Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

No! J.J. Abrams don't do this!

Homer1894Gamma

[1]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 11
    I can't believe this is happening! J.J. Abrams is directing the 11th Star Trek movie, and he's going to make it about the orginal series. The last movie with the original series came out 15 years ago, so i though that part of Star Trek had been retired. And he's going to have Matt Damon and someone else play Kirk and Spock. You can't have someone who isn't William Shatner play Kirk, and someone who isn't Leonard Nemoy play Spock! The Original Series part of Star Trek is over, and i thought people knew that. How about doing a movie on TNG, or better yet, DS9!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alex20020712

[2]Oct 25, 2006
    • level: 7
    How about "wait and see"? How about judging instead of prejudging?

I would definitely oppose recasting Kirk and Spock in the same period with which we are familiar, but it sounds like this would be a "prequel." If the "new" actors do a lousy job, then go ahead and criticize them. If they do OK, what would be the point of kicking and screaming this early in the process?

supperkat

[3]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 6
    Is this about Kirk at the StarFleet Academy?

ReclusiveWriter

[4]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 13

This movie is going to be, and I quote, "a reimagining of the old Star Trek."

I'm planning to see it, but I don't expect it to be any good. I'd MUCH rather have a TNG, DS9, VGR, ENT, or even Riker's U.S.S. Titan in a movie!

alex20020712

[5]Mar 14, 2007
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:
    This movie is going to be, and I quote, "a reimagining of the old Star Trek."

Quote from what source?

ReclusiveWriter

[6]Mar 14, 2007
    A personal source that I trust implicitly. This individual got me advanced copies of the scripts for Star Trek: Nemesis and the pilot of Enterprise, and they turned out to be authentic.

Deanna_T

[7]Mar 14, 2007
    • level: 28

i don't plan on watching the movie. prejuding it yes! there i said it.

i want the same things, also.

ReclusiveWriter wrote:
    I'd MUCH rather have a TNG, DS9, VGR, ENT, or even Riker's U.S.S. Titan in a movie!

btw, i take it you read the titan book series. do you like it? i kinda do.

ReclusiveWriter

[8]Mar 15, 2007

Yes, I do in fact read the Titan series.

I also read the post-DS9 and post-VGR books.

But I've fallen behind on the New Frontier books, because the fan-made series Hidden Frontier uses some of the same characters and the stories are not quite compatible, and since Star Trek has historically been mainly a visual medium, I count the fan-made series as more canon than the books, if you know what I mean.

BTW, if you haven't kept up, here's an image of the new U.S.S. Titan, a cool little Luna-class starship!

bluegoldrose

[9]Mar 15, 2007
    • level: 4

I like the DS9 and VGR books.  (I haven't read Titan because I'm not much of a TNG fan, although I like Troi and Riker)  The anthology books in general are good.

I'd love a multicast movie, but no, Abrams is going to make a stupid prequel!  Didn't these people learn anything from ENT!!!  On top of everything, they're messing with the TOS cast, and that's wrong.

Will I watch it, yes, will I like it... probably not.

ReclusiveWriter

[10]Mar 17, 2007
    bluegoldrose wrote:

Didn't these people learn anything from ENT!!!  On top of everything, they're messing with the TOS cast, and that's wrong.

There's a difference here though, blue. ENT was in a previous unexplored area of the Star Trek timeline that I think really needed exploration, instead of a handful of vague statements from TOS.

But Abrams IS messing around with the TOS cast, which I'm not happy about.  On the other hand, the fan-made series "Star Trek; New Voyages" has different actors in those parts as well, and those don't bother me. Weird, eh?

Something tells me that people are going to hate Abrams' Trek stuff so bad, they're going to be Paramount to bring back Berman. lol.

bluegoldrose

[11]Mar 17, 2007
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:
    bluegoldrose wrote:

Didn't these people learn anything from ENT!!!  On top of everything, they're messing with the TOS cast, and that's wrong.

There's a difference here though, blue. ENT was in a previous unexplored area of the Star Trek timeline that I think really needed exploration, instead of a handful of vague statements from TOS.

But Abrams IS messing around with the TOS cast, which I'm not happy about.  On the other hand, the fan-made series "Star Trek; New Voyages" has different actors in those parts as well, and those don't bother me. Weird, eh?

Something tells me that people are going to hate Abrams' Trek stuff so bad, they're going to be Paramount to bring back Berman. lol.

I meant the lesson of doing a prequel that failed, I like Enterprise, but it did fail.  Especially "These are the Voyages," which they said would be a "nod" to the other Treks, and I have yet to find a fan that liked that episode (even the actors complained about it.)

