TV.com will be making some changes to our user base starting Feb 25, 2015. For more information click here

Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Roast of William Shatner

alex20020712

[1]Jun 23, 2006
    • level: 7
    Comedy Central. Aug. 20 (10 p.m. EDT). This should be good.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

jimisalive24

[2]Jun 24, 2006
    • level: 3
    Especially because he has always embraced his over-acting prowess. I just hope the "roasters" can include TekWar references and his "musical" career. *Shudder*

Taara2

[3]Oct 11, 2006
    • level: 16
    i watched it. it was funny. when Andy Dick was like im the butt baby of kirk and spock.

skaizun

[4]Oct 16, 2006
    • level: 20
    Unfortunately, such roasts tend to be less about the roastee and more about the roasters, especially when it's televised nationally (worldwide?).  Nearly all presenters droned endlessly, if not mindlessly, about themselves or poked fun of the others in the room, the vast majority of whom not only had nothing to do with Star Trek, but whom I have never even heard of.  And how many "old folks" were there that any of the under 30 crowd have ever heard of much less recognize? (it's like the now-moldy, Generation 'X' joke, "Did you know that Paul McCartney was in a group before 'Wings'?") How many "inside jokes" can the not-in-the-loop viewer tolerate? I think the total time spent talking specifically about "William Shatner" was about 10 minutes of the agonizingly long roast (I honestly forgot how long it was . . . 1 hour? 2? 3?  Regardless, it was TOO long!). ComedyCentral.com has video snippets of - - what I'm sure they consider to be - - highlights. I wouldn't bother, but, if puerile humor turns you on, go for it!
    Edited on 10/16/2006 1:18pm

millerem99

[5]Jul 3, 2007
    • level: 51
    Agreed...disappointing and excessively crude, I thought. Guess that's "Comedy Central" for you.

P.S. I sound like a staid old maid but I am a Trekkie in my 20's and I still found it a bit raw.