Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Question on Yeomen

Deanna_T

[1]Nov 5, 2006
    • level: 28

Firstly, whats a Yeomen and why does TOS have Yeoman in the first place? The TOS replicators can produce coffee and other beverages just like the TNG replicators, but the only place I've seen the replicators in TOS are in the rec. rooms and don't know if Kirk has a ready room...unless I've missed something. 

Kirk had  Rand, but she never really did anything except secretly ogle the captain and that one time he told her to take the helm. Or that other time when Kirk's "ID"self almost raped her. He just cuts her off mid sentence or ignores her.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[2]Nov 6, 2006
    • level: 60
    Aside from age old feudal definitions, Yeoman is a rank in the Navy and Star Trek ranks roughly follow the naval system. It usually means an enlisted grade, I think a low level officer on the way to Chief Petty Officer. Yeomans of any class are usually assistants, I think it was just Rand's bum luck to get to be nothing more than a gopher in a lot of episodes.
    Edited on 11/06/2006 12:11pm

Deanna_T

[3]Nov 10, 2006
    cool. thanks mac-ale!

Mac-Ale

[4]Nov 11, 2006
    Star Trek practically got rid of the rank of Commodore after the original series too, I've seen a lot of info on Star Trek ranks, but none that completely agree with each other or exactly correspond with naval designations either.
    Edited on 11/11/2006 11:31am

Deanna_T

[5]Nov 11, 2006

have u read any of the TOS books?

i remember reading about the commodore in the 1st book in the vanguard series, harbringer. freakishly awesome book/series. it has this commodore who is apart of some secret organization and he is also dating the female captain of the space station vanguard.

other than that, i don't know much about the commodore. also, is the commodore rank kinda like a step down from the admiral rank? if, you could be so nice as to explain the role a commodore to me, i would be appreciate it.

sorry, i'm still learning the "trek ropes"

Mac-Ale

[6]Nov 11, 2006
    Well, its seems to be a question of pick what you want...in a lot of navies, Commodore usually reflected a promoted Captain, often in charge of more than one vessel, a "fleet Captain"...its definitely lower than any rank of Admiral, and it seems to be a largely forgotten rank after the original Star Trek series ended. It seems to be a rank favored by the British Navy, I have a feeling that later Trek sort of phased it out.
    Edited on 11/11/2006 6:44pm

Deanna_T

[7]Nov 12, 2006
    well duh...lol. on vanguard, reyes is a commodore of 3 ships. i dont know much about military ranks, but this was certainly helpful. i've heard commodore else where, but dident stop to think about it till now.

SRP76

[8]Nov 13, 2006
    • level: 10
    Okay, I'll attempt to explain these:

In the United States Navy (the show is U.S.-made, so this would be the Naval force it is based upon), a Yeoman is NOT a rank; it is a rating, or "job title". All enlisted folks have a certain job title, or rating: Boatswain's Mate does shipwide maintenance, mans the small boat stations, stands the bridge watches, etc. Radioman is the rating for communications people. Postal Clerks handle mail. Sonar Technicians...well, you see the pattern. Each of these ratings' names are reflected in their ranks. For example, a Petty Officer First Class, or PO1, that happens to be a Damage Controlman, would be referred to as "Damage Controlman First Class", or "DC1". Get it?

A Yeoman is the "office clerk" of the ship, handling clerical duties. They used to work with Personnelmen, but the two ratings have been merged in recent years. When you need official papers drawn up, or to look at records, the Yeomen are the guys you go to see.

HOWEVER, in Star Trek, they don't do this. You see the Yeoman (Rand) delivering the daily shipwide reports to the Captain. In reality, this is actually the job of the Messenger of the Watch, usually a Boatswain's Mate. We can assume that Star Trek's Yeomen have the "real" duties, but take on the "extra" of delivering the daily reports as a reason to get them on-screen.

Now, the Commodore is something else entirely. It is one step above Captain.

Here goes:

Captain gets promoted to Rear Admiral (Lower Half). This is your one-star Flag Officer. Also known in past times as a "Commodore". The next up is Rear Admiral (Upper Half). Two stars. Next up, we're talking Vice Admiral. Three stars here. And the last permanent rank is Admiral, the four-star Flag Officers. The temporary post of Fleet Admiral is your wartime five-star people.

I hope this clears things up a little...

Mac-Ale

[9]Nov 13, 2006
    Sounds pretty authoratative to me...

Deanna_T

[10]Nov 13, 2006
    fasinating. thanks!

supperkat

[11]Feb 20, 2007
    • level: 6
    Ensign is higher rank then a yeoman yes?