Star Trek

Miri

Aired Unknown Oct 27, 1966 on NBC

7.8
  • Infected kids in space that don't get that they're dieing....zzzzzzzzzzz

3.5
    Yeah yeah....infected kids in space that don't get that they're dieing. But wait, they're OLDER than we are?! Uhm....that's just dumb. No better way to put it and no worse waste of time.

Word has it this episode was banned in the UK for 20 years.... You know, the British have always had better TASTE than us Americans!

The only fun part about this episode is the Miri vs Yeoman Rand stuff. And any episode with Yoeman Rand deserves at least a 3.... So the .5 is for the rest.

-S
  • Kirk and company become stranded on a planet where a medical experiment went very wrong.

Miri is Star Trek's first "medical drama" episode, and it's pretty good. The writing, by Adrian Spies, is fantastic. Kim Darby is great as the titular character. Kirk, Bones, and Spock are all among those trapped on the planet of the week, and that's always good because the three actors can elevate anything they do together. That said, the episode is probably more along the lines of "middle of the pack" than one of the best. (Maybe upper middle of the pack.) The children can be annoying (and Rand also) and the episode has a bit of a sluggish pace. Still, it's a pretty fun 50 minutes of Star Trek.
  • The Enterprise discovers a planet duplicate of early 1960s Earth, where the only inhabitants are children. Kirk and the landing party are stranded on the planet due to a disease which has wiped out the planet's elders. In some places, a chilling episode..

Here in the United Kingdom, this episode was famously absent from the BBC's (many) runs of the series for many years, due to it's content being deemed unsuitable for its timeslot. It was not broadcast on terrestrial television until it finally appeared in the early 1990s.

Anyway, this is another good first season episode of the classic series. It does indeed have its dark and chilling moments, such as the zombie-like diseased older children, and the scene of Captain Kirk being battered and beaten by the horde of children as a young girl watches and smiles.

One thing that is never fully addressed is the whole location in the first place – a duplicate of early 1960s Earth. Although the whole teaser revolves around it, by the time the landing party beam down, the plot about the only survivors being children takes over, and by the latter acts the whole duplicate Earth element is practically forgotten; it is never really explained.

Kim Darby gives a good performance of the young Miri of the title, although at times, just how close Kirk gets to her does feel slightly uncomfortable in my opinion. But even so, they make for some nice scenes.
    Michael J. Pollard, who plays Jahn, the 'leader' of the children, looks a bit too old compared to the rest of them, but gives a fair performance. Also mixed in with the youths are Gene Roddenberry's daughter, William Shatner's daughter, and Grace Lee Whitney's two sons.

Kirk very much saves the day by giving the children one of his famous 'Kirk speeches'. (These even continued into 'T.J. Hooker' in 1982!). If all else fails, get Kirk to make a speech!!

All-in-all, this is a good episode. However, I do feel that there is something lacking to make it a true series classic. But it still stands as a good one.

"No more blah blah blah" indeed!
  • "No more blah blah blah!"

The Enterprise encounters an unknown planet which is seemingly an exact duplicate of Earth from the 1960's, right down to the finest detail with one exception: The adults are all dead and children rule the streets after centuries of being alone and in fear of their once abusive adult leaders. Upon further investigation of the planet, the crew contract the very disease that wiped out the adult population and have only days to find a cure.

First of all, let's get the episode's rather absurd and completely useless premise out of the way, which only goes out of its way to hinder the story's credibility. The planet found in 'Miri' was an obvious production decision, albeit a rather clumsy one. My problem isn't just that an exact duplicate of Earth being found in our own galaxy is almost logically impossible (I'm surprised Spock didn't have a fit), it's that we get no explanation or discussion from the characters as to what the hell it's doing there. Furthermore, the whole concept doesn't even have anything to do with the plotline with the exception that it allows the inhabitants to be 'human', and so save money even more without having to design complex alien costumes (not that this stopped them later on). All in all, unnecessary and completely ridiculous, but something that I can overlook, mainly because it is so hardly referenced during the episode: a double-edged sword it would seem.

I must admit however, the change of scenery in 'Miri' is a nice one, and ironically, it did help to make the episode more tolerable than it would have been had it been a planet of rocks and sand (again). It adds a nice feeling of space and kills the claustrophobic atmosphere created by the endless hallways and tightly packed rooms of the Enterprise. Indeed, aesthetically, the entire episode is rather pleasing to both eye and ear, with the brilliant lighting and music working together on many occasions to help build the tension and drama conveyed throughout. Such things I would usually take as granted, but with 'Miri', they really caught my attention during specific scenes.

