Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Random thought...

LithiumAngel420

[1]May 14, 2006
    • level: 4

The forums are dead, or slowly dying.   I don't like the ST.com boards, this is my only Trek Haven...  So I thought "why not create a thread that doesn't fit any one particular subject;" almost to the point of being more of a "chatroom" concept.  So feel free to post random thoughts here that you may not make a new thread for, but you'd just like to get it out there.  Maybe little trivia tidbits or something.  You guys are smart, you know what I mean.

So I was thinking, I haven't seen "The Trouble with Tribbles" yet, and without giving away any spoilers, can anyone tell me what they are?  I mean I know they are a life form of some kind but where do they originate?  (Don't answer that if it spoils, please.)

Edited on 05/14/2006 4:51pm
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

LithiumAngel420

[2]May 16, 2006
    Here's another random thought: WHY ARE THE BOARDS SO DEAD!? Where IS everyone? No one seems to be doing anything other than voting on the games. I suppose there is only so much you can say about Star Trek...

alex20020712

[3]May 16, 2006
    • level: 7
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    Here's another random thought: WHY ARE THE BOARDS SO DEAD!? Where IS everyone? No one seems to be doing anything other than voting on the games. I suppose there is only so much you can say about Star Trek...

Interesting and meaningful conversation takes time and effort, or at least dedication. These "games" do not.

SRP76

[4]May 16, 2006
    • level: 10
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:

Tribbles, can anyone tell me what they are? 

Well, to make a long story short, they are pretty much just little furballs. Kind of like the creatures in the "Critters" movies, but Tribbles don't have faces, arms, or legs! Like I said, furballs, just about the size of a softball, not as large as a soccer ball.

For a more detailed bio, follow this link:

http://www.startrek.com/startrek/view/library/aliens/article/70737.html

Edited on 05/16/2006 9:12pm

LithiumAngel420

[5]May 16, 2006

alex20020712 wrote:
    Interesting and meaningful conversation takes time and effort, or at least dedication. These "games" do not.

I am glad you feel that way.  Enlighten us, Alex, what are your suggestions for increasing traffic on the boards? Please, show us your effort, dedication, and time spent.

Edited on 05/16/2006 11:07pm

LithiumAngel420

[6]May 17, 2006
    Thanks SRP

alex20020712

[7]May 17, 2006
    • level: 7
    LithiumAngel420 wrote:
    I am glad you feel that way. Enlighten us, Alex, what are your suggestions for increasing traffic on the boards? Please, show us your effort, dedication, and time spent.

That is, assuming higher traffic is the desirable goal. I do not agree. I think interesting conversation is more valuable than "traffic" for its own sake. i.e., signal versus noise. When someone has nothing to say, it is OK to be quiet.

As a reader, I would value *one* interesting post more than 10 "I agree"s or similar nonsense. Higher traffic is not automatically "better" for me.

As a writer, I would be much more interested in discussing interesting topics.

If you want an example, I just spent some time on a related board explaining why killing Tuvix was morally wrong, and Janeway should have been held accountable. Whether someone agrees or disagrees, at least there is possibly an interesting conversation there.

On this board, I recently reminded everyone that the original Star Trek still continues, to this day, in a different form. With DC Fontana as a writer and Walter Koenig playing Chekov, I am looking forward to seeing this NEW episode. It may not be produced by a big studio, but it is still interesting to me, and it might be interesting to others.

George Takei is also coming back. David "The Trouble With Tribbles" Gerrold is also contributing, as well as Ron B. Moore and many others.