Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

So how did humanity become friends with the Vulcans?

macadamwest

[1]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 3

I got to thinking, how did that friendship even form?

I mean even if we look at it:

Humans are irrational, more emotional etc

whereas Vulcans are more rational and more logical with no emotion (or if they have emotion they suppress it)

so how did they become friends?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

sporkman5353

[2]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 18
    macadamwest wrote:

I got to thinking, how did that friendship even form?

I mean even if we look at it:

Humans are irrational, more emotional etc

whereas Vulcans are more rational and more logical with no emotion (or if they have emotion they suppress it)

so how did they become friends?

Think about it they believe in universal piece and such as do humans. Anyway humans are alot better than most other races such as klingon and romulan.

Tronman100

[3]Aug 22, 2007
    • level: 11
    I suggest watching Star Trek: First Contact and Enterprise.

macadamwest

[4]Aug 24, 2007
    • level: 3
    Tronman, you are always so helpful with my questions. )
    Thank you, off to watch them now!

Mikoto_sohma

[5]Aug 25, 2007
    • level: 4
    Actually f you watch Enterprise as in jonothan Archer, you discover that the Vulcans were the very first to contact us...

It was...what's his name? ermm... dang, I cant remember it right now but it's the guy who Archer admires. He had the first contact with the vulcans.He was mentioned so much, man, how could I forget?

Tronman100

[6]Aug 25, 2007
    Mikoto_sohma wrote:
    Actually f you watch Enterprise as in jonothan Archer, you discover that the Vulcans were the very first to contact us...

It was...what's his name? ermm... dang, I cant remember it right now but it's the guy who Archer admires. He had the first contact with the vulcans.He was mentioned so much, man, how could I forget?

Zefram Cochrane.

ST:First Contact shows the actual initial contact. Enterprise expands on the relationship. There is still a lot not known but they should help fill in some of the blanks.

sporkman5353

[7]Sep 8, 2007
    • level: 18

I recently read an older trek book, the better man, wich reinforces my post.

scifinut99

[8]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 15
    actuly when the vulcans first land on earth after the firsy warp test humans were still fighting amonst themselves. meeting the vulcans changed on how humans saw the universe. now imagine if the romulans or klingons discovered humans first

Tronman100

[9]Sep 14, 2007
    scifinut99 wrote:
    actuly when the vulcans first land on earth after the firsy warp test humans were still fighting amonst themselves. meeting the vulcans changed on how humans saw the universe. now imagine if the romulans or klingons discovered humans first

Yea, we kinda lucked out there, lol. Course, They probably woulda just blew up Cochran's ship if they noticed it, then seeing it was the only one, either ignore Earth or blow it up just for fun.

alyssa01

[10]Sep 14, 2007
    • level: 15
    The Vulcans initially didn't like humans and rather than a friendship tried to control humanity by controlling the warp project but eventually came to see that even though humans could be volatile they also had positive qualities as-well such as a belief in piece and unity.

belial_77

[11]Sep 22, 2007
    • level: 17

"Friends"? The first Vulcans to land, Cochran shot dead and then looted the ship... then set forth to enslave the entire race... thus began the Glory of the Terran Empire!!!

LONG LIVE THE EMPIRE!!!

jackfloyd1973

[12]Aug 21, 2008
    • level: 4
    starfleet & the earth government were vulcan puppets at 1st, eventually they somehow ended up being equal partners. as seen in enterprise, humans & vulcans at 1st didn't trust or even much like each other, vulcans didn't like the human tendency to war with each other because they looked like a mild version of prelogic vulcans, & humans very obviously from an early age hate being controlled, they probably started getting along when humans started mellowing out a bit.

jrsgalaxy

[13]Aug 29, 2008
    • level: 14
    alyssa01 wrote:
    The Vulcans initially didn't like humans and rather than a friendship tried to control humanity by controlling the warp project but eventually came to see that even though humans could be volatile they also had positive qualities as-well such as a belief in piece and unity.

i don't think they were controlling the Warp Project just weren't helping them in developing it. THey were just there basically to patronize them. They kinda of were following their own version of the Prime Directive of not interfering with a prewarp society that would advance them further than normal. ANd since Earth had just discovered Warp tech,that doesnt mean they can just go in and automatically geive them the specs for a Warp 7 drive because that too would be interfering.but would still interfere when they thought the Humans were acting too rash or showing initiative. Like delaying the Enterprise to launch .