We're moving Forums to the Community pages. Click here for more information and updates.

Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

Star Trek The Tour is now Star Trek: The Exhibition; new tour schedule

123home123

[1]Jan 18, 2008
    • level: 56
    The traveling interactive exhibition "Star Trek The Tour" opened in Long Beach, California, on Fri., Jan. 18. The tribute to the Star Trek franchise will include full-size replicas of sets from the show, including the bridge of the original Enterprise, interactive features and the largest collection of Star Trek props, costumes and sets "anywhere." In all, the exhibition will take up 50,000 sq. ft. of space (on Earth, more specifically North America).

Can't make it out to Long Beach and Los Angeles this month? Don't worry. The show will travel to 40 cities all across North America over the next five years. For more information, visit the official Star Trek site and the "Star Trek The Tour" pages.

William Shatner seated on the new replica of Captain Kirk's chair on the bridge of the Enterprise

UPDATE (as of October 15, 2008):

The original tour ran into financial problems, which resulted in a dispute with investors and the site of the first stop. The exhibit materials were held at the Queen Mary until the debts were settled. The creditors took over the traveling exhibition completely and changed the name to "Star Trek: The Exhibition". The exhibit has been scaled down in size so that another traveling tour can take place at the same time.

The items were finally moved from the Queen Mary in June and the exhibition reopened in San Diego on June 21, 2008. Stops in future cities are expected to last longer than originally planned when it was known as Star Trek The Tour. With all of these curveballs, there isn't any reliable information about future cities and exhibit dates.

I've also read some online reviews written up by fans/attendees. Apparently there are a lot of extra charges involved with the exhibition, including photos, special features and souvenirs. It sounds pretty pricey. Could the organizers be going overboard with the revenue-enhancement plans? I hope not.

If you're in the San Diego area, visit startrektickets.com for more information on the current location of the exhibition.
    Edited on 10/14/2008 11:31pm
    Edited 3 total times.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Tronman100

[2]Jan 21, 2008
    • level: 11

Is there anywhere I can get a simple list on cities it will visit?

Edit: I found http://www.startrek.com/custom/include/community/tour/news/article/3.html but it doesn't have the dates, I guess they aren't perminant yet.

Edited on 01/21/2008 11:40am

123home123

[3]Jun 16, 2008
    There still aren't any set dates for future cities yet. The tour extended its stay in Long Beach, California, through May 15. It will take some time to pack all the exhibits in preparation for the move to the next city. Then it will take more time to unpack everything and set up the exhibit at the new location, wherever that may be.

I hadn't checked on this since back in January. If I hear about any updates, I'll post them on this thread. Other people should feel free to post new cities and dates as well once they are announced.

my1sunshine

[4]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 12
    Wow! I would love to visit something like this!

123home123

[5]Jul 21, 2008
    Still no official updates on the tour schedule. Some articles state that the exhibit will move on to San Francisco, another West Coast city and then to the Midwest. No dates have been confirmed yet for any of these cities.

I don't know how they'll reach 40 cities in the next five years at this rate. They've only been to one city so far after 6 months. Maybe they are having problems with the various museums.

teknodave

[6]Aug 14, 2008
    • level: 23
    I would be surprised if the "other" west coast city is not Seattle, sincethe Sci-Fi Museum at the Seattle Center.

123home123

[7]Oct 15, 2008
    I updated the first post in the thread. The initial organizers ran into money problems so the tour was held up in Long Beach for a time. The creditors eventually took over the traveling exhibition and are relaunching it as "Star Trek: The Exhibition".

It finally moved onto San Diego in June where I think it's still located. The new exhibition is smaller than the original one but there may be a second traveling tour planned. Each stop in future cities may last longer than under the original schedule too.

It sounds like it was poorly run and maybe there was too much of a focus on squeezing dollars from exhibit attendees (extra charges for photos, special features and souvenirs).

No word on when the exhibition will be moving on from San Diego. I'll post any news as I come across it. Meanwhile you can visit startrektickets.com for information about the San Diego stop.
    Edited on 10/14/2008 11:31pm