Star Trek

Patterns of Force

Aired Unknown Feb 16, 1968 on NBC

• Nazis in space? Puhlease!

After the low point of "A Piece of the Action", in which Kirk and Spock got to dress up as gangsters and pretend to be Damian Runyon characters, which resulted in an episode that was just plain terrible, the STAR TREK producers offered us this chunk of crip. This time, Kirk and Spock get to dress up in WW2 Nazi uniforms and make some trite observations about how making the trains run on time doesn't justify genocide.

This results in an episode that isn't just terrible, it's also offensive in the way it trivialises the holocaust while thinking it's making some kind of worthwhile social comment.

This is the absolute nadir of the STAR TREK series, no question ...
  • Kirk, Spock and McCoy dress up as Nazis..... in a cloak room!

7.3
    The lesson in the end that John Gill learned is fascinating. I was reading that Shatner and Nimoy had some difficulty in shooting this one because they were both Jewish. That is quite interesting and I felt like I had learned something about putting myself in someone's shoes. The emotional scenes where they are drugging Gill to come out of it worked very well backed with the dramatic music we have all learned to love and enjoy. The episode was not quite as well as "Bread and Circuses" where we visit the Romans, but I still thought it held up pretty well.
  • An episode which leaves you more thoughtful than others of the series

This episode is the last of the series I was able to watch, due to the fact that it was never shown on TV here in Germany, and it left me rather thoughtful because I had the distinct feeling of "Was this really necessary?" I always thought it very unlikely that any society in the universe should come up with a similar insane idea of ruling a country like the Nazis did, and the (too obvious)similarities shown in this episode with uniforms and stuff marred my enjoying of it, so that I came to thinking that it wasn´t an altogether bad idea not to show this episode on TV here in Germany. From all the other episodes showing similarities to earth-based societies, this is clearly the weakest, but the important lesson that we have to learn from history in order to prevent similar dreadful things from happening which is pointed out in this episode leaves a strong impression behind and makes it absolutely worth watching.
  • Kirk discovers a planet controlled by a Nazi movement.

Invariably, if you talk about the evils of Nazi Germany, you talk about Adolf Hitler This episode uses a good sci fi premise to take Hitler out of the equation and ask the tougher questions about why a Nazi sort of government is created and how it can be accepted by regular people. For these issues to be addressed in a television show so soon after it actually happened is amazing. That said, the episode isn't very ambitious and much of the episode is fairly predictable. All in all, it's a solid episode that would be rather forgettable if it were not for the unique subject matter.
  • Kirk and Spock search for a missing historian, and find he has 'contaminated' a planet, making it a near duplicate of Germany ruled by a Nazi regime. Once again, many didn't like it, but I thought it was a good episode...

A few episodes ago we had "A Piece of the Action", which was an excuse for the show to play gangsters. Here, we get one set in Nazi Germany; it seems to be another cliché of the series of "which genre can we use this week?". There are also other examples, with Roman society, etc. However, while not a complete series classic, I did enjoy this episode.

The story seems more thoughtful, in the vein of the first season, compared to some of the offerings seen in the second season. I felt that more depth could have been given as to just how the planet became so similar to Nazi culture, but there was still more depth to it than some of the more recent stories to play before this one.

Personally I find the story to be a good one. I like the escape from the prison cell (even if it is slightly far fetched), and like how the story unfolds, explaining just why this alien culture has become to Nazi-like.

I've heard some people comment that this episode exploits the source material; I'm not sure I agree. Couldn't the same be said for 75% of war films and whatnot? Yes, it is entertainment, but so are many of those old war movies, and I'm not sure that many of them have any more a serious point to make than this episode.

Maybe this episode suffers from being shown close to "A Piece of the Action", as they are both excuses for the series to play with different time period genres. But I do find "Patterns of Force" a very interesting and exciting episode, and would rank it as one of the better of the second season.
  • Kirk's Heroes

Captain Kirk and the crew of the Starship Enterprise comes upon a plant that is ruled by Nazis. Seens like a good idea and I like this epiosde, but it could've been better. A planet in the middle of nowhere which follows the patterns of Nazi Germany? A good ideal for a episode which may taught us about not repeating the past. a few weeks ago, the crew come upon a planet which is run by the 1920's mob and now a plant wich is run by 1930's Nazis. One of the reason why i like "Star Trek." I comes up with some new every eposode.
  • A Nazi episode? Why??

This is basically a story that validates the prime directive, by showing what can happen when it is disobeyed. On that level, it succeeds; the basic theme is solid, the plot holds together well, and the story flows. The characters are sufficiently well-drawn to evoke sympathy.

Nevertheless, I marked the episode down because I felt the use of the Nazi symbology was odious. Certainly it would be harder to find a more evil setting for the story, but it seems that anyone smart enough to become a history instructor at Starfleet Academy, and later to be permitted to study an alien culture from the inside, would not make the mistake of attempting to recreate such a savage civilization. Certainly anyone can make a mistake, but experts shouldn't make mistakes of this caliber, and John Gill was presented as an expert.
WZME