Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Quadrants

andjj

[1]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 13

I was wondering something, and I thought this would be the place to ask, sorry if I get my trek lore wrong, Its been a while since I watched all the series.

I re-watched the trek movies in this last week, and I noticed several references to quadrants. Kirk being sent because his was the only ship in the quadrant, a klingon bird of prey just entering the quadrant ect. It gave the impression that a quadrant was big enough to be a large distance, but you could still fly across it in a few hours or a day.

This seems to contradict the use of the quadrants in the actual series though. If I remember correctly, the galaxy is divided into quadrants, with the Federation in the Alpha quadrant. DS9 needed a wormhole to get to the Delta quadrant (which one would think would be fairly close seeing as its only three 'letters' away) and Voyager would take something like 170 years to get back home from the Gamma quadrant. My question is, did they change how they measured distance from the movies to the series, or are they just using it in a way that I dont know?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alex20020712

[2]Jul 22, 2006
    • level: 7
    There are four quadrants in the galaxy, which is a very, very, very, very big place.

There are many, many, many sectors, too. For our purposes, each sector is a cube, 20x20x20 light-years.

Up until the mid-24th century, sectors were called "quadrants," which only serves to cause confusion.

andjj

[3]Jul 23, 2006
    Aha, that would explain it. Thanks!

SupremeLegate

[4]Jul 28, 2006
    Just to correct your facts, the Bajoran wormhole in DS9 went to the Gamma Quadrant. And Voyager was in the Delta Quadrant.