Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

The 'New' Original Star Trek

I think the overhaul of the original Star Trek is . . .

ReclusiveWriter

[141]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 13

I was disappointed that Loskene was not upgraded, but I did like the upgrade to the Tholian ship, which now appear to be more advanced versions of the ones seen in Enterprise.

I also liked the new fade-out effect of the Defiant as it was pulled 100 years into the Mirror Universe's past. Much cooler than just recycling the cloaking effect!

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Mac-Ale

[142]Apr 2, 2007
    • level: 60
    I thought that if they were re-doing it, the Tholian ships could have built the web in a less symmetrical way, where they exactly copy each others motions in mirror reverse on the view screen. I was lukewarm on the green-glowing Defiant (not worse or better to me), and I thought the phaser hitting the Tholian ship was not very good-looking, the ship looked jerky and with limited motion.

ReclusiveWriter

[143]Apr 7, 2007

There's a bit of a problem, regarding my being able to see TOS-R.  Baseball is back! ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRGH!

It seems that it's ALWAYS butting in on Trek!

Why, you may ask, do I make such a big deal out of this? Simple. I HATE baseball!  Have, ever since I got hit in the head with a metal bat.

That said, "The Immunity Syndrome" will be waiting for awhile, because even though the game actually finished on time for once, some BONEhead ran "The Tholian Web" again!

Tronman100

[144]Apr 7, 2007
    • level: 11
    I share your pain. Ever since I was little I can't stand sports preempting my TV shows lol. I don't hate sports, just televised ones haha.

123home123

[145]Apr 29, 2007
    • level: 55
    I finally saw "I, Mudd" from the DVR recording. Not much different from the original except for the final shot as the Enterprise left orbit from the android planet. The ring system was impressive. The new shots of the Enterprise didn't add much to the episode. The story itself was a bit loony but that had nothing to do with the VFX.

ReclusiveWriter

[146]May 6, 2007

Tonight, Tomorrow is Yesterday!!!!!!

I'm hoping to see the slingshot effect in this, like on the 4th movie!!!

Mac-Ale

[147]May 6, 2007
    You've been away awhile...

"Tomorrow is Yesterday" is one of the better re-mastered episodes, the slingshot effect is mostly close-ups next to the sun. Also, the episode features some awkward new scenes of the Enterprise in Earth low orbit with some cheezy CGI clouds. Better if they had let that lie, IMO...

ReclusiveWriter

[148]May 8, 2007

Actually, Mac-Ale, I haven't seen any for awhile because of baseball/football/NASCAR always getting in my way.

As for the scenes of Enterprise in Earth's atmosphere, the clouds looked more real to me than on the old version, and I liked the way the ship was wobbling. Looked like Scotty really was holding it on course manually IMHO.  And I thought that seeing the slingshot was much better than stock footage and descriptions of where they were and what was going on.

Next up - Errand of Mercy!  And according to www.startrek.com, we actually get to see some Klingon ships in this version!!!!

123home123

[149]May 15, 2007
    • level: 55
    I have to admit that I've lost a lot of interest in the remastered series. Maybe it's all the extra cuts for commercials but I'm not finding the stories to be as compelling as when I first saw them 20 years ago. Yeah, I know, it's part of growing up and changing over the years, but I thought I'd still like the show.

Well, I do still like the show, but it's something that I don't need to see every year anymore. Maybe one marathon every 3 years or so for me. Or maybe the episodes will play better in their uncut versions on the DVDs, whenever those are released. I'm STILL disappointed in how "The Doomsday Machine" turned out. Those battle scenes were kind of embarrassing.

ReclusiveWriter

[150]May 20, 2007

Sorry you feel that way.   I LOVED the Remastered Doomsday Machine, as it was FINALLY done in 3 dimensions, and not by cheap plastic models on sticks.

I guess it's a matter of taste.

alanr4447

[151]Jun 1, 2007
    • level: 3
    It was wonderful to actually see the familiar Klingon ships in "Errand of Mercy". It shows that they are no longer limited by past constraints -- there not having been a design for a Klingon ship when the episode was first produced. The new views were much better than the little "lumps" of a Klingon ship in the remastered "Friday's Child"!

The final shot of "All Our Yesterdays", showing the star going nova and destroying the planet Sarpeidon, was quite impressive, although the planet's destruction looked rather like a pile of dust being blown away by a breeze. I did like the way the original version showed the planet "flaring up", as I think is more like it would actually be in the face of the energy of a nova -- to say nothing of the planet itself, which might be supposed to have a molten core, like earth, leading to a more feiry finish.

As I once said elsewhere, I'll be interested to see how they handle "The Enterprise Incident", as they would no longer HAVE to use Klingon ships as Romulan, with a lame explanation that Romulans were now using the same design. With all the extensive cutting of the episodes, they could easily cut those few lines of dialogue that address that sameness. And even for the 'uncut' DVD, they could cut those lines, justified as part of the "remastering", and make up for the lost time with longer shots of the ships.

