Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

The 'New' Original Star Trek

I think the overhaul of the original Star Trek is . . .

lobomensch

[41]Nov 18, 2006
    • level: 51
    Maybe new controls/panel for the pressure chamber, instead of having Kirk look like he's in a laundromat.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[42]Nov 19, 2006
    • level: 60
    LOL...the front load dryer controls looked pretty much the same.

Yeah, new Botany Bay visuals, if that's your thing...of course, the Botany Bay really doesn't do anything except serve as a vessel, so I wonder WHY you need improved visuals, but then...
    Edited on 11/19/2006 3:12pm

lobomensch

[43]Nov 19, 2006
    Must..stop..spin..cycle

Just watched it, liked how they made the Botany Bay look more life-like in listing in space as well as the close-ups of it.

Mac-Ale

[44]Nov 19, 2006
    I must be old school, I really liked the original Botany Bay model, and since it was a sleeper ship, I never really thought it needed to do much, or "spin off" after the Enterprise was taken over, etc...

BUT, it made a very poor idea for an ore freighter in the "Ultimate Computer"...

lobomensch

[45]Nov 19, 2006
    I liked the original model too but did feel it was moving a little too neatly for a ship that was supposed to be adrift.

skaizun

[46]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 20

For those of us who don't care for the "enhanced" version of ST:TOS, TVLand is running the original as it was meant to be shown, minus the added splicings for commercials.  However, there are peculiarities about the editing. For example, during last night's (Nov 19, 2006) "marathon", near the end of the episode "A Piece of the Action" (an entire planet's culture is altered by a single book on 20th century mobsters left by a previous Federation ship), there were two odd cuts:

1) The "main" boss, Oxmyx (forgive me if I don't have the right spellings!), agrees with Kirk that there are too many bosses and too much chaos, by saying, "Krakko hits Tappo, Tappo hits . . ." (Marx Brothers much?). It wasn't a horrible omission, but it would have added some flavor to the story's resolution, and it would have made it clear as to why Oxmyx and the other bosses agreed to the truce.

2) Aboard the Enterprise, Spock seems more pensive than usual, so Kirk asks him why he's brooding. Spock, in typical Vulcan manner asks, "Brooding, Captain?", to which Kirk replies, "'Brooding', Mr. Spock, a somber emotional state", to which Spock indignantly responds, "I am neither brooding nor somber". However, in this episode, the Kirk reply was omitted, making Spock's "response" somewhat strange (i.e., why did he say "somber"?).

Given what I've seen of both edited versions, I'll take the old, cut-up versions over the new ones, any day!
    OLD SCHOOL RULZ!!! 

P.S. Shatner and Nimoy appeared throughout the marathon to give fans faux background and trivia, some of which were cute, if not funny. For example, Nimoy said that Executive Producer Gene Roddenberry originally wanted George ("Goober" from "Mayberry RFD") Lindsey to be Spock! Definitely poking fun at us fans, I laughed until it hurt!

Mac-Ale

[47]Nov 20, 2006
    I still far prefer the non-enhanced versions...

Any of these cuts are a total drag though...I mean jeez, I assumed that things were cut for syndication in the 70s and 80s and now there is dialog from those cut episodes that is further cut. Are there really that more commercials today than there was in 1981 on an independent station?

lobomensch

[48]Nov 20, 2006
    Very much more...average episode in 80s would run about 50-51 minutes with commercials, that's down to 42 now.
    I don't have to worry about the commercial/syndication cuts/digital altering for TOS though.. have all of TOS on DVD. And for people that don't, I think Amazon and DeepDiscountDVD are running some great specials on the season boxed sets, check them out. I'm just watching these newer 'enhanced' ones mainly out of curiosity. Having been a Trek fan since the early 70s (back when Trek fandom and books were only things we had besides repeats) I have a vested interest in this approach.

GarrisonSkunk

[49]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 27

P.S. Shatner and Nimoy appeared throughout the marathon to give fans faux background and trivia, some of which were cute, if not funny. For example, Nimoy said that Executive Producer Gene Roddenberry originally wanted George ("Goober" from "Mayberry RFD") Lindsey to be Spock! Definitely poking fun at us fans, I laughed until it hurt!

[/QUOTE]

I liked Nimoy's bit with the tricorder, aiming it at some food. "Oh, see, that's got milk in it. I'm lactose intolorant, I can't eat that"

GarrisonSkunk

[50]Nov 20, 2006
    • level: 27
    I just showed the enhanced "Trouble with Tribbles" back to back with the DS9 episode "Trials and Tribble-ations" to my 18 year old nephew who had never seen ether before (He grew up on NG and lost interest near the latter years of DS9) and he was quite impressed with both the story and technical inhancements. He was  especially impressed with the DS9 shot of Bashir and O'Brian in the post fight line-up. Are the same people who did that episode doing the new enhanced versions of the other episodes?

