Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Legal Star Trek downloads now available at Amazon.com

123home123

[1]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 55
    Amazon.com introduced its oddly named Unbox Video Downloads service a few weeks ago to compete with iTunes. They have now introduced Star Trek downloads. These are DVD quality videos. You can buy entire seasons (although a few episodes are not available for some reason), or single episodes.

The videos are restricted to U.S. customers at the present time.

A full season (except for a few unavailable episodes) is $38.21, which is just slightly more than half the price of a single-season DVD set on Amazon.com ($69.98). Individual episodes cost $1.99 each.
    Edited on 10/09/2006 3:48pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alex20020712

[2]Oct 9, 2006
    • level: 7
    Thanks for the information, although I doubt this is "DVD quality."

amazon.com says "2-hour movie=2.4GB," which is not quite what you get on a DVD. Besides, a video file is not going to give you all the extras you can get with a DVD. I actually like having a physical disc, and not having to worry about storage, backups, and so on.

123home123

[3]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 55
    I just downloaded an episode, "Arena." It IS DVD quality. It's noticeably better than iTunes videos are. While iTunes are watchable on a computer monitor, you can still see minor pixelation in some dark areas, especially in fast moving scenes.

The quality of the Unbox videos is excellent. It definitely looks sharper than regular TV images do. It may not be high definition but it's certainly very good. The videos also have 5.1 surround sound.

If you don't want to buy an entire set, check out an episode or two. (The first download is free by the way so there's no harm in trying it out. I didn't have to pay for "Arena." You have to check out like you normally do on Amazon but an instant $1.99 rebate is applied, which matches the $1.99 list price per episode.)

supperkat

[4]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 6
    Yes it's real good quality I 've downloaded I MUDD November 06 and it played great on my laptop I have UNBOX I'll download more next month.And you can get movies aswell