The main plotlines developed through the episode concern the 'virus' that kills humans once they reach puberty, and how the children have hence grown to be weary of those that carry it: the adults. I found the whole idea of the humans -300 years ago- developing a cure for aging quite plausible, although this is where the concept a duplicate Earth starts to make things even more unbelievable, concerning the fact that people from the year 1665 were scientifically coming up with ways to slow down aging. Ignoring that aspect however, I didn't have much trouble believing in the threat and thought the idea of the slowed down aging process to 120 times slower than normal was an interesting idea, even though it wasn't sufficiently detailed enough during the course of the episode.

As for the children themselves, well… yea, they're annoying as hell. Such dialogue as "nah nah, nah nah, nah" chanting through halls and "mr. lovey dovey! Bonk bonk on the head!" repeated over and over really doesn't progress things much further than showing that yes, these are children. In fact, I found that it often detracted from the seriousness of the situation and often contradicted the idea that the children were feeling scared or threatened by the adult's arrival as shown when the away team first find Miri who is genuinely terrified for her safety. Instead the pack of children is shown as aggressive, who –I guess you could suggest- are defending themselves with straight offence. I could come up with more reasons as to why such things weren't needed in 'Miri' but really when it comes down to it, it was just irritating.

As annoying as the kids were during the episode I cannot blame the actors for such things for they all deliver a perfectly believable performance, especially for young children. Most notable are Kim Darby and Michael J. Pollard who play Miri and Jahn respectably. Pollard really brings out a third dimension to his character, fleshing him brilliantly with his facial expressions and engagement with the stage and other actors. The scenes featuring the children also show some promise with the opening scene of the dying child clutching a bike and the incredibly dumb but humorous 'fight scene' involving a dying girl named Louise who jumps on Kirk for a piggy back ride before being shot. So between confusion and contentment with the episode, I was always quite amused with little moments like these and Kirk screaming 'No more blah blah blah!'.

One of the episode's most interesting and certainly original elements is the 'love triangle' that emerges from Kirk and his competing ladies, Miri and Yeoman Rand. Miri, the child whom has set it upon herself to help the crew find a cure, falls for Kirk when he comforts her in a way that is actually both totally familiar yet out of the ordinary for the captain. It seems almost that he treats her with a little more respect than the other women he encounters among the stars –more than likely because he has no intention of doing anything with her- which results in some touching and down to duplicate-Earth scenes. Both Darby and Shatner play off each other brilliantly and –more often than not- with suitable emotional display. I'd even go on the record and say that this is actually one of my favourites of the captain's relationships, not just because of his mannerisms but because it shows the natural good nature he has with children and develops his character accordingly. Yeoman Rand, who eventually confesses her personal desire for the captain's attention breaks down with the pressure of the virus which threatens her beauty and at the same time, at Kirk being overly friendly with Miri. It's a stark contrast and one well written into the plot showing the insecurity of a woman caused by the complete freedom and innocence about to be lost of a young teenager. As with most ideas, it could have been developed more but we do have is both interesting and insightful and certainly gives us a better glimpse into Rand as a character.

'Miri' is also a great 'trio' episode that showcases Kirk, Spock and McCoy working together both functionally and slightly dysfunctional under the strain of the virus. When things do turn sour towards the end of the episode, things are obviously very tense within the group but I couldn't help but feel it was a little too forced at times. I did however (as I always do), find Shatner's scenery munching to be more than entertaining, always keeping my full attention. I don't care what people say about this guy but I love his acting style, sure it's over the top and enthusiastic, but what's up with that? For a show like Trek that can sometimes be as dry as a cracker, Shatner really brought a great amount of ease into the show that sometimes I miss from the other series. However –and there's always a however- the scene involving Kirk comforting Miri on her contraction of the virus, was a little too enthusiastic and came off as cringe worthy.

