Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

So What Did Everyone Think of the New Movie?

What did you think?

bigmindbust70

[1]May 10, 2009
    • level: 5

Personally, I loved it. It's my new favortie movie. I really want to seem them make an updated version of the original series with the actors form the movie. It would be great.

It's getting really good reviews, and if it makes a lot of money at the box office it could happen. I think it would be really cool. I love the original series, but I always found it sort of cheesey. I'm more of a next gen kind of guy.

Anyway, what did you guys think of the movie?

If you haven't seen it yet, go.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

lazyjay

[2]May 11, 2009
    • level: 30
    I'm a bad person and I haven't seen the movie yet, and I didn't read you post for fear of spoilers.

Is it as great as everyone says (Star Trek wise) or is it just a good sci-fi spacey action special effects movie?

Either way I'll watch it, but I'm trying to decide, what/how much, to spend my money on.

Icylobster

[3]May 11, 2009
    • level: 3
    The movie was very well done and I think that they did a great job. I wouldn't mind seeing a tv show form out of this because they did very well. It does relate well with the old show I believe however there was one part that I had somewhat of a problem with, if you see it you might know what I mean. It didn't seem like it would have actually ever have happened that easily in the old show.

beowulf579

[4]May 11, 2009
    • level: 59
    I liked the movie but there is one thing that keeps me from calling a really great movie.

If you are a Trek fan or even a passing fan of the Original Series or movies...you will like the film.

But, if you have no idea or concept of what Star Trek is...this movie will not be for you. It is not a "intro" movie for newbies. And you know what else shocked me that has nothing directly to do with the movie?? There was no marathons on tv with the Original series. You would have thought that some network would have been running the old show like crazy in the days prior to showing the movie.

I will correct myself a little...a newbie can see this film and maybe enjoy it. But there are soooo many references that only a fan will get that anyone else will be scratching there head wondering why the ppl next to you think, "Pointy eared bastard" is funny.

bigmindbust70

[5]May 11, 2009

lazyjay wrote:
    I'm a bad person and I haven't seen the movie yet, and I didn't read you post for fear of spoilers. Is it as great as everyone says (Star Trek wise) or is it just a good sci-fi spacey action special effects movie? Either way I'll watch it, but I'm trying to decide, what/how much, to spend my money on.

No spoilers here! You will love the movie.

Icylobster wrote:
    The movie was very well done and I think that they did a great job. I wouldn't mind seeing a tv show form out of this because they did very well. It does relate well with the old show I believe however there was one part that I had somewhat of a problem with, if you see it you might know what I mean. It didn't seem like it would have actually ever have happened that easily in the old show.

Are you talking about the first scene or the one where Spock and Kirk are about to transport onto the Romulan ship?

beowulf579 wrote:
    I liked the movie but there is one thing that keeps me from calling a really great movie. If you are a Trek fan or even a passing fan of the Original Series or movies...you will like the film. But, if you have no idea or concept of what Star Trek is...this movie will not be for you. It is not a "intro" movie for newbies. And you know what else shocked me that has nothing directly to do with the movie?? There was no marathons on tv with the Original series. You would have thought that some network would have been running the old show like crazy in the days prior to showing the movie. I will correct myself a little...a newbie can see this film and maybe enjoy it. But there are soooo many references that only a fan will get that anyone else will be scratching there head wondering why the ppl next to you think, "Pointy eared bastard" is funny.

I bursted out laughing when McCoy said, "Damn it! I'm a doctor not a phycisist!" My friend who had never seen Star Trek gave me a really weird look. I also had to explain to him what a mind meld was afterwards.

I also wondered why they're werent any marathons either. In fact, I only saw like three commercials for it. It's currently the #1 movie in the box office (beating out Wolverine by 25 million) it's also the best reviewed movie of '0. Trek is back.

vampiredawn

[6]May 13, 2009
    • level: 14
    Best movie ever is probably a bit exaggerated, but it was definitely made of awesome, and it was obvious that it was done with a huge amount of love and care for the famous characters It was definitely not just another sci fi action movie, but was mostly focused on how these characters got to meet (in this reality at least) and how they felt about each other in the beginning. It almost felt more like a romance flick, because not only was I holding my breath waiting for the hero and the, uh, other hero to meet, but also experienced a complete revival of my love for the old show. It really reminded me of why I love this Trekverse and its characters, and that is a huge task in itself and earns it a lot of praise.

