Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

question

TreeHill_89

[1]Jun 3, 2011
    • level: 32
    Hey, I have a question to all star trek fans! I writing a paper on how Star Trek presents Utopia? Can anyone help! I'm really confused and i was wondering if anyone can help with this question? Thanks
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

archangelwho

[2]Jun 9, 2011
    • level: 18

TreeHill_89 wrote:
    Hey, I have a question to all star trek fans! I writing a paper on how Star Trek presents Utopia? Can anyone help! I'm really confused and i was wondering if anyone can help with this question? Thanks

I think the one thing we learn from Star Trek as long as humans are humans and the other races are who they are we will never have an Utopia. What we learn from Star Trek is that sooner or later the Utopia will break down from within. Rather than looking for a "Utopia" what we need to do is to get along better. We are what we are and yes we can work to better ourselves but being who we are we will never reach a Utopia. Even within the same group what is a Utopia for you may not be a Utopia for me. And having "Big Brother " set the rules only work for the ones setting the rules. (1984, Animal Farm) What we learn from Star Trek is that rather than look for a Utopia we should, if not learn to understand each other, at least learn to tolerate each other. Live and let live. There are groups (some of which I have family & friends in) that as hard as I try I just don't understand them. Can I respect them? Some. Can I love them? Yes. Can I still interact with them? Yes. Many I get my best laughs from. Most of our problems today come from either someone wanting what someone else have, trying to force someone else to live the way the others think they should or some group killing off anyone who is not them. The Prime Directive is about more than just the introduction of technology into a culture. Now this goes against many groups' beliefs. I'm a Christen and follow under the Great Commission And Jesus came and spoke to them, saying, "All authority has been given to Me in heaven and on earth. Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, teaching them to observe all things that I have commanded you; and lo, I am with you always, even to the end of the age." Amen. (Matthew 28:18-20) http://www.allaboutjesuschrist.org/the-great-commission.htm As a Christen I'm to this but I'm to do it out of love and respect. So there would be part of the Prime Directive that I cannot follow. Even if everyone would become Christen I do not think we would have a Utopia (there the kind/loudness of the music and color of the carpet thing). I hope this help. Contact me if you need more.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.