Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

How to do a new Star Trek series (ideas?)

Writer2000

[21]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 17
    Tronman100 wrote:

An idea I came up with (while I probably should have been studying for exams, lol). There's as much detail in it as I could think of, though along with that are obviously some spoilers:

My idea for a 'Star Trek' series:

A Star Trek series set in another galaxy (thinking the Triangulum galaxy, where the Enterprise-D was sent by the traveler).
    (all names, etc, subject to change)

Basic Plot and "Pilot":

Starfleet receives a strange transmission from somewhere in the Triangulum Galaxy. The transmission has been heavily distorted over time, and exhibits temporal displacement. It is mostly large blocks of data, which when pieced together, appear to be pictures of Earth, Vulcan, and other Federation worlds completely destroyed. Astronomical data and other clues in the photos lead Starfleet to think that the images
    may be from as little as 50 years in the future. Also included in the data is an omega-particle wave frequency which Starfleet is initially unsure of what it means.

Starfleet eventually decodes the frequency and figures out it's intended use. If fired at one of the super massive black holes in the center of the galaxy, it would theoretically open a 'projection bridge' (using virtual particles on the event horizon of the black hole treknobabble, of course ) capable of transporting a ship to a similar black hole in the Triangulum galaxy. Fearing the destruction of the Federation, the Federation Council reluctantly agrees to investigate, which requires using Omega to send a ship to the galaxy.

Unfortunately, the catch is that in order for the omega-particle wave frequency to be safely generated, it will take at least 5 years to generate. The bridge also only works one way, so they'll have to build another on the other side to get back. The project also requires vast amounts of resources and Starfleet realizes that it will be too massive to keep a secret. So they commission the Aurora-project, the first trans-galactic Federation mission. It features the massive colony ship, the USS Aurora (the pathfinder of the Aurora type starship).

The USS Aurora has two main sections, the front of it containing the ships main bridge, engines, etc, while it's primary purpose is to toe the aft-section, which is in effect a massive space station. It can be detached from the station, and then used as its own stand-alone vessel. Also along for the ride, are two Prometheus type starships, the USS Ramato and the USS Voltaire, many Runabouts, and Shuttle craft.

The ships have also all be outfitted with ablative hull armor and transphasic torpedoes (ala ST: Voy), and the Aurora herself is state-of-the-art, heavily advanced.

Over 4000 colonists are send in the initial expedition, officers and their families, with three primary goals: 1) Set up a Federation presence in the Triangulum-galaxy, and make peaceful contact with it's inhabitants, 2) Build a second projection bridge to allow two way transit, 3) Discover the source of the apocalyptic-predicting transmissions. The majority of the colonists only know the first two goals,
    with the third one being kept a secret, to prevent panic.

After arriving in the Triangulum galaxy, the original plan is to have the main section of the Aurora detach from the station, while the Aurora itself, along with the runabouts, etc, implement the second directive (as well as protect the station), while the Ramato and the Voltaire go off to explore (and uncover the nature of the signal). However, shortly after arrival, after the Aurora undocks from the
    station, the fleet is attacked by an unknown species. The attackers are fought off but the the Aurora-station is severely damaged.

.... Middle stuff happens, lol ....need to fill in the blanks...

Towards the end of the pilot, the Aurora-station is completely destroyed by the attackers. The bulk of the colonists are able to get to escape pods, runabouts and shuttles, but many are unable too and are killed on board. Saddened, but driven to complete the mission, The colony survivors then attempt to relocate to a M type planet and start over, while it is decided that Ramato and the Voltaire will stay behind to protect the colony and build the projection bridge, while the Aurora itself will go off in search of the attackers, the transmission source, as well as to explore (and of course, to go boldly where no one has gone before .

Other elements from the Series/Pilot:

Teaser Scene:
    (names subject to change)

Two ensigns (Willards and Rosalee) and are stationed in a subspace relay station when they pick up the strange. transmission. They originally decide not to bother their commanding officer, Commander Rolands, given that he is due to be promoted soon and given his own commission. However, after decoding it and seeing the images as well as the figuring out the possible 50-year time line, they decide to
    alert him.

Later...

It's been seven years since the transmission was picked up, and Rolands, recently promoted to Admiral, is in charge of the

Aurora-expedition. The projection bridge is charged and ready to go. He is reluctant to bring families of colonists along, but is eventually convinced by Starfleet to do so.

Rolands is in command of the Aurora. He would be played up as the main character, along with with his first officer, Commander Madison.

Rolands however will be killed on board the Aurora-station at the end of the episode, forcing Madison to be promoted to captain and to take command of the ship.

Willards, or Rosalee, will be be promoted to Lieutenant and part of the Aurora expedition. At least one of which will be a homosexual/bisexual character. This will be established as early as the pilot teaser (perhaps taking about going on a date with a same-sex individual), and they will be married by the time of the expedition. Possibly, their spouse will be killed in the destruction of the Aurora-station.

A Vulcan officer on board the Aurora will be "killed" in the initial attack. The Aurora would suffer computer problems throughout the pilot, only to be revealed at the end that the Vulcan officer was able to successfully mind meld with the ships computer and transfer his Katra into it. It was necessary to erase the ships main computer in order to do so, so he will in essence become the ship's main, sentient,
    computer. (maybe-> Holographic projectors will also be all across the Aurora, allowing himself to be projected throughout the ship).

The single would first be found in the late 24th century (or maybe 25th), which the series mainly taking place 7 years later (in the early 25th or 26th century)

Most of the episodes would feature the Aurora and its mission , though some episodes and elements would relate to the back story of the colony.

Time-travel may be an important part of the series, which may be a precursor leading to the 'time ships' of the 29th century.

