Star Trek Forums

NBC (ended 1969)

The term "Number 1"

archangelwho

[1]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 18

This may have been asked already but does any one know why the term "Number 1" not used in TOS? At first I felt it was due to the relatinship of Kirk & Spock but no one else used it on the show.

You must be registered and logged in to post a message.

Stig14

[2]Mar 30, 2010
    • level: 56
    I thought that in "The Cage", Captain Pike called his first officer (played by Majel Barret) Number One.

archangelwho

[3]Mar 30, 2010

Stig14 wrote:
    I thought that in "The Cage", Captain Pike called his first officer (played by Majel Barret) Number One.

He did not it did not carry over that why the question. It was in The Cage then STNG but not TOS.

skeeter291

[4]Apr 3, 2010
    • level: 60
    I think the reason that it was never used in TOS was because Spock had more then one title. He was The Science Officer and First Officer. I guess it was however Kirk decided to introduce and/or call him. Also, it's the captain's choice. I've heard "First Mate", "Number 1", "First Officer" and just the rank of the officer holding the position. I think because Spock held more then one position was the reason for not using the "Number One" title.

Scott-

archangelwho

[5]Apr 6, 2010

skeeter291 wrote:
    I think the reason that it was never used in TOS was because Spock had more then one title. He was The Science Officer and First Officer. I guess it was however Kirk decided to introduce and/or call him. Also, it's the captain's choice. I've heard "First Mate", "Number 1", "First Officer" and just the rank of the officer holding the position. I think because Spock held more then one position was the reason for not using the "Number One" title.
    Scott-

That the best reason I have heard yet. Thanks.

Rod71

[6]Jun 1, 2010
    • level: 3
    NBC did not want that used at the time, since the second in command was a female.

Once the pilot was ditched, it was re-written and the character was renamed and recasted!!

halp123

[7]Jun 20, 2010
    • level: 9
    Rod71 wrote:
    NBC did not want that used at the time, since the second in command was a female.

Once the pilot was ditched, it was re-written and the character was renamed and recasted!!

I think the original poster wanted to know why Kirk never used it for Spock. As for NBC... it wasn't there call if Kirk could call Spock "Number 1"... it just didn't fit his character so it was never written that way.
    Edited on 06/20/2010 3:46am