Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

The 'New' Original Star Trek

I think the overhaul of the original Star Trek is . . .

lobomensch

[81]Dec 26, 2006
    • level: 51
    I liked the Romulan "fireball" that wiped out the station, a little more convincing this time, and the shots of the Warbird were good as well -- same shots almost but a lot cleaner looking.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

ReclusiveWriter

[82]Dec 28, 2006
    • level: 13
    Yeah, especially since the ships aren't semi-transparent with the remaster.

123home123

[83]Jan 7, 2007
    • level: 55
    "Friday's Child" turned out to be a bit of a disaster. Several lines were cut from the episode including the "fool me once, shame on you" line from Scotty. There was little continuity in the flow of the story. Kirk is negotiating with the tall people in the funny circus costumes and all of a sudden they have to flee for the hills. I didn't really get the point of the episode. There was no philosophical message and the action didn't make any sense. Why should we care what happens to the people on the planet?

Kirk had a lot of awful lines. They were supposed to be funny but they just fell flat.

The new CGI shots were quite good but they couldn't rescue the lame story. I've noticed that the woman's voice in the theme music in the last few episodes has been increased in volume in the overall mix. Now it sounds much more like the original.

In all, a highly dissatisfying episode. I don't know if the edits made it that much worse but it really was disappointing to watch.
    Edited on 01/07/2007 11:54pm

alex20020712

[84]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 7
    123home123 wrote:
    Several lines were cut from the episode including the "fool me once, shame on you" line from Scotty.

Ah, the joy of having to watch 10 more minutes of commercials...

When I am in charge, I will keep those episodes uncut, and charge more for fewer commercials.

Mac-Ale

[85]Jan 8, 2007
    • level: 60
    I've got to say that "Friday's Child" never had a lot ot work with.

ReclusiveWriter

[86]Jan 11, 2007
    At least this time around, the Klingon ship looked like a ship, instead of some weird, color-changing vague shape on the viewscreen!  That one part, I've always found UNforgivable. Now that's been fixed.

ReclusiveWriter

[87]Jan 11, 2007

Next up is "Wink of an Eye".  This episode, I've never been that wild about. Aside from exteriors of the Enterprise, I can't really imagine what changes will have been made to it. I'll be more interested to "Where No Man Has Gone Before", which comes the week after this one.

My expectations: Improved galactic barrier, improved exteriors, and possibly shots of Mitchell's powers improved. Personally, if it were me, I'd have the powers look similar to Q's.

Speaking of that, when "The Squire of Gothos" comes along, I hope to Sto-Vo-Kor that they lose that stupid "bong-ong-ong-ong-ong!" sound.  That's one thing in TOS I have always HATED!

ReclusiveWriter

[88]Jan 15, 2007

Well, "Wink of an Eye" is the first third season episode seen to be given the overhaul treatment. As expected, it retains the white text seen in the 3rd season.  Me, I like the newer vocals, because they don't sound as shrill to my ears.

Aside from the exteriors of the Enterprise, which in themselves, are outstanding, "Wink of an Eye" included a redesign Scalosian city, and better effects on some of the phaser shots when Kirk and Spock are attempting to get at the alien technology aboard their ship.  But honestly, I can't offer a truly objective commentary on this, because I'd only seen the original version of this episode once.  There are some episodes I haven't seen as much as the others. Perhaps I should attempt to remedy that.

Next up: "Where No Man Has Gone Before"!!!! The second pilot episode which introduced the audiences to Gary Mitchell, and the dangerous galactic barrier, which would be seen in several subsequent episodes of TOS. Personally, I expect a better design to the galactic barrier, as well as vastly improved shots of the Enterprise. Possibly even improve the shots of Mitchell's abilities in action, and redesign the silver eyes to look less fake, if you know what I mean.

But we'll have to wait a while to see this one, unfortunately.

Mac-Ale

[89]Jan 15, 2007
    The science fiction is so weak in "Wink of an Eye", the time sequences make no sense as both the "slow world" and the "fast world" play in the same time frame. I was doing something else when the show aired, glad they at least worked to make the city a non-copy of Emeniar 7...well, if they had to monkey around with it at all.

First season 3 ep to show, right?

ReclusiveWriter

[90]Jan 21, 2007

Yes, you're correct. This is the first 'overhauled' episode from season 3 to air.

TONIGHT! - "Where No Man Has Gone Before"!  Already, some still images have been posted on www.startrek.com, which give you a small idea of what they've done.  The new image of the galactic barrier is amazing! And as was done with "Devil in the Dark", the matte painting of the Delta Vega station has been replaced with a 3D CG version that is very well done.  Haven't seen any other improvements yet, but fortunately for me, the airing is just under 12 hours away!

Next week: "For the World is Hollow, and I Have Touched the Sky", the episode with the longest title in Trek history!  I think we should expect to see vastly improved shots of the Enterprise and Yonada!