I've never heard of New Voyages, but I think something fan based is different than something production based.  Shatner and Nimoy made those roles their own, and I really don't see someone else filling their shoes.  Besides which, I don't even see the importance of going to that time period.

Nemesis, Voyager, DS9 left us with an Alpha/Beta quadrant in which all the major powers have undergone significant uphevals: Romulus has a new government, Qo'nos has Martok in command and Worf as a diplomat, Cardassia is in ruins, Various planets have to recover from the war (Including Betazed which was conquered by the Dominion, and Earth which was attacked by the Breen), and loose ends from any of the shows could be explored or tied up.  If they wanted to do something with Spock, was he on Romulus when Shinzon took over?! We don't even know.

I'd prefer Berman and the others than someone new.

ReclusiveWriter

[12]Mar 18, 2007

Actually, I did like "These Are the Voyages . . ." as a way of showing the influence that Archer and his crew would have on generations to come. And since it was also meant to serve as a (hopefully temporary) franchise finale, as well as a series finale, I find the closing moment with Picard, Kirk, and Archer's Enterprises, as well as the voices of the three captains doing the historic Trek monologue, rather tear-jerking. I know it did with me.

But yes, I'd rather that Manny Coto, who was a major player in the Berman chain of command, have taken over the Trek reins, because he actually knows what Trek is. Abrams is going to cheez a lot of people off with this idiotic 'reimagining' of TOS.  Sounds like 2008 will be the year for such movies, because Rob Zombie is also putting out a prequel/reimagining of the original Halloween, which is just wrong.

ancient333

[13]Mar 19, 2007
    I agree that a multi-cast story would be much better. I like(d) J.J. Abrams. I got into Alias late, while it was in hiatus during it's fifth and final season.
    I saw a re-run of the pilot on TNT and then spent the next few weeks watching the first four season's on DVD.
    I watch Lost.
    I even thought MI3 was good, despite the fact that I really don't like Tom Cruise,
    and I LOVE Keri Russell and he killed her in the first ten minutes.
    But Why the Hell would you thumb your nose at an entire community of fans and recast TOS characters,
    when there are so many other stories to tell.
    If Indeed they do choose to go this route, despite obvious fan backlash,
    it will be the difference for me, between seeing it in the theater or waiting for the DVD.

macadamwest

[14]Mar 19, 2007
    • level: 3
    i just hate matt damon. I'm sorry. I dispise the man and his acting. I don't think he's that great personally so I don't think he'll be good on the kirk role. Give him another role or something and sure he'll be fine but not this one.

TelFan7

[15]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 6
    TOS is retired as far as I'm concerned (but by far my favorite, it's just that no one else should play their roles, that's all). The next movie should be a continuation of the TNG episode Conspiracy, just like The Wrath of Khan was a continuation of the TOS episode Space Seed.

SimonAitken

[16]Mar 21, 2007
    • level: 5
    They arer not going to ues Matt at lest i hope not if they ues Shatner and Nemoy then ues camera tricks to make them look yonger

whoruworking4

[17]Mar 26, 2007
    I'm just gonna wait and see. The casting sounds pretty iffy to me (Adrian Brody as Spock? Just kill me.) Although i heard Gary Sinise is being considered for McCoy and I tihnk he'd actually be pretty good.

JohnGaines

[18]Mar 28, 2007
    As much of a fan as I am, the truth is Star Trek, in any form, is done.

The next movie is likely to flop. Even among many fans the interest just isn't there.

Paramount needs to move on.

Enterprise sucked beyond the telling, and so did Nemesis. Both were not just bad Star Trek, they were bad storytelling and badly made. Maybe a rest of another 10 years or so would be best.

Yeah, I'm pre-judging, but I'm basing it on what's there. I loved Alias and I love Lost. But MI3 sucked...well, ok so did 1 and 2 as far as I'm concerned, but JJ Abrams hasn't shown he's up for feature films.

I've got a bad feeling about this.

alex20020712

[19]Mar 28, 2007
    JohnGaines wrote:
    As much of a fan as I am, the truth is Star Trek, in any form, is done.

Somehow, your comments do not seem to be those of a big fan.

JohnGaines wrote:
    The next movie is likely to flop. Even among many fans the interest just isn't there.

Do you have any evidence to support this claim?

There is plenty of activity on the Star Trek forums here, and those shows have been off the air for years. Of course, the success of any TV show or movie has little to do with the fans, or even quality, and a lot to do with commercial interests.

M00N-CAT

[20]Apr 5, 2007
    ok here is something you should all know Star Trek XI is gonna be the best and its not official yet if kirk is gonna be in it because if you read the article on the bbs forums they might just base the story on Captain Pike.