The episode closes itself up with three small acts the first of which involves an attack by the children on Kirk that serves as both an assortment of stupid dialogue from the children and a very decent speech from the captain ragarding the morality of their attack. There are moments during this scene that amused me also, being the point where Kirk throws one of the children from a desk onto the floor, the before mentioned, 'No more blah blah blah!' and Kirk showing his wounds to the children and eventually winning them over as a result. The next scene involves McCoy testing his vaccine on himself unknowing of the results which could indeed kill him as Spock implied when stating –hilariously- that the cure could be a 'beaker full of death'. Kelley gives a great snippet of a performance here, bringing the episode's drama and tension to a fantastic climax where the trio are reunited together to see McCoy's sores disappear and the virus defeated. This important scene isn't just good for the episode but for McCoy's character in general, shaping him to be more than a whiney old doctor who disagrees with Spock a lot. Such acts and character traits are developed in other episodes such as in the season 3 episode 'The Empath' where McCoy similarly sacrifices himself for the sake of Spock and his captain.

Finally the crew are back on the enterprise where Kirk cracks a joke that actually made me laugh out loud! A rare thing usually, but nonetheless, it was in good taste and certainly a great way to close the episode and dissolve the tension from the previous 45 minutes. Overall, 'Miri' although based on a completely ridiculous premise, succeeds in all other areas, bringing out new sides of our main characters and an interesting plot that is developed at a perfect pace creating a good hour of TV.

8/10
  • "Captain...(stop giving all your attention to the adolescent and) look at my legs!"

Surprisingly to me, many fans seem to loathe this episode. I saw it again this morning and it is still a series classic in my opinion.

There are definitely some continuity errors, and they never address the correlation between the planet being identical to Earth and third from its sun, the 'earth-style SOS, and what this cloned evolution has to do with anything, etc.

However, there is something eerily creepy about all these sinister kids hiding out and spying on/lying in wait for the adults. The scene with "mad Louise" who has just hit puberty still freaks me out when they show the close-up of her face. I also like the dialogue that goes on between Kirk, Spock, and McCoy in their frustration to find a cure. When Spock says in response to a slightly jealous Yeoman Rand, "[that girl] is at least 300 years older than you," I still crack up. The ultimate line is a frustrated Kirk shouting, "No more 'blah, blah, blah!' " Between that and his turning on that hideous, fake charm again for another lady (doesn't matter that this time, she's barely a teenager)…ah, just doesn't get any better!
  • My favourite!

This excellent, and criminally-overlooked, episode stands out for me, and other British ST fans, because it was banned by the BBC for over 20 years, after being shown once in December 1970, and causing an uproar,with the BBC receiving many letters and phone calls of complaint. Funnily enough, the BBC showed it after nearly every other first season story had been screened.
    It stands out because it's one of the few eps of the original series which has a relativly original story idea. Most episodes, as great as they are, relied on tried, and tested, science-fiction themes and concepts.This story is a bit more original.
    Some great set-piece scenes, such as McCoy being attacked by one of the kids who has got the disease, Kirk being attacked by a girl called Louise, who is suffering from the full force of the illness, and, of course, the climactic scenes of the `Onlies' laying into Kirk.
    This is a great deal more interesting than boring eps like `Balance of Terror', yet it hardly ever gets a mention.
  • In "Miri" the "Star Trek" series takes on aging and the clash of age groups.

In "Miri" the "Star Trek" series takes on aging and the clash of age groups.

In this episode aging is seen as a disease to be cured by the crew and the dead inhabitants of an alien world. They tried to cure the disease by creating another. The experiment went wrong leaving the planet with no adults and children who age slowly. The remaining children fear grown-ups, a.k.a. "grumps."

Kirk gets a teen crush with an inhabitant. Thus the dashing Captain continues his string of dalliances with alien women.

The story is a bit drawn out and the science is lacking. More of the latter would have fleshed out the episode more.

In all it is a fair episode and worth viewing. At a minimum the viewer will leave aware of the origin of the cult term, "grump."
  • Children of the Corn

I didn't care much about this episode of "Star Trek." Kirk, Mccoy and spook had beamed to a planet which is run by children. They found a virus that is killing adults and leave kids stranded to rulke by themselves. I didn't care much about the children. I don't care about the overacting from the cast. this isn't my favorite episode. You have to overact in order to get a cure. and ontop of everything the kids stole their communicate devices? They aren't mean, they don't know anything. I like Miri. She's they only thing I liked from this episode.
  • McCoy steals a kid’s tricycle

Here I go again with my comparison of when I watched the shows in the 1970s vs. the 2000s. I believe I always turned the channel when this one was on back then. I found it unsettling to watch the scabs grow on everyone and I guess that is my own squeamish behavior that painted this episode as bad as I did. However in my adulthood, I appreciated it so much more. Still not one of my favorites, but the story line made much more sense. And knowing a little bit more about women, made the scene where Yeoman Rand got so emotional about her legs easier to understand.
  • Upon discovering a parallel Earth, where all the adults have been dead for centuries and children rule the world, the Enterprise landing party is exposed to a terminal disease that will kill them within a week!