Unknown side effects of using omega.

Also, it might be neat if the neat if the series was not live action, but instead entirely rendered with CGI.

What do you think? My main concern is that it copies other ideas too much, but I did my best to make it original.

I your idea for the premise of a new Star Trek series, and all of your characters sound great. Good work! 

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[22]Apr 5, 2007
    • level: 11
    Thanks! After school is over for the summer break I might try to write some fan fiction for it

Writer2000

[23]Apr 6, 2007

Tronman100 wrote:
    Thanks! After school is over for the summer break I might try to write some fan fiction for it

That would be really cool. If you do write it, do you think that you could post it online somewhere so I could read it? 

Tronman100

[24]Apr 6, 2007
    Writer2000 wrote:

Tronman100 wrote:

That would be really cool. If you do write it, do you think that you could post it online somewhere so I could read it?

Sure thing, but I tend to be notoriously lazy, lol.
    Edited on 04/06/2007 4:24pm

Writer2000

[25]Apr 12, 2007
    Tronman100 wrote:
    Writer2000 wrote:

Tronman100 wrote:

Sure thing, but I tend to be notoriously lazy, lol.

Thanks! 

Docusn

[26]Apr 14, 2007
    • level: 1

DISCLAIMER did not spell check!!! 

Star Trek Section 31.

Premisis:
    Section 31 a rouge element little is known about in the federation. (ie the Tal Shiar, obsidian order ect...)

The show would follow the crew of the USS Donovan a ship manned by Starfleets finest, who while still in the acedemy were recrutied by Section 31.

The show would revolve around The Donovans mission to protect the federation from all threats incluing those of a domestic nature. It would be more action and conflict oreiented tthen previous incarnations.

Pilot:
    In order to help bridge into the star trek universe the first episode takes place roughly a year after voyager returns home. A bored design engineer Lt. Harry Kim is recrutied to join Section 31.

A plot is uncovered and a familiar charecter is implicated (seven of nine maybe?) in which Kim exsuanerates and uncovers the true conspiricy.

Kim reluctant to join after seeing witnissing the "cowboy" diplomacy and facing moral issues of the exsetence of section 31 itself is convinced by the captian and assumes role as the ships opps or tatical officer.

Reacuring subplot themes:

1. A section 31 relationship with the Terran resistence in the mirror universe.

2. The moral issue of section 31's exsitence.

3. A reacuring conflict with an established man stream star fleet captian over the leagality of section 31's actions. (Riker, picard, Newly promoted Chakote?)

4. A cannoized view of where some of our favorite charecters have wound up (Although not an every week thing, you want it to be its own show, but allow guest apperances to keep uo with charecters we know and love.

USS Donovan
    Named for famed inteligence officer William J. Donovan (aka Wild Bill)
    A highly advanced ship with new technology and weapons (Cloaking, Improvements made on voyager ect..)
    Medium  vessle along the lines of 200 crew. Abnormal registrey (ie not NCC or Nx) Hinting that section 31 keeps its own fleet. Donovans security team will also be trained in planetary black operations to be led by a seprate Comander other than taticle, thing Marine detatchment.

Crew
    Captian: (Human Male of African decent)
    1st Officer: (Male Vulcan)
    Taticle: Harry Kim
    Opps: (Female race tbd)
    Pilot: (Male race tbd)
    Security: (Gender Race tbd)
    Cheif Engineer: (Gender race tbd)
    CMO: (Gender race tbd)
    other signifcant crew to be devloped.

any thoughts?

Tronman100

[27]Apr 14, 2007
    Cool! Sounds pretty good, at first I was a little confused as to why Section 31 would need its own fleet of ships, seems like they work more behind the scenes, and that having ships would increase the chances of them being revealed. Of course, having (probably illegal) cloaking devices could help with that. Plus, I started thinking about Sloan and how he needs a way to get around. Also, their ships maybe should not look like Federation ships, including maybe not even having a Federation warp signatures, except for some federation looking ships for when they need them.

Docusn

[28]Apr 15, 2007
    • level: 1

Agreed. Non conventional design, however not somthing too out there, i was thinking somthing along the evloutionary line of the Defiant, and Saber class ships.

Also rethinking the size of the vessle, for an organization the type of section 31, a medium size vessle witha  crew of 200 might be two much, maybe a smaller sleek ship Armed to the teeth and built speacialy for this type of mission (ie minimal research capacity) Think along the lines of the Defiant.

Tronman100

[29]Apr 17, 2007

Oooooooo....sounds snazzy

EDIT - Damn, it looks like "Aurora" is already the name of a fan project, http://www.auroratrek.com/, looks like I need to come up with a different name.

Edited on 04/18/2007 3:54pm

alyssa01

[30]Jun 20, 2007
    • level: 15
    i read a star trek book not to long ago called Federation that told the story of four different timelines, Zephram cochrans fight on a world war 3 occupied earth, The leaders of the eugenics war, kirks time and picards time. but there was ,at the end one final one that showed a starship in the far future capable of travelling to other galaxies and it had a crew much like the one in the other enterprise series', i think a short series about these would be awsome. and it may seem like it would be to risky to do a series set so far in the future but ( in my opinion ) Andromeda did pretty well and star trek is too amaxing to destroy so where would be the harm

jackfloyd1973

[31]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    section 31, spying on the enemies of the federation/empire & occasionally destroying them, ww3, or the eugenics war in either the regular &/or mirror universe, rise or fall of the terran empire, the terran rebellion, the rise of the klingon/cardassian alliance, possibly even a breakoff section of temporal enforcement that contually tries to alter the timeline & tries to undermine that non-interference crap, some combination, or something else entirely.