Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

So What Did Everyone Think of the New Movie?

What did you think?

seto1

[22]May 26, 2009
    • level: 16
    None of the other movies even come close this has me wanting a new next generation but who would be a cool Picard.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

OctoberGirl9

[23]May 29, 2009
    • level: 8
    I have to admit I was a bit overly worried that they wouldn't capture the characters, and just to alot of fun special effects. Boy, was I blown away by how well they choose they actors and the storyline. As soon as the young/new Bones came on screen I couldn't help but feel awed by the performance and the natural way he seemed to connect and mimic Kelley. It was a true bittersweet experiance. Loved it and have seen it five times now. I was so thrilled when Nimoy came on screen that actually whistled and clapped. I completely embarresed my boyfriend. He still can't understand why I love the STOS, silly him. With Cho as Sulu, Urban as Bones, and Pegg as Scotty, the movie has been the only thing that's made me smile this year with all the economic and family problems. I say Bravo! All and all, love it and hope for more.

seto1

[24]May 31, 2009
    • level: 16
    OctoberGirl9 wrote:
    I have to admit I was a bit overly worried that they wouldn't capture the characters, and just to alot of fun special effects. Boy, was I blown away by how well they choose they actors and the storyline. As soon as the young/new Bones came on screen I couldn't help but feel awed by the performance and the natural way he seemed to connect and mimic Kelley. It was a true bittersweet experiance. Loved it and have seen it five times now. I was so thrilled when Nimoy came on screen that actually whistled and clapped. I completely embarresed my boyfriend. He still can't understand why I love the STOS, silly him. With Cho as Sulu, Urban as Bones, and Pegg as Scotty, the movie has been the only thing that's made me smile this year with all the economic and family problems. I say Bravo! All and all, love it and hope for more.
    I second that,i cant forget seeing them there all together almost like a huddle before a big game ,i was awestruck.

vampiredawn

[25]Jun 2, 2009
    • level: 14
    I've now seen it six times And it doesn't loose that feeling of OMG SQUEEEEE that it gave me the first time. It's done with so much love it just shines through and hits you smack in the face

Did you all notice Chris Pine's Shatner impersonation? *G* He's said in interviews that he wouldn't try to act like him, because, well, you can't act like Shatner *G* But because of this, when he did it it would be even more evident.

The scene by the end where Kirk has been given captaincy over the Enterprise. Everyone is on the bridge reporting, and then Kirk enters the bridge. His body language there, the way he moves and sways a bit with his hips, strides forward and says with a quick of his head, "Bones!" is SO MUCH SHATNER I only noticed it the third time around but now I can't stop laughing about it. It's so well done!

motleylil

[26]Jun 5, 2009
    • level: 19
    As a movie, it's just about the best blockbuster I've ever seen. As a Star Trek movie, it just didn't feel right. There were some parts that were filled with agressivity and raw anger, that just didn't feel like TOS or the first series of movies, which is what I consider being the "real" Star Trek. The pace was much too fast. Think about it, if any of the first 6 movies (I won't talk about the 4 others, since I haven't seen them) had been directed like the new one has been, they wouldn't last any more than an hour. It just didn't feel right, as a Star Trek movie. But I've got to admit it's a hell of a movie.

vampiredawn

[27]Jun 6, 2009
    • level: 14
    Well, the first six Star Trek movies didn't have the task of having to explain everything and introduce everyone and give us as much background history as possible, *and* a plot to write it all around, like this one had. Beyond pleasing old fans, this new movie was meant to introduce a new generation to the universe of Star Trek. It just required so much more work than the other movies. I think however, that in a sequel, they don't have to make it so comedic. We've had all the characters established now, so IMO they can tone that down a bit and go a bit darker. Not that I have any issue with the humor, it's a super feel-good movie, but I wouldn't mind that a next installment was more serious.
    Edited on 06/06/2009 8:39am

OctoberGirl9

[28]Jun 7, 2009
    • level: 8
    For the pace being fast, I did notice that. I was able to overlook it, but with the new age of faster faster faster, it did take away the feel to the "real" Star Trek FEEL. So I do agree. The original show and the movies worked a bit slower, and the new movie put you in a race car. Do hope that if a sequel is done they slow the action a bit refocus on the story. Then again, this is supposed to bring in the new generation. Oh well, it's just nice to have Star Trek back again, and our characters.