Morbo loves tribbles...especially with Hollandaise sauce!

alanr4447

[152]Jun 1, 2007
    Mac-Ale, I guess McGarrett once again foiled your plans, but as always, you managed to escape his clutches, to hatch an even bigger scheme next time....
    Edited on 06/01/2007 5:16am

Mac-Ale

[153]Jun 2, 2007
    "The Enterprise Incident" may have been an artifact of money saving but it did lead to the idea of the Klingon/Romulan alliance that is important to the whole franchise.

While I continue to believe that the substituted Enterprise shots are inferior to a real model, the edits are still the most annoying. In "Patterns of Force", so much was edited out that the viewer has no idea that McCoy is beaming down, he just appears in the closet after a huge hack of scenes and dialog.

MrBovineOrdure

[154]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 6

Bread & Circuses just aired here. Not much in the way of new effects, then again, it was a pretty effects-light episode. They didn't do such a bad job of editing out things for comercials. Not like Piece of the action where the cuts into the dialog were painful.

I wasn't very disappointed in "The Doomsday machine" They said they weren't going to mess with the original concepts and they kept their word. I've always wanted to see the shuttlecraft leaving the Enterprise from outside and they filled that bill quite nicely. They also got the scale right on this show. That was something that always bothered me in that the shuttle was the same size as the Constellation in comparison to the Doomsday machine..

I'd think that in the Enterprise Incident, they'll just leave the Klingon cruisers in as again, they made promises not to mess with the original concept of the show. I'm good with that.

On the whole I like the effort, but to me it's a "See-once" type of thing. I shelled out the cash to get the original DVD set and won't be willing to shell out for a Blue-ray version of this new one.

Mr BO

alex20020712

[155]Jun 3, 2007
    • level: 7
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:
    I shelled out the cash to get the original DVD set and won't be willing to shell out for a Blue-ray version of this new one.

I want to get it for the much higher quality of a cleaned-up edition, not the new effects.

alanr4447

[156]Jun 4, 2007
    [QUOTE="MrBovineOrdure"]

I'd think that in the Enterprise Incident, they'll just leave the Klingon cruisers in as again, they made promises not to mess with the original concept of the show. I'm good with that.

QUOTE]

What sort of 'concept' was this? Let's not bother to use a different model for a Romulan ship from what we use for a Klingon ship? You can still make later allusions to a Romulan-Klingon alliance, without having to support it with a blatant show of cheapness. Anyway, if they can improve "Errand of Mercy" with actual views of Klingon ships, they oughtta be allowed to fix an obvious gaffe like those 'Klingon' Romulan ships.

"Intelligence reports Romulans now using Klingon design." Jeez, how convenient!

MrBovineOrdure

[157]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 6

Well, I can agree, they could take this opportunity to insert new ships, and at the rate they've been cutting dialog for commercials, they can snip that line but....

Though the reason for using Klingon ships may have been a desire to save some money (Remember TOS ran around $400,000 dollars per episode backin the late 60s which was a pretty hefty pile of money) I didn't see it as an act of cheapness. (At least not in the sence that Frank Zappa sang about on his album Roxy & Elsewhere http://www.oldielyrics.com/lyrics/frank_zappa/cheepnis.html )

After all, it's not unusal for nations to sell each other military hardware to other nations to fight what they consider a common foe. The US, The (former) USSR, and China lead the world in weapons sales including friggates, submarines, and a huge array of all kinds of weapons. We've got more than a squadron of UK Harrier jump jets.

There are so many instances of very thin storyline-reasoning written in TOS (That always seemed to have an explanation when listening to the creators in their articles and convention speeches) that this one didn't seem all that egregious to me.

Mr BO

alanr4447

[158]Jun 4, 2007

Cheapness has many forms. It is boundless. There are numerous instances where the remastered versions rectify the cheap practices of the past. "Errand of Mercy" is a prime example. "The Doomsday Machine". I could go on, but that would require effort.

Anyway, I'd like to someday see the remastered treatment of "The Deadly Years", with its climactic confrontation with Romulans -- this time, not merely re-used footage from "Balance of Terror"!

re. "Patterns of Force", I miss Spock's recitation of historical power-hungry humans, capped by the most notorious Lee Kuan (later reiterated by Garth in "Whom Gods Destroy")...

Edited on 06/04/2007 6:12am

Mac-Ale

[159]Jun 4, 2007
    I don't even see the changes as rectifying much...oftern times, the new effects clash with the production values of the original, especially in the case of planet surfaces shot on soundstages.

But maybe that's me...I got tired of Trek canon and continuity a while ago and would rather concentrate on the value of the episodes as good or weak one hour stories.

alanr4447

[160]Jun 4, 2007

Mac-Ale wrote:

often times, the new effects clash with the production values of the original, especially in the case of planet surfaces shot on soundstages.

Too true! Not to mention the 'antiquated' ship controls and interiors and flannel uniforms and retro 1960's fashions!

But still...re-used footage, backdrops and models are the sort of things they can effectively address. Re-used props, not so much so (like that round-back 'control desk' from "Return of the Archons" that popped up again in "I, Mudd" and "Whom Gods Destroy", or the 'head' of Nomad that became part of the Romulan cloaking device, when combined with Sargon's sphere and one of the casing rods used by the Andromedan invaders).

Edited on 06/04/2007 4:54pm