Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

The 'New' Original Star Trek

I think the overhaul of the original Star Trek is . . .

ReclusiveWriter

[121]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 13
    Already aired. Aside from redesigning the look of the Guardian's planet, and the CG Enterprise, nothing new. Same thing.
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[122]Feb 17, 2007
    • level: 60
    I actually did think that a lot of the "Doomsday" effects looked cheap (like I said, "on a budget").

I think its fairly clever to install the battle grounds on a high pedestal on the planet, so that looks fun.

I have to laugh at the idea of the movie version being the "real" Vulcan, given that the movies were mostly expensive flops that told less of a story than a good "real" episode of the original series. But that's just me, we all have our opinions.
    Edited on 02/17/2007 3:32pm

ReclusiveWriter

[123]Feb 17, 2007

AAAAAAAAAAAAGHH!!

BLAST YOU FOX NETWORK!!!!!!!

Instead of showing "Amok Time", they played some stupid 2-cent public access FISHING SHOW!!! $#!+!

Tomorrow night is a rerun of "The Doomsday Machine", which means I have to wait yet ANOTHER WEEK to see the new version of "Amok Time"!

If I could get my hands on the programming IDIOT who made that decision, I'd show him Klingon vengeance!

Edited on 02/17/2007 4:09pm
    Edited 2 total times.

Mac-Ale

[124]Feb 17, 2007
    For some reason, my local isn't running the show either...there's a chance it will show tomorrow at 10:00 PM...

ReclusiveWriter

[125]Feb 17, 2007
    Like I said, in my area, it's a rerun of last week's tomorrow. 

Mac-Ale

[126]Feb 18, 2007
    Well, the new effects on "Amok Time" are nice and I kind of wish that they were possible in the 60s, many fans really looked forward to this episode. As usual for these re-makes, they don't blend that well with the soundstage set. Other odd things that remain are T'Pau's odd accent and the use of "thee" and "thou" when speaking (never really followed up on in the franchise) and the heavy use of modified Romulan helmets to save money and time on ear make-up.

Nothing really interfered with the story, so I give this update a thumbs-up (as an update).

Deanna_T

[127]Feb 18, 2007
    • level: 28
    it's shinny and i love it. new fx add to the show. unlike voy and ent that looked nice but had nothing to them in the first place. tos has the plot, why not add amazing fx to the mix? the volcano/fighting area in amok time was stunning and imo, looked better than the volcanos on ent. i've always been a tos a fan, and i like it even more.

GarrisonSkunk

[128]Feb 19, 2007
    • level: 27
    I missed the very begining of "Amok Time"....did they redo the opening Enterprise establishing shot with the Enterprise flying straight into the camera as a CG version of the original shot, or did they just substitue a new Enterprise flyby?  I  always liked that first shot for some reason.

ReclusiveWriter

[129]Feb 19, 2007

Pleasant surprise!  Something told me to have my VCR ready to tape on Sunday night, and VOILA!  Not "Doomsday Machine", but "Amok Time"!

Aside from cutting a little too much dialogue where Spock pleads with T'Pau,  I really liked it!

Did anyone else notice that they put a background on the still photo of T'Pring as a child?  The old version showed only a grey wall, as if it were a mugshot.

It was a standard CG Enterprise at warp shot at the beginning, btw.

Next up: "The Paradise Syndrome".  Not one of my personal favorites, but I'm looking forward to seeing the improved asteroid deflection in this episode!

ReclusiveWriter

[130]Feb 25, 2007

Well, the new asteroid on "The Paradise Syndrome" is quite different from the Yonada asteroid! CG modelers based this asteroid on images taken from NASA.

Above: The Enterprise approaches the asteroid. Below: The asteroid under fire

Much improved! Next week is a rerun of "Space Seed". After that comes "Wolf in the Fold". Should be interesting to see if anything is done to improve, oh say, that kaleidoscope that passed for the evil entity. After that, a rerun of "I, Mudd", which I'm looking forward to, as it was blacked out by the farking world series. After "I, Mudd" is "The Naked Time", and after that is one of my TOP favorites - "The Tholian Web"!

Aside from vastly improved CG for the Tholian ships (You can see THROUGH the old ones, for Gre'thor's sake!), I expect to see this -

into this!

The hard part is going to be waiting so long until this episode!

