Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

The 'New' Original Star Trek

I think the overhaul of the original Star Trek is . . .

ReclusiveWriter

[61]Dec 3, 2006
    • level: 13
    The fx for The Menagerie Part II include improvements for the park scene with Pike and Vina. The background is much more parklike, and the city in the background is no longer a bad matte painting. More will be posted as I see it tonight!
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[62]Dec 4, 2006
    • level: 60
    I really looked at that scene and didn't notice a lot of difference...I always thought it was the weakest set in the original episode, "The Cage" generally had good sets and matte paintings, they even tried for background hills on the Talos planet surface.

ReclusiveWriter

[63]Dec 5, 2006

One of the other overhauls that I neglected to mention from Menagerie Part I was the opening shot of footage from "The Cage".

If you recall, the opening shot closed in on the bridge dome of the Enterprise and 'entered' it, though at a really bad angle (by today's standards. In the 60's, I'm sure it was the best they could do). There is a new CG shot of the Enterprise now, with a much improved entry into the bridge. I thought it was a vast improvement.

The next episode will be "The Corbomite Maneuver"! I'm looking forward to improved maneuvering shots of the Enterprise, as well as possibly an improvement over that colored child's block that served as Balok's warning buoy, and possibly an overhaul of the Fesarius.

We'll see this weekend! (Then come the holiday reruns, and none of those are ones that I missed because of being blacked out by the MLB playoffs and farking world series!)

ac4aq

[64]Dec 5, 2006
    • level: 6
    Having seen the renovated Star Trek episodes up to Menagerie-II, I have to say that the changes are mostly for the better. The new opening theme is excellent, the original incidental music now has improved fidelity and of course the ship exteriors and planet views are dramatically improved. (And the Gorn now has eyelids!) So I wait patiently for my favorite episodes, such as The Doomsday Machine and Elaan of Troyius, which are a bit heavy on scenes that require the new & improved special photographic effects and thus will be long time in coming.

My only criticism is directed to the network and the broadcaster in my area. Each of the episodes that have aired so far have several minutes of footage cut out, allowing the broadcast executives to ram even more advertising down our throats. While the Standardized Chopped versions are better than the haphazard editing employed by local affiliates back in the 70's and 80's, nevertheless on occasion action important to the plot goes missing.

It is regrettable that the decision was not made to allocate a 90-minute time slot and air each episode in its entirety, with extra time for goodie reel scenes, cast and crew interviews and beaucoup commercials. The "remastered" designation rings like a styrofoam bell when applied to mutilated productions so I will not consider them "remastered" until I obtain them in some medium which includes every frame in 1080i format.

jHh

ReclusiveWriter

[65]Dec 6, 2006
    Well, then, sounds like you and I are both planning to get our hands on the DVD sets when they are released! And it is confirmed - the Remastered TOS will (eventually) be released on DVD.

alex20020712

[66]Dec 7, 2006
    • level: 7
    ac4aq wrote:
    It is regrettable that the decision was not made to allocate a 90-minute time slot and air each episode in its entirety, with extra time for goodie reel scenes, cast and crew interviews and beaucoup commercials.

When the SciFi channel did that a few years ago, presented by Shatner and Nimoy, the moaning and whining from people posting to their forums was deafening.

ReclusiveWriter

[67]Dec 8, 2006
    By what idiotically inconceivable reason were they whining about?

aolhater

[68]Dec 8, 2006
    • level: 5
    Thats a lot of messages.
    Edited on 12/08/2006 7:37pm

123home123

[69]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 55
    Maybe it was a case of the vocal minority. When the Special Edition of Star Trek aired, Sci Fi had the highest ratings in its history to that point.

123home123

[70]Dec 10, 2006
    The large ship in The Corbomite Maneuver looks pretty good, although I don't really remember what the original version looked like.

Mac-Ale

[71]Dec 10, 2006
    • level: 60
    Similar, but it was more of a "soft focus" look of glowing spheres, here it looked more metallic with a texture to its surfaces. The best part of the new effects to me were the reflections of light on the Enterprise, I still think that the cube is shown too close to the ship in some shots. And I guess there was no way to remove the scenes of McCoy on the bridge switching from his normal crew uniform to his short-sleeved metallic medical shirt and back agan.

ReclusiveWriter

[72]Dec 11, 2006

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGH!

I didn't get to see it!!!!

Why? You can thank my local network, Fox (though these days, I replace the 'o' with a 'u', cuz that's all they seem to do lately) and its lackluster presentation.  They did NOT show "The Corbomite Maneuver", but ran "The Menagerie Part II" again!!  WHAT IS WRONG WITH THESE IDIOTS?!!

Ok, so I'm annoyed with my local network.  Who hasn't been at some point?

And according to the airdates on www.startrek.com, "The Corbomite Maneuver" won't be aired again for quite some time!

alex20020712

[73]Dec 11, 2006
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:
    By what idiotically inconceivable reason were they whining about?

I guess they did not know they could record the shows, and fast-forward through the commercials. I cannot describe the whining. You had to be there.

alex20020712

[74]Dec 11, 2006
    Mac-Ale wrote:
    Similar, but it was more of a "soft focus" look of glowing spheres, here it looked more metallic with a texture to its surfaces.

The original looks more like M&Ms to me. :-)

The original series should always be available unedited, but the re-edited version looks very good. We should never have to choose one or the other.

The unedited version will always be interesting to watch, and see what people did with the resources they had, then. The re-edited version is just a lot of fun to watch.

GarrisonSkunk

[75]Dec 12, 2006
    • level: 27
    Have they refurnished "Tomorrow is Yesterday" yet? I'd be interested to see how they'll update the shots of the Enterprise in the blue Earth sky during the teaser, and the views from Capt Christopher's POV in his plane.

ReclusiveWriter

[76]Dec 12, 2006

"Tomorrow is Yesterday" will be airing the 2nd weekend of May, '07.  I'm looking forward to seeing the Enterprise's slingshot around the sun, like in The Voyage Home, assuming they decide to upgrade that far.

123home123

[77]Dec 23, 2006
    The new effects were impressive in "Balance of Terror," especially the close-up shot of the main phaser firing from the Enterprise.

hrtonslv

[78]Dec 23, 2006
    I haven't seen any of these remastered episodes.  What do they add besides Phaser fire and close ups of digital read outs?

123home123

[79]Dec 24, 2006
    All of the spaceship exterior shots are completely redone. The ships, planets, comets, stars and phasers are all brand new CGI effects. The comet effect was a significant improvement over the original in "Balance of Terror."

hrtonslv

[80]Dec 25, 2006
    I'll have to get a hold of them. I still have my Star Trek collection on VHS. (And in "EP mode" at that!) Also, since I taped them off the tv, each episode has a missing segment because they always cut them down a bit to fit all the commercials in. My biggest disappointment is that I don't have the scene in "And the children shall lead" where one of the kids wants "Peach" flavored ice cream in addition to chocolate wobble and pistachio. Nurse Chapel gave the kid such a look! My life just doesn't seem complete unless I have that scene on video somewhere.