Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Star Trek 12

Tronman100

[1]Apr 27, 2007
    • level: 11

Just curious, if Star Trek 11 flops box-office wise, do you think a Star Trek 12 would ever happen? Is it time to retire the franchise?

Furthermore, If 11 suceeds, what direction do you think 12 will take?

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

vq30de

[2]Jul 9, 2007
    • level: 4
    I will say this, if 11 suceeds the 12th movie will move on to Deep Space Nine.

alex20020712

[3]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 7
    Tronman100 wrote:
    Is it time to retire the franchise?

No. Problem is, no one really understands why Nemesis did so bad. Many people have theories, but nothing solid.

The one thing we do know is, quality and commercial success rarely have anything in common.

heeroyuy2006

[4]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 8

alex20020712 wrote:
    Tronman100 wrote:
    Is it time to retire the franchise?
    No. Problem is, no one really understands why Nemesis did so bad. Many people have theories, but nothing solid. The one thing we do know is, quality and commercial success rarely have anything in common.

Ditto. Saying this, my theory why Nemesis failed was a combination of the time it came out (around the time of LOTR: The Two Towers), how director Stuart Baird edited out scenes that would have made the movie better, and that the story itself was a retread of elements of Wrath of Khan, The Undiscovered Country, and a few TNG episodes. However, I don't think the movie was as bad as a lot of fans thought it was. In fact, I wouldn't mind if they gave writer John Logan the chance to do that crossover film with other Trek series he talked about doing if Nemesis had been sucessful.

As far as Trek XII goes, I would figure that it would be another TOS movie if Trek XI is sucessful, possibly taking place during the series or between The Motion Picture and Wrath of Khan. Though, it's also slightly possible they might resurrect Star Trek: The Beginning. I think it's less likely for a DS9 or Voyager movie unless it's one that includes several TNG characters and even then it's more likely for such a movie to be made for tv instead of being a theatrical feature.

Edited on 07/10/2007 5:25am

alex20020712

[5]Jul 10, 2007
    • level: 7
    heeroyuy2006 wrote:
    However, I don't think the movie was as bad as a lot of fans thought it was.

Exactly. I wonder if the people who say this have seen I or V. The first movie was a commercial success, which made the rest of the movies and series possible, yet it was one of the worst movies.

"Fans" are becoming impossible to please, and the complaints are becoming more vicious. Nitpicking used to be fun. These days, every little flaw is a mortal wound. Having said that, some problems are significant and deserve to be pointed out.

Were there problems with Nemesis? Of course. Was it the worst movie, ever? No. The same goes for Enterprise. Even some episodes from the first two seasons (which were very weak overall) were decent.

Fans are not the main problem, either. Many people are still hungry for Star Trek, making their own Star Trek movies or seeking them out. I am sure the DVDs are selling, even at those outrageous prices. Thing is, fans are a very small minority of the audience required for a commercial success. The question is, where did that general audience go?

In the case of Nemesis, I am sure The Two Towers was a factor, but it could not be the whole answer. Editing? That might explain why people did not like the movie, but not why they did not go to see it, in the first place.

What about Enterprise? Ironically, a commercially successful TV show should be easier because it is free (you are only asking the audience for time, not time *and* money, and you have reruns, VCRs, etc), but it end up being more complicated and difficult to understand. Part of the answer there is the flawed and outdated ratings system, but this is still not the complete answer.

sporkman5353

[6]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 18

I think all the even ones are good and odd ones are bad, and yes i did like nemesis.

heeroyuy2006

[7]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 8
    sporkman5353 wrote:

I think all the even ones are good and odd ones are bad, and yes i did like nemesis.

I don't think all the odd numbered ones were bad. I thought The Search for Spock and Insurrection were solid. They weren't great, but were okay.

sfviewer

[8]Jul 30, 2007
    • level: 27
    i thought nemesis was really good. i really enjoyed watching that one. i can't believe trek fans didn't like it.