Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

"Star Trek" technologies

TelFan7

[21]Feb 25, 2007
    • level: 6

alex20020712 wrote:
    TelFan7 wrote:
    That's basically what "Worming" aka "Space Warping" is. But my method totally eliminates travel and it makes you feel like there's only ever A, that you never even change locations even though you do (the only way you know you're in C is by your surroundings) no B. You can stand-still and it's like instead of you passing through an open-door, an open-door passes through you. This is also like "Instant-Teleportation", aka "Momentary-Teleportation", and aka "String-Teleporatation"!!
    Something like Sliders or Stargate?

Yes, but infinitely faster than even those, since it happens in a moment the shortest measurement of time (in fact so fast time hasn't moved even though you don't actually stop it. WOW!!! THAT'S FAST!! It wouldn't be possible to go any faster). In Stargate you have to go through the stargate it doesn't go through you like my method would. I'm not sure a Sliders I would need to see that. A couple years in some magazine they mentioned the smallest measurement of time in which something could happen 10 to the something power(which would be probably over a thousand?, million?, or more digits). Any faster is a moment!!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[22]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 11
    I don't think either Warp Drive or Transporters can exist as they do in the Star Trek sense. There's no evidence to support that a matter/antimatter reaction would propel you faster then light, warp space, nor are there such a thing as dilithium crystals. And as for transporters taking you apart and putting you back together....well that just raises a whole bunch of questions.

The best I can think of that might work in reality would be the 'space warping' as you describe. Likely, it would in fact be the same technology which would in effect be both transporting and warp drive, since you can gain the same effect as for both warp drive and transporting (as in star trek) with it.

As for phasers, I haven't a sully clue if they could be invented or not. I think I read an article about the US military creating laser 'stun-guns' a while ago that, when fired, paralyzed a person for a few seconds and made them drop whatever they had in their hands, a gun or whatever.

TelFan7

[23]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 6
    Tronman100 wrote:
    As for phasers, I haven't a sully clue if they could be invented or not. I think I read an article about the US military creating laser 'stun-guns' a while ago that, when fired, paralyzed a person for a few seconds and made them drop whatever they had in their hands, a gun or whatever.

A week ago or so on some channel they had a show about "Star Trek Technologies" and the guy on it said that in order for a phaser to vaporize (dematerialize is the actual term used in the series') it would have to hotter than a nuclear explosion since it's a focused beam. And that the recoil (I didn't think energy beams caused recoils) would knock you half-way around the world (sounds a little impausible to me)!! But I do wonder if you'd go blind do to the heat neccessary to dematerialize someone if you're looking.