Star Trek

I, Mudd

Aired Unknown Nov 03, 1967 on NBC

7.9
  • An android takes control of the Enterprise, taking it to a planet where intergalactic conman Harry Mudd is stranded with thousands of androids, who cater to his every whim. A rather silly episode...

This episode marks the return of Mudd, first seen in the first season episode "Mudd's Women". Like that episode, "I, Mudd" isn't really one of my favourite episodes.

Although others will disagree, the best thing about the episode in my view is probably Mudd himself, well played by Roger C. Carmel. The character is an interesting one – they just never seemed to get the right story for him. I think with the right material he would have been excellent, but both of the Mudd episodes are rather sub par.

The episode is a comedy. Although Original 'Trek' was probably the best at comedy compared to its later spin-offs, some of it is rather cringe worthy.

Mudd's wife is probably the most amusing part of the episode, although is an extreme caricature and more like something out of '60s 'Batman' or suchlike.

Then there is the terrible moment when you think that Uhura has betrayed her crewmates; thank goodness it was all part of the plan. It really had me going for a minute.

The scenes as the crew set out to confuse the androids are very surreal; Only in Original 'Trek' would you see this sort of thing; the later spin-offs took themselves far too seriously to ever stray into such territory (but that's probably another debate for another page).

The climax of the story once again uses that old 'Star Trek' chestnut of out-thinking robots (or androids). By this point it had become a familiar plot, and was on the verge of being used too often.

If I was forced to pick a 'favourite' (if you can call it that) between the two Mudd episodes, I'd probably go for this one; simply because it has more going on, and a couple more moments of real interest.

Not much more to say on this one. At best it is a filler episode; either way it doesn't really rank as a favourite of mine.