Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

The 'New' Original Star Trek

I think the overhaul of the original Star Trek is . . .

Mac-Ale

[161]Jun 4, 2007
    • level: 60
    That's all part of the charm that is missing with these re-do's. Its fascinating to look at 60s special effects, I actually like the matte paintings, the psychadelic optical effects of the pink "edge of the universe" and the crazy LSD center of the planet-eater. The original bridge may look dated, but it's an excellent set with an efficient and cozy layout. Why make these shows look like the movies? In many cases, some first season eps are more clever and thought-provoking than the entire glittery Star Trek movie run...
    You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

alanr4447

[162]Jun 5, 2007
    • level: 3

One area where the original effects could be rather annoying was shots of the Enterprise in space, where it tended to move in very 'cumbersome' fashion; for instance, when they were returning to their own time at the end of "Tomorrow is Yesterday". On such occasions, the ship was supposed to be traveling at fantastic speeds, but LOOKED more like it was stuck in molasses.

And whaddaya know, shots of the ship in space has been the main focus of the 'remastering'!

Though as it happens, I think one of the biggest failings of the new space shots has been that the ship is too poorly LIT! It may be more 'realistic', but it just doesn't look as GOOD. Would it be so awful to pretend that the ship is better lit? Actually, I get the impression that some of the more recent episodes have addressed this.

Edited on 06/05/2007 1:53am
    Edited 2 total times.

Mac-Ale

[163]Jun 5, 2007
    That's true, the space shots didn't benefit from the moving camera/blue screen approach. But the model looked great around planets, and without the annoying "dieseling" sound made by "The Next Generation" Enterprise in orbit.

alanr4447

[164]Jun 16, 2007
    Hey, what happened?? Why are we back to level 1?!?

Tronman100

[165]Jun 16, 2007
    • level: 11

alanr4447 wrote:
    Hey, what happened?? Why are we back to level 1?!?

I have no idea....I thought it was just me!

edit....apparently it's just a temporary glitch and should be back later, there are some posts about it on the general boards. Blah TVTome never had stupid levels.

Edited on 06/16/2007 7:52am

koberfan

[166]Jul 15, 2007
    • level: 28
    I just hate to see anyone mess with a classic...............

sporkman5353

[167]Jul 28, 2007
    • level: 18

koberfan wrote:
    I just hate to see anyone mess with a classic...............

it wasn't messing just making it so you couldn't see the hoaky ropes on the ships

123home123

[168]Aug 26, 2007
    • level: 55
    The studio seems to like the "Wink of an Eye" episode. They air it almost every month, it seems. Not that I'm complaining. Though the story doesn't really make much sense (how could the Scalosians use the turbolifts if they move much faster than in normal time?), Deela's (Kathie Browne) costume is quite nice. If a sci-fi story is dumb and there isn't a great deal of character development, at least it's good to watch a beautiful woman in a revealing costume for an hour.

The phaser effects were pretty cool, a nice improvement on the original effects. Other than that, there weren't too many changes from the original version. (Maybe there was a replacement for a matte painting but I missed that part today.)

This was the first episode I've watched from the Special Edition series in a few months. One change between the original series and the Next Generation that I keep noticing is the costumes. One can't overestimate the power of the miniskirts for the original show's popularity, especially among male sci-fi fans. That's why I always thought it was disappointing that TNG had those boring pantsuits, for men and women.

tomswift2002

[169]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 9
    antdude wrote:
    jackvancouver wrote:
    The best part... IT'S HIGH-DEF!!!
    It's not going to be high definition right now due to lack of requirements.

Actually, CBS-Paramount has made High-Def copies of the show, but because most stations still have standard definition VTR's, the show is being broadcast in Standard and 1.33:1 (in Hi-Def, it will air in 1.37:1 format).

tomswift2002

[170]Sep 4, 2007
    • level: 9
    MrBovineOrdure wrote:

Though the reason for using Klingon ships may have been a desire to save some money (Remember TOS ran around $400,000 dollars per episode backin the late 60s which was a pretty hefty pile of money) I didn't see it as an act of cheapness. (At least not in the sence that Frank Zappa sang about on his album Roxy.

Actually, according to Herb Solow and Bob Justman, in their book Inside Star Trek, the budget for the first season was around $260,000, while season 2 dropped to $218,000, and season 3 dropped to around $175,000 per episode. When you compare those episode budget's to the budget for the Cage (which came in at around $600,000), $400,000 would've been a luxury budget for Star Trek.

ReclusiveWriter

[171]Sep 17, 2007
    • level: 13

For those who are interested, the Remastered TOS season 1 is coming out on HD-DVD/DVD this November. You can see the new versions in their entirety!

Just recently, we were treated to "The Galileo Seven". Naturally, there were some edits, but nothing extremely detrimental to the story.

The upgrade to the Murasaki 312 quasar were breathtaking, and the shots of the Galileo and the Columbus were much improved, with little to no stock footage of TOS of the bad shuttle fx remaining.

Next weekend, we have "The Conscience of the King". Not much to upgrade there, if you ask me, but it's one of my personal favorite episodes from TOS.

123home123

[172]Sep 18, 2007
    "The Galileo Seven" was the best Remastered episode yet in terms of the new additions. The special/visual effects were outstanding. At least the Murasaki distortion field was. The shot of the shuttle landing on the Enterprise looked a bit like a video game. I thought this was much more successful than the new version of "The Doomsday Machine."

I hadn't been following the "new" series so I wasn't sure if this was the first time the new version of "The Galileo Seven" aired.

