Star Trek

Return to Tomorrow

Aired Unknown Feb 09, 1968 on NBC

7.7
  • Kirk, Spock and a female crewmember are approached by a powerful, body-less alien being, who wants to borrow their bodies so that he and two others of his kind may construct android bodies to inhabit. An episode that was much better than I expected...

This is another one of those episodes that I went into not expecting very much from, but to my pleasant surprise it turned out be a very enjoyable story.
    I am surprised that the episode is not rated very high, as in my opinion it is one of the far better episodes down the latter end of the second season.

I find the title to be rather misleading and generic – "Return to Tomorrow" makes it sound like a time-travel episode to me, and I don't think it suits the episode all that well.

Anyway, the story itself is relatively simple but a good one. I think they were right to not cram too much in, and instead concentrate on the interesting plight of Sargon, who wants to create an android body to inhabit.

There is a strange moment as Kirk prepares to beam down to the planet, when he says that he doesn't want to risk Spock beaming down too in case the ship needs him. This is fine and perfectly logical – except that both Kirk and Spock (and McCoy) both beam down in 99% of stories anyway!

Dr. Anne Mulhall in many ways comes across as the 'token female crewmember' of the week. There have been a number of such characters before in various episodes, and there would be again. That said, Diana Muldaur plays the part very well, and succeeds in making Mulhall seem familiar and not just a one-off character.
    (Diana Muldaur, of course, would go on to play Dr. Katherine Pulaski in the second season of 'Star Trek: The Next Generation'.)

Unlike some other reviewers, I didn't particularly find this story to be a rehash of earlier ideas. I really enjoyed how the story unfolded; I knew that something in Sargon's plan would go bad, but enjoyed finding out what exactly.

All-in-all, I found this an enjoyable and interesting story, and am surprised more people don't like it. It is certainly one of the better instalments from this end of the second season.