Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Really Bad Kirk Moments

millerem99

[1]Oct 23, 2007
    • level: 51

One of the things I love best about watching Star Trek now as an adult is how exaggerated Shatner's acting and expressions were, and how the character of Kirk pontificated just about every time he opened his mouth to speak. (My mother is so grossed out by him she actually makes gag faces at times, and one year we bought her a life-sized Kirk cut-out and stuck it back in her bedroom just to freak her out)

Opinions on or examples of Kirk's really bad portrayal by Shatner?

I will start us off with one: In Turnabout Intruder, William Shatner playing Kirk's body inhabited by Janice Lester. His acting is definitely at its worst throughout this episode, but what always strikes me funny is how good she is. A woman acting as Kirk trapped within a woman's body is better than Kirk is as himself!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alyssa01

[2]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 15

^ that is so true

I would have to say either 'The enemy Within' or 'the Empath'

Gislef

[3]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 103
    Pretty much every scene he has in "Gamesters of Triskelion." From his choking scenes, to his sticking his hand out when Uhura is being molested in her cell, to his attempts to hit on Shahna.

amazingwebhead

[4]Nov 7, 2007
    • level: 11
    Plato's Stepchildren=Acting like a horse

Buffylover365

[5]Jun 6, 2008
    • level: 16

One line I thought was really bad, giving an example of William Shatner's cadence was this quote from "This Side of Paradise".

"Maybe we weren't...meant...for paradise. Maybe we were meant to...fight...struggle...CLAW our way up. SCRATCH for everyinchoftheway."

Did anyone else notice this?

millerem99

[6]Jun 7, 2008
    Speaking of "This Side of Paradise," when Kirk takes out his medal at the end, looks at it, convulses dramatically in a controlled way, then overcomes the effects of the spores.

my1sunshine

[7]Jun 7, 2008
    • level: 12
    Buffylover365 wrote:

One line I thought was really bad, giving an example of William Shatner's cadence was this quote from "This Side of Paradise".

"Maybe we weren't...meant...for paradise. Maybe we were meant to...fight...struggle...CLAW our way up. SCRATCH for everyinchoftheway."

Did anyone else notice this?

" Maybe we weren't ...meant.. to stroll to themusicofthelutes. We must MARCH to the sound of DRUMS!"

Bad acting captain. Nonregulation.

my1sunshine

[8]Jun 7, 2008

Well, Shatner's larger than life acting style does fit the larger than life captain to a T. I mean..that's Kirk (although I did prefer him a little more subdued at the beginning. Made it a little more believable. As I stated in my review, Shatners "broader acting style", as Nimoy so kindly puts it, may get a lot of guffaws from fans (including me) it can also be effective. One point that everybody likes to point out is something that Shatner got from Shakespere. He will get up, start to say something, mouth open..stop..think a moment, then turn toward another camera, mouth still open before he speaks again, Wether you think it's cheesy or not, at that moment, the audience is fixed on him, waiting to hear what he...has... to... say...Spock! LOL. The hand motions are also funny. But, hey..he made it Kirk.That's...Kirk. I do feel sorry for Pine in the new movie. He's going to have to do Shatner as Kirk. The audience won't buy it otherwise.

millerem99 wrote:
    Speaking of "This Side of Paradise," when Kirk takes out his medal at the end, looks at it, convulses dramatically in a controlled way, then overcomes the effects of the spores.

I don't know. That part, I kind of understood . The one thing that got Kirk out of many bad snaps is his first love...the Enterprise..the service to his ship. I thought looking at his medal was portrayed lovingly and subtle enough to convey that love, and then frowning as he snaps shut the case, getting ready to leave. it's the beginning of the emotion that snaps him out of it. I can even buy the " No. Nooo! I........can't.......LEAVE!" in the transporter room. My favorite over dramatic Kirk speech that me and my friends LOVE to quote to poke fun at Shatner (we have "the best Kirk" contests with this one)..is the one in Return To Tomorrow. "Risk.....RISK is our business! Thatswhatthisstarshipisallabout! THAT'S...WHY....WE'RE...ABOARD...HER!" LOL!