The story itself was so-so. It was a little annoying how they tried to play up Spock's lack of understanding of human emotion. Spock was actually right about not having a burial ceremony. Even a human commander would have reached the same decision. Why risk having a ceremony if it means two or three of the shuttle crew might be killed?

As for the last scene, that doesn't make any sense to me. Why was Spock's action defined as desperate and emotional? You can easily argue that it was the "logical" thing to do. There was no point in conserving fuel if it just meant that the shuttle would continue to orbit the planet undetected. They would have run out after one orbit anyway. Their only hope was to get spotted by the Enterprise and burning the fuel was the only way to do that.

Despite the flawed writing, it's a fun episode if you can get over the heavy-handed human/Vulcan contrasts.
    Edited on 09/18/2007 9:32pm

M00N-CAT

[173]Oct 9, 2007
    • level: 7
    I think its good but not good in terms with cutting scenes and messing around with the flavour of the originial series.When i was watching A Peice Of The Action when they were in the room and kirk was trying to contact the enterprise when he was talking the words coming out of his mouth were not in synch with his mouth.

alanr4447

[174]Oct 21, 2007
    123Home123's criticisms of the story of "The Galileo Seven" are something I agree with wholeheartedly! I could also add that it was rather inane for the story to depict that Spock would assume that the planet natives would respond in a very "logical" way, which turned out to be wrong. Obviously, Star Fleet would have extensive documentation on likely behavior of "primitives", and it wouldn't be left up to commanders to formulate their own ideas from scratch instead of relying on existing literature. Logically, Spock would know what should normally be expected of the inhabitants.

And I don't think I CAN get over the "heavy-handed human/Vulcan contrasts"!

Gislef

[175]Oct 24, 2007
    • level: 101
    Well, it is a (mid to late) first-season episode, and I think it's intended to show that Spock isn't really familiar with group-human interactions. By "Gamesters of Triskelion" he's a lot more adept at being in command.

123home123

[176]Jun 16, 2008
    Hmm, it's been almost eight months since anyone posted on this thread. Are people still watching the remastered episodes? I set my DVR to record them automatically but I usually don't watch every one. If my DVR hard drive starts filling up, I'll delete some of the Star Trek episodes if they aren't one of the really good episodes.

I saw the episode with the space hippies on their search for "Eden." It was a pretty corny episode. Perhaps it played better back in the late 60s when hippies, free love and all that "Summer of Love" stuff was still novel and current. I guess it wouldn't sound right these days to say "That's so now!" as one of the characters did in the episode. See? I told you it was kind of corny.

my1sunshine

[177]Jun 16, 2008
    • level: 12

123home123 wrote:
    Hmm, it's been almost eight months since anyone posted on this thread. Are people still watching the remastered episodes? I set my DVR to record them automatically but I usually don't watch every one. If my DVR hard drive starts filling up, I'll delete some of the Star Trek episodes if they aren't one of the really good episodes. I saw the episode with the space hippies on their search for "Eden." It was a pretty corny episode. Perhaps it played better back in the late 60s when hippies, free love and all that "Summer of Love" stuff was still novel and current. I guess it wouldn't sound right these days to say "That's so now!" as one of the characters did in the episode. See? I told you it was kind of corny.

I think that's one of the problems that has always plauged Sci-fi shows using topical references and slang of the era when it takes place far in the future. Buck Rogers really suffered that problem, using cliches , references (disco), and slang from a man who came from 1987. But who knew at that time (1979) that everybody in the 80's would want to get as far away from the disco culture as they could? Likewise, the Hippie culture was all but dead a couple years into the seventies. That can kind of remove credibility from the storyline.

Honestly, I've seen snippettes from the remasters, but I refused to watch the episodes as a whole when they cut them all up. I actually like the concept of the new fx, because i always thought that a bad original effect could too easily take you out of the story. But as far as the dialouge and story, i'm too much a purist, and I hate cuts, so I have to wait until I can get the DVD's somehow to watch them.

LOL. I even put deleted scenes BACK into BSG episodes once they are released on DVD! Well, most of them.

123home123...thanks for reviving past threads. I've been a bit too lazy, but I was thinking of doing it myself. But thanks, really for helping with what I'm trying to do. I'd like to hear your take on the best/worst episode threads.

Edited on 06/16/2008 5:40am
    Edited 2 total times.

Mac-Ale

[178]Jun 16, 2008
    As a piece of storytelling, "The Way to Eden" is not as bad as many people make it out to be. Probably what is the worst are the songs and some scenes of crew members "grooving" to the music.

It's a nice story of protest and longing for a simpler life, it has some surprises as Spock identifies with the movement (as an intellectual) and breaks from Kirk's opinion, and the ending is classic for one hour drama - a message that the ideal is probably not achievable no matter how it seems to appear to those who seek it.

I like it much better than "The Tholian Web" which is just a pile of plot devices...fading universes, hostile aliens, a weird space sickness, and Spock and McCoy fighting over a something they should actually agree on

As far as the effects on "The Way to Eden", some outdoor scenes on Eden are replaced by digital matte paintings of very steep mountains and tress. I have yet to see an episode I thought was improved and still find mixing digital effects with late 60s soundstages and sets completely jarring.

redjacket3827

[179]Jun 26, 2008
    • level: 4

I for one am enjoying the remastered episodes. I was a kid when they were first in syndication, and I probably saw a handful. I did see all of the movies though.

So now there are just a few left (hard to believe it's been two years) and I will have seen all 79 episodes in their remastered format. I then plan to watch the TOS movies and then the new movie in 09...

revbucky

[180]Jul 17, 2008
    • level: 22
    It should be "fascinating."