Mac-Ale

[131]Feb 25, 2007
    It would be a true mistake to change the Tholian transmission, as it was actually realistic that they probably communicate in infrared and other off frequencies that don't translate to the human visual spectrum. The Tholians were MUCH better in TOS than "Enterprise", true aliens and more realistic because of their differences. Even at that. "Enterprise" made sure that they used cut-rate cheap-looking CGI to try to match the Tholians to the original series.

But, all said and done, "Paradise Syndrome" was not ruined by the effects swaps, not any better, but not any worse.

ReclusiveWriter

[132]Feb 26, 2007

Once again, we are in disagreement.

If you want to stick to old-school Tholians, stick with the old-school episodes.

Me, I loved seeing the real Tholian. (Six legs and crystalline, and you call that NOT alien?), and I'm still hoping to see one on the Remastered TOS.

Mac-Ale

[133]Feb 26, 2007
    It was nice to imagine an alien life form that was truly alien with swirling spectra and gaseous effects, not just an insectoid-looking thing. The Tholian CGI in "Enterprise" looked a little hokey and jerky, maybe a step above the dinosaurs in "The Lost World" TV series.

But I'm sure they will do something with them anyways. I'm stil puzzled how later movies and shows are "real" when the original isn't.

ReclusiveWriter

[134]Mar 9, 2007

This week's coming episode is "Wolf in the Fold".  I'm not sure what changes to expect this time, because I've seen no pre-release images yet.

If you caught the remaster of "Catspaw", then you'll recall how they pulled back the camera and expanded the shot of Korob and Sylvia's castle to a complete structure, and not just a partial front.  I'm wondering if this time, we might actually see more of Argelius than a few dark, foggy alleys. It's supposed to be a very beautiful planet, isn't it? Dark alleys aren't exactly conducive to bolstering that claim!

Perhaps also have something on the monitor screens other than a kaleidoscope when the entity inhabits the ship's computer.

Mac-Ale

[135]Mar 9, 2007
    I think that the only way they could "pull back the camera" was to add digital matte around the early shot, so maybe they might do that again. Maybe they will just update the planet from space and a few small things like in "I, Mudd'. I'm not expecting a lot of differences on this one.

ReclusiveWriter

[136]Mar 11, 2007

Well, they didn't fix Argelius. In fact the only change this time around, aside from the atrocious hack-editing, were the exterior shots of the Enterprise. Next week is a repeat, "I, Mudd", which I have not seen, since it was blotted out by the kriffing World Series, the first time it aired, so for me, it's a new one! I've seen the still images, as well as the vfx reel on YouTube, but it'll still be good to actually SEE it!

After that comes another repeat, "The Naked Time", and then, one of my top favorites, "The Tholian Web"!

Those who have followed this thread have noticed something of a debate between me and Mac-Ale, regarding the remasters. We'll see what happens with "The Tholian Web", in a few weeks.

Mac-Ale

[137]Mar 11, 2007
    Not a lot to see in "I, Mudd", some differences in the android inner workings, and they gave the planet an attractive ring system.

While I don;'t want to see a change in the Tholians (probably for naught), if they are going to muck around, the two Tholian ships and web could be made better-looking.

ReclusiveWriter

[138]Mar 12, 2007

We are in agreement on the Tholian ships and web.  Those looked outstanding on Enterprise!

The reason it seems different? Well, you couldn't exactly do the web in 3d on TOS, could you? Plus, this web had close to 10 Tholian ships, which allowed construction to proceed much more quickly!  With only two ships, like on TOS, it doesn't surprise me that it ended up taking those Tholians hours.

ReclusiveWriter

[139]Mar 22, 2007

The trailer for the new version of "The Tholian Web" is on www.startrek.com!

The fx for the Defiant look great!  They also show its vanishing point, which is more than just fading out (the same effect TOS used with cloaking devices), as well as the Tholian ships.  No image of the Tholians themselves that I saw, but for me, the trailer froze about halfway through.

Can anyone else check the rest of it, see if we get a look at Loskene?

Thanx!

Mac-Ale

[140]Apr 1, 2007
    I'll be interested to hear your opinion on this one. I liked that they kept the original alien Tholian look but even I would have liked better new versions of the Tholian ships and web.

Its been ten years since I've seen this episode, I am a little surprised at the reminder that I think its not well-written at all, but that's just my opinion.