Star Trek

Friday's Child

Aired Unknown Dec 01, 1967 on NBC

• They should have gone with Saturday instead.

Lacking a central focus and poorly put together, this "on the run" story is a bit of a muddled mess that is a fan favorite nonetheless for guest star Julie Newmar (more famous as Catwoman on ABC's Batman) and for its Spock, Kirk, McCoy richness.

Using the episode as a personal clearing house of ideas, writer . Fontana tosses in some McCoy backstory, a Klingon, a coup, an unwanted pregnancy, and a wild goose chase. Unlike Babel, where all the elements tie together in an exciting climax, here they tend to meander and become lost amidst random violence.

Unfortunately, the execution of the script does it no favors either. The first half, shot indoors, includes poorly lit and edited scenes that appear grainy, especially on modern televisions. The second half, shot on location at the Vasquez Rocks, has a better look, but curiously has some lighting issues of its own. Taken in totality, the results look like a rushed effort, a common truth that TOS usually disguises better.

Fortunately, Kelley, Nimoy, and Shatner are able to make something out of just about anything and here they give the story some wonderful moments that reward those who hang with it. Fontana's script invests in Kelley in particular, allowing him to carry the A story while Jimmy Doohan carries a B story aboard the ship in a refreshing change of pace from the usual Shatner/Nimoy vehicles. (The episode also sets itself apart with a new, full length musical score by Gerald Fried).

Still, Fontana and company are capable of much better, which is probably why this one, the third of the season to be shot, was originally hidden in the middle of the pack, being the 11th to air. (It actually features the first shot in Star Trek history to include all seven main TOS actors, if you accept George Takei's appearance on a viewscreen. Coincidentally, the last shot featuring the same seven actors together, coming twenty four years later in Star Trek VI, includes the same six actors in person and Takei on another viewscreen. Isn't symmetry a pretty thing?)

Remastered: Keeping it vanilla, the new version doesn't do much more than replace the shots of the Enterprise and the planet (originally a tinted version of Deneva from "Operation: Annihilate!") and keeps it simple at that, with the new Earth-like planet appearing more CGI than CBS Digital's usual efforts. The team does clean up some matte lines on the viewscreen in the opening, adds some detail to a chart Chekov uses for reference, redoes a Klingon ship seen from afar, and redoes some phaser shots at the end... though none of the shots are very fancy.

• McCoy gets stoned by the woman who's baby he botched the circumcision on

"Filler episode" fits very well. I'll certainly watch it if it were to come on, but it was very mediocre. Nice apology from Kirk to McCoy. "Bones, I shouldn't have chewed you out". Cute exchanges of dialog between McCoy and Eleen. The boomerang weapons were interesting. Scotty's role of taking over the bridge developed nicely. At least they got rid of the useless crewmen within the first five seconds of beaming down so we didn't have to wait for him to be killed later. There just isn't that much else to say about this one.
  • Kirk, Spock and McCoy visit a primitive planet to try to negotiate a mining treaty, but find that a Klingon is already on the planet, and soon become entangled in a power struggle. An average fare that feels like it should be a classic but somehow isn't..

"Friday's Child" is a reasonable but ultimately average mid-second season episode.

The episode features a classic redshirt killing in the opening teaser – he gets one line and draws his phaser before being killed off by the Capellan boomerang-dagger weapon. At least on this occasion Kirk and co. show remorse over the death!

I've already covered on my review for the first season episode "Errand of Mercy" how the Klingons look different in the original series to the big-screen movies and later TV spin-offs. I won't cover it again here as its old ground, but just to say, after the Klingons were at least given an interesting and slightly ethnic look in "Errand of Mercy", here the Klingon, Kras, looks far less impressive – just looking like an average person in an unusual costume.

Eleen is played by Julie Newmar – 'Batman's (first) Catwoman. She plays the part well looks really good, and is probably the best thing about this episode.

The first half of the story is very much about Kirk and co. trying to get used to the Capellan ways and customs, while trying to prove that Klingon Kras is up to no good.

I did feel some sections of the story were uneven and slightly jumpy – one moment Kirk is sentenced to a deadly duel for making physical contact with Ellen, but nothing comes of this and it is practically forgotten.

The story picks up as Kirk, Spock, McCoy and the heavily pregnant Eleen are pursued to the mountains – Vasquez Rocks in California once again being used for location work. I really like when the series has location work, as it really brings the story to life.

The second half of the episode is far better than the first half, with Kirk and Spock fashioning bow and arrows to defend themselves. This feels like it should be classic 'Star Trek' but somehow it doesn't quite come off as such.

...And that's my main feeling about the overall episode – it feels like it should be a classic, but for the most part comes off as average. Not bad, but not outstanding either.
    It is one of the 'Star Trek' episodes that I am less familiar with, and I plan to watch it again, to see if it does more for me the second time.
    I give it an average rating, but a high average rating, as it does have some good things going for it.
  • Tell Spook it's Friday!

the forcus of this epsiode of "Star Trek" is on Dr. MaCoy. He may no be one of my favorite "Star Trek" character, but he's a fun guy. He along with Kirk and spook landed on a plant run by a tribe that was also visited by a Kingon. In the first few minutes a Enterprise crew was dead and the reason of the landing party are about to died too, if not for a woman whose with child. I didn't like the title of the story, "Friday's child." I wish they would come up with a another tilte like "Tribual war" Now that's a title that sticks.
  • It's those pesky Kilingons, again ...

So, the Federation wants to establish a dilithium crystal mining treaty with the warlike inhabitants of the backwater planet Capella IV. Trouble is, the Klingons have got there first. So dodgy Klingon Kras does a deal with ambitious Capellan Maab to overthrown the incumbent Capellan ruler and cut the Federation out of the deal. Kirk, Spock and McCoy find themselves imprisoned along with the widow, Eleen, of the late ruler of the Capellans, who just happens to be heavy with child.

Of course, Kirk and entourage escape and take to the hills with the haughty and pregnant Eleen (splendidly played by tv Batman's Catwoman Julie Newmar) in tow, pursued by the Klingon and the Capellans. Eleen turns out to be more trouble than the Klingons and tries to betray our heroes at every turn. Finally, after McCoy slaps Eleen round the chops, she decides that he is the honorary father of her child, much to the amusement of Spock and Kirk ...

Overall, not a great episode but definitely elevated by the presence of the Klingons and the fabulous Julie Newmar ...