millerem99

[9]Oct 27, 2008
    Whenever Kirk has an alter ego his affected acting really gets out of control, as mentioned in "Turnabout Intruder." Watching his evil twin in "Mirror, Mirror," scream like a banshee when they tried to throw him in the brig is hysterical. I guess Shatner equated flailing and shrieking with depicting his wicked side .... but it's always funny how little difference there is besides the uber-acting between "good" Kirk and "bad" Kirk.

pjhasham

[10]Nov 4, 2008
    • level: 17
    The Enemy Within is bad, at least when he's the evil version, but his worst performance that I've seen is in Miri, running around the classroom shouting to the "kids." God, that was excruciating.
    Edited on 11/04/2008 6:47pm

jrsgalaxy

[11]Nov 6, 2008
    • level: 14
    i just watched "A Piece of the Action "last night and would now have to say the last half of that episode where Kirk is speaking like Twenties era gangster.

Tibius

[12]Feb 20, 2009
    • level: 1
    You are a loser. You know all about Star Trek but can't understand why Shatner speaks the way he does. Because he does loser. That's what makes it great. ho cares what a loser like you says anyway

my1sunshine

[13]Feb 27, 2009

Tibius wrote:
    You are a loser. You know all about Star Trek but can't understand why Shatner speaks the way he does. Because he does loser. That's what makes it great. ho cares what a loser like you says anyway

Okay, number one.. I don't know who you're talking to, but I see you're new to this site. Let me warn you then that behavior like that, sooner or later, is gonna get you kicked off. If you're not gonna get into the spirit of the conversation, then please go elsewhere, and leave the insults for someone who cares. Okay?

zerbleflip

[14]Mar 4, 2009
    • level: 8

If....you...wantothear...Shatner's view on...his...Kirk...ptonunciation thenyoushouldwatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CwZgb_iAI

Whichi is a gentle send-up of the whole character....

JediSnoopy

[15]Mar 10, 2009
    • level: 13
    I love the way he simulates being attacked by powerful mental forces or some other energy beam. "Turnabout Intruder" is great where he sticks his arms out and up and his jaw drops open.

millerem99

[16]Mar 12, 2009
    zerbleflip wrote:

If....you...wantothear...Shatner's view on...his...Kirk...ptonunciation thenyoushouldwatch

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h1CwZgb_iAI

Whichi is a gentle send-up of the whole character....

heehee, that's funny...at least he can laugh about it, too. "I don't really talk like 'Every. Word. Is. Its. Own. Sentence!'" Love it!

ladybritcomfan

[17]Apr 10, 2009
    • level: 36
    millerem99 wrote:

One of the things I love best about watching Star Trek now as an adult is how exaggerated Shatner's acting and expressions were, and how the character of Kirk pontificated just about every time he opened his mouth to speak. (My mother is so grossed out by him she actually makes gag faces at times, and one year we bought her a life-sized Kirk cut-out and stuck it back in her bedroom just to freak her out)

Opinions on or examples of Kirk's really bad portrayal by Shatner?

I will start us off with one: In Turnabout Intruder, William Shatner playing Kirk's body inhabited by Janice Lester. His acting is definitely at its worst throughout this episode, but what always strikes me funny is how good she is. A woman acting as Kirk trapped within a woman's body is better than Kirk is as himself!

LOL. I was thinking the same thing, but more along the lines of he acts more like a gay man than a woman who has overtaken Kirk's body.

OctoberGirl9

[18]Jul 25, 2009
    • level: 8
    OH!!! Lmao that was just wrong....

baskok

[19]Mar 18, 2011
    • level: 9

I can.t.....remember any....bad moments...of kirk. His acting is...just so good ....and. Mister sulu...ahead warp ...factor 2. Bones......come in bones..... Spock what... is that.... creature?

What really bugs me are his fighting sequences they are so incredibly corny by todays standards. And when he receives mental painhe hold his hands up, then brings them to his head and pulls his body back. Ow my... god bones .... the alien entity.....is hurting....us.

Edited on 03/22/2011 3:07am

archangelwho

[20]Jun 12, 2011
    • level: 19

Plato's Step Children as the horse & Turnabout Intruder.