123home123

[51]Nov 21, 2006
    • level: 55
    The new Star Trek finally started airing around here this weekend. I saw the "Space Seed" episode. I wasn't really impressed with the additions. The Botany Bay looked too clean, almost as though it were a cartoon superimposed on the regular footage. Same with the shots of the Enterprise. The grainy quality of the original versions made the ships seem more lifelike. The new ships look too perfect. It breaks the suspension of disbelief.

CGI still has a problem with looking real. Can't they film this stuff indirectly? By this, I mean that they could create all the digital effects and then film them with again with a camera as they are played on a special screen. This would introduce some minor flaws and remove some of the "sheen" from the ships. It could make the ships appear as though actual miniature models were being filmed. At least they didn't overdo the new effects like they did with Star Wars.

For those who prefer the original versions, TV Land will continue to air those episodes on a daily basis, at 11 pm on most nights.

If you want to see the uncut versions but you don't want to buy an entire DVD set, try out the Amazon.com Unbox Downloads. The picture quality is excellent and you can buy individual episodes. The 1st one is free for a limited time.
    Edited on 11/27/2006 7:59am

Abriel004

[52]Nov 26, 2006
    • level: 8
    I think they have changed the time for the "New" st:tos because it used to be on Sundays at midnight on The CW. I just now found out that the "New" st:tos is now on saturdays at eleven on The CW. Really bad time placement as Trinity Blood is on at eleven-thirty. I wish if they were gonna change showtimes that they would have at least TrIeD to put it on Fridays at eleven-thirty or even Fridays at midnight would have been fine.

Oh, well, c'est la vie.

Sincerely,
    Rally

123home123

[53]Nov 27, 2006
    • level: 55
    The schedules for the syndicated episodes are determined locally, station by station. The new versions air here on Sundays at 2 pm.

lobomensch

[54]Nov 27, 2006
    So, what did everyone think of "The Menagerie, Part I?" I liked the nighttime vista shot shown, along with the shuttlecraft in the window we saw. Not going to say too much here as this episode really wasn't modified that much. Pike still had the clunky chair, though maybe there was some digital alteration to the facial make-up? Anyone else see that?

Mac-Ale

[55]Nov 28, 2006
    I thought there might be some alteration in Pike's make-up...I also thought that McCoy had much more pronounced red blotches on his face in "City on the Edge of Forever"...in the "Menagerie", the scenes outside the starbase building windows were better, but as usual, I missed some things more, especially the scene where Spock grabs the shaking flowers on the Talos planet surface and smiles broadly.

alex20020712

[56]Nov 28, 2006
    • level: 7
    It is one thing to replace the old Enterprise model with a digital one, but messing with an actor's face or acting would probably invite a lawsuit.

ReclusiveWriter

[57]Nov 28, 2006
    • level: 13

I liked the alterations to "The Menagerie", but Pike didn't look changed to me.  The enhancements to Starbase 11 gave it a much better look, in addition to the shuttlecraft, which to me, always looked like a joke.  But Pike didn't looked overhauled to me.

As for not seeing Spock grab the singing plants, that's not due to it being cut out. It's due to station edits to make more time for those blasted commercials.  The whole thing will be present when Star Trek Remastered is released on DVD.

Mac-Ale

[58]Nov 29, 2006
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:

I liked the alterations to "The Menagerie", but Pike didn't look changed to me.  The enhancements to Starbase 11 gave it a much better look, in addition to the shuttlecraft, which to me, always looked like a joke.  But Pike didn't looked overhauled to me.

As for not seeing Spock grab the singing plants, that's not due to it being cut out. It's due to station edits to make more time for those blasted commercials.  The whole thing will be present when Star Trek Remastered is released on DVD.

There are remastered "enhanced" versions for syndication and for release on DVD that are different?

alex20020712

[59]Nov 29, 2006
    • level: 7
    Mac-Ale wrote:
    There are remastered "enhanced" versions for syndication and for release on DVD that are different?

DVDs do not have commercial breaks, and they do not have to fit in the 1-hour slot. Clearly, what they show on TV has to be mutilated.
    Edited on 11/29/2006 1:46pm

ReclusiveWriter

[60]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 13
    The fx for The Menagerie Part II include improvements for the park scene with Pike and Vina. The background is much more parklike, and the city in the background is no longer a bad matte painting. More will be posted as I see it tonight!