This episode has always been a personal favorite of mine.
    Upon finding a planet that is an exact copy of Earth (though I've always wondered if that includes the entire solar system (all 9 (YES, 9!) planets)?), a landing party consisting of Kirk, Spock, McCoy, Rand, and a few redshirts finds the planet to be in ruins, overrun by wild children who call themselves Onlies (as they are the Only ones left), and are terrified of Grups (grown-ups). They find an ally in a young girl named Miri (played by Shatner's old friend Kim Darby) who gives them a child's tutorial on the planet's situation, which leads to the discovery of the lethal plague that killed the planet's adults centuries ago, and left the children in a state of perpetual youth, except that they all die upon reaching puberty (I guess adolescence isn't such a great thing!). With only a week to live, McCoy and Spock frantically work to find a cure for the plague, but things go from bad to worse when Janice Rand is kidnapped by the leader of the Onlies, who also steals the landing party's communicators, cutting them off from the Enterprise. Kirk appeals to them as the clock runs out, and manages to convince them to do the right thing, after sustaining a lot of bruises. McCoy nearly dies after testing the vaccine, which knocks him out but cures him. The Federation makes plans to assist the children as the Enterprise leaves.

Grace Lee Whitney gives a great performance in this episode, as a main character instead of a supporting player, revealing her attraction to Kirk. The children of various cast members also played the younger Onlies without dialogue, including Shatner's daughter, Gene Roddenberry's children, and Grace Whitney's boys. Sadly, this was one of the last episodes that Whitney appeared in. Her character was written out of the show, to free up Kirk for all that alien booty. If you haven't heard of Grace's battle with narcotics, this isn't the appropriate forum, but hers is a story that shows even those who hit rock-bottom can make a comeback. She revived her role as Janice in ST:TMP, and ST: VI, and also seen in ST3:TSFS, and ST4:TVH. In 1996, she again played Janice on Star Trek: Voyager's 30th Anniversary episode, "Flashback", and is currently involved in an independent Trek production starring several of her former TOS actors, George Takei, Walter Koenig, and Nichelle Nichols, called "Star Trek: Of Gods and Men". It is a 3-part miniseries that will be released online, as a gift from the Trek actors to the fans, for their four decades of loyalty. I, for one, am excited to see it, and am glad that the Trek actors are making something on their own, without having to conform to whatever the stuffed suits in Hollywood think. Happy 40th Anniversary, Star Trek!
  • A \"disease-from-outer-space\" episode

This episode at least fulfilled the studio execs' hunger for stories based on alien planets, though for budgetary reasons, this one looked quite like 20th Century Earth.

The plot has all the elements needed for a taut STAR TREK adventure - the crew in peril, on a planet without commincators and a ticking clock counting down to disaster.

It's not a bad epsiode for all that, but it does lack something and consequently, is not one of my favourites. However, in its favour, it does have the pretty Kim Darby and the always enjoyable Michael J Pollard as guest stars. And Janice Rand gets some meaty scenes, a crew member I always felt was under-used.

Interestingly, when the BBC re-ran STAR TEK in the early 1970s, this was one of three episodes that they "banned" - presumably because the idea of children doing violence might offend some viewers. How times have changed ...
  • Planet Of The Brats

This somewhat lackluster episode explores the idea of immortality and eternal youth ala Peter Pan, when the Enterprise comes upon a planet (actually a Rand McNally globe) that just happens to appear identical to Earth.
    Upon transporting down, the landing party encounters a wild, screaming humanoid that quickly dies, apparently by the virus whose lesions are all over the body. They then encounter a group of children that were kicked off every other series for being so annoying. No, scratch that last sentence. Any way, turns out the kiddos that call themselves "onlies" pass on the virus to the "grups" like Kirk, and they have to find a cure before they wind up like all the other "grups," dead. Along the way we are made to endure lines like "bonk, bonk on the head" and "no more blah blah" and we all wish that it was the brats and not the Enterprise crew taking the long dirt nap.
WZME