It was also partly meant as an intro for Trek newbies, but obviously I can't answer if they succeeded in that regard, since I've seen the original series many times before and read 50+ novels, biographies etc etc. It will probably me an amusing movie, because damn if it isn't hysterical, but a ton of comments will be lost on Trek illiterates. There were several lines that in themselves were not funny, but in context, and with the show and the 6 other classic trek movies in mind, they made the whole audience of 1100 people laugh out loud. I can imagine how other people would have wondered where the fun was

I'm confident that if this movie is a success, and it looks that way so far, there will be more movies made

Auxtran

[7]May 13, 2009
    • level: 11
    I really liked the new movie too. Not a classic in it's own right, or even the best Trek movie, but definitely a worthy addition to the canon (although technically the canon may no longer exist ) I disagree with beowulf579 about this film not being newbie friendly. There was a whole bunch of people at my theater who didn't seem clued up on Trek or look like the typical demographic, but they enjoyed the movie, laughing at the appropriate moments and seeming to care about the characters. It's not the most accessible franchise relaunch I've seen, but it worked.
    Don't want to spoil things here, so won't really review yet.
    I'd give it an 8.

Tronman100

[8]May 13, 2009
    • level: 11
    I also have to express my extreme fondness for the movie. It was simply fantastic. To the poster above, yes I consider it both a great movie, and a great Star Trek movie. It seems to me that the film does indeed say (at least in imply) that the original reality is alive and functioning, despite the forked reality.

I also have to agree its something for newbies to watch: I know non-Star Trek fans who have seen the movie and loved it (they felt they understood most of it without having a Trek history).

If you're interested, I posted my thoughts more comprehensively on my blog (warning: spoilers!): http://jaysdesktop.blogspot.com/

Plus there's some stuff on my thoughts on Star Trek in general, but you can skip through that if you want.

SixFootDrop

[9]May 14, 2009
    • level: 4

I really dug the new Trek a lot. From my perspective, it brought back the fun and seat-of-your-pants adventuring of the original series (something that I think the franchise had lost sight of). I also really loved all the inside jokes.

That's not to say I disliked the more serious stuff, though. I thought the filmmakers did a good job delving into both Kirk and Spock, for instance.

Overall, it was a lot of fun and I can't wait to see what they've got in mind for a sequel.

beowulf579

[10]May 14, 2009
    • level: 59
    Well...I def hope that ppl not familiar with the original can enjoy it. I just have this nagging feeling that it won't capture the imagination of a new audience like the original can and does.

bigmindbust70

[11]May 15, 2009
    I just saw it again, it's even better the second time. This time I clapped when Leonard Nimoy's name showed up in the credits.

peach_25

[12]May 20, 2009
    • level: 4
    Best movie ever. My husband and I took his dad to see it and we enjoyed it a whole lot. I can't wait for this to come out on dvd so we can watch it again.

seto1

[13]May 22, 2009
    • level: 16
    It was a nice overhaul and exceptional casting,way to go sylar.

CaptainHarkness

[14]May 22, 2009
    • level: 23
    I thought the new movie was awesome. I now want to go and watch the Original series. I've only really seen a few episodes so It would be cool to watch them all.

vampiredawn

[15]May 22, 2009

CaptainHarkness wrote:
    I thought the new movie was awesome. I now want to go and watch the Original series. I've only really seen a few episodes so It would be cool to watch them all.

I can definitely recommend it! There's so much spirit and good nature and humor in that show

seto1

[16]May 22, 2009
    It may be hard to fully enjoy the effects after seeing the new movie and the more recent star trek but it remains iconic in my book.

vampiredawn

[17]May 23, 2009

seto1 wrote:
    It may be hard to fully enjoy the effects after seeing the new movie and the more recent star trek but it remains iconic in my book.

That really is no issue for me It never was. Special effects don't make a movie better for me personally, actually I often find that a movie that has too much obvious CGI tends to annoy me. I don't care that the old ST doesn't have any fancy special effects, it's not what I watch it for anyway, and I know it's 66 so I wouldn't expect anything else. Plus, compared to the old Dr. Who, TOS is actually quite good

vampiredawn

[18]May 23, 2009
    I can now say that it is just as good the fourth time

seto1

[19]May 23, 2009
    The fifth time is even better lol,im rather curious about how much the new movie has changed the time line,old spock was there so how much could it haved changed.

TV_Knight

[20]May 25, 2009
    • level: 7
    I loved it! It's now my favorite Star Trek movie!