would feature the Aurora and its mission , though some episodes and elements would relate to the back story of the colony.

Time-travel may be an important part of the series, which may be a precursor leading to the 'time ships' of the 29th century.

Unknown side effects of using omega.

Also, it might be neat if the neat if the series was not live action, but instead entirely rendered with CGI.

What do you think? My main concern is that it copies other ideas too much, but I did my best to make it original.

Edited on 04/02/2007 11:22am
    Edited 2 total times.

TelFan7

[20]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 6
    As much as I love TOS and TNG (the others I never got into) I'd rather have a live-action remake (either theatrical movie series or TV series) of one of the best of all-time cartoon series ever, "Star Blazers"!! That cartoon series would make a great live-action version. They're doing a live-action theatrical movie version of the "Transformers" which sounds cool to me, but I'd much prefer one for "Star Blazers" and/or TV series.