Mac-Ale

[91]Jan 21, 2007
    I really liked the painting of the lithium cracking station, sad to see it go.

ReclusiveWriter

[92]Jan 21, 2007

So, you're a purist of the old TOS, eh?

As for me, a child of the generation of good fx and such, I'm enjoying these overhauls. February should be a very enjoyable month for me, as three of my favorite episodes are airing!

2-3-7 - "Journey to Babel" (We should actually get to SEE the enemy ship!)

2-10-7 - "The Doomsday Machine" (An improved planet-killer, and a non-plastic looking U.S.S. Constellation! Not to mention the fact that they've probably fixed the scale problems to where Decker's shuttle doesn't look bigger than the Constellation as they enter the planet-killer.)

2-17-7 - "Amok Time" (Quite possibly, improved landscapes to Vulcan.)

2-24-7 - "The Paradise Syndrome" (Though this isn't a fave of mine, it's a good one. The new asteroid effects should be really nice, and not just recycled footage from "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky.")

Edited on 01/21/2007 5:43pm

Mac-Ale

[94]Jan 21, 2007
    Good gravy, the new image of Delta Vega is almost the same, just a slightly more exaggerated front to back perspective, some additional wires and fru-fru, and a brighter sky.

They threw away the one of the finest Star Trek matte painting of all time for that?

No respect for history or how special matte paintings were on series television in the 1960s.

ReclusiveWriter

[95]Jan 21, 2007

ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

BLAST YOU, FOX NETWORK!!!!!

This is the 2ND TIME that an episode I've been wanting to see (A LOT!) has been 'accidentally' bumped off by the one that aired LAST week!

"Wink of an Eye" started playing!! Once is an annoyance. Twice is UNFORGIVABLE!

I'm going down to the local Fox branch office tomorrow and see what idiot has been asleep at the switch!

123home123

[96]Jan 22, 2007
    • level: 55
    Although the story in "Wink of an Eye" was so-so and the physics didn't really add up, I have to give it extra points for Kathie Browne's presence (Deela). And for her costume too. At least if I have to sit through a sloppy story, I can watch Kathie Browne for the better part of 44 minutes.

ReclusiveWriter

[97]Jan 23, 2007

Well, thanks to YouTube, and someone posting the remastered fx on there in continuous reels, I was able to see the remastered fx for "Where No Man Has Gone Before".

I LOVE the remastered shots of the Enterprise entering and fleeing the barrier! The barrier was also MUCH more intimidating in appearance, and the shots of the Delta Vega station, though redone with a CG replica of the matte painting were much cleaner than the painting.  I've had to resort to this approach for "The Corbomite Maneuver", "I, Mudd", and "Arena".  Thank you World Series Baseball for preempting the GOOD stuff in my area!   In cases of "Corbomite" and "WNMHGB", both times they started playing the previous week's episode.    Those I might not get to see until Star Trek: TOS Remastered comes out on DVD.

Mac-ale, if you're not enjoying the remasters, then why watch?  They're by no means planning to get rid of the old versions, but for those of us from "The Next Generation" (pun intended), I see nothing wrong with updating the fx to attract a newer audience. Especially those who think fx matter.

Mac-Ale

[98]Jan 23, 2007
    ReclusiveWriter wrote:
    Mac-ale, if you're not enjoying the remasters, then why watch?  They're by no means planning to get rid of the old versions, but for those of us from "The Next Generation" (pun intended), I see nothing wrong with updating the fx to attract a newer audience. Especially those who think fx matter.

I watch because I watched the series since its original reun in the 60s and because I've always had an interest in the history of special effects over the last 100 years. Its interesting to see the approach they are taking. So far, I'm somewhat impressed by the some changes less so by others.

Effects matter me too, so a new energy barrier with a more "realistic" look of the ship backlit against the light (which only seems realistic because light sources on Earth usually look that way) are actually less "realistic" when matched with the original footage of Delta Vega which are shot on a sound stage with painted backgrounds.

ReclusiveWriter

[99]Jan 24, 2007

Update: Images of the Remastered U.S.S. Enterprise and asteroid Yonada from "For the World is Hollow and I Have Touched the Sky" have been posted on www.startrek.com

WOW!!!! NOW it looks believable, and not a crappy 2-models-on-sticks shot, as seen below!

Edited on 01/24/2007 6:16pm

Mac-Ale

[100]Jan 25, 2007
    Image 2 is MUCH more realistic, the ship looks like a solid non-rendered object, the asteroid is better because it is in the distance and shouldn't have hyper-detailed surfaces. Image 1 simply meets CGI expectations.

I will admit that the moving of the asteroid in "Paradise Syndrome" looks artificial, its an optical effect transposed that's moved across the surface of the film. THERE'S a good place for the CBS/Paramount digit heads to move in and help out.