Star Trek

NBC (ended 1969)

Gislef

Star Trek Fan Reviews (95)

• A new TV series is due

A new Star Trek TV series is due. It's PAST-due. Get Wil Wheaton to reprise his role as Wesley Crusher and, with whatever excuses are deemed necessary, have him had already gone back to the Academy. He is now captain of his own ship, a deep space explorer vessel, and is seeking new lifeforms, etc . . .

Make it happen!!
  • Folks, nothing can beat the original show.

Ok, so some of the special effects were really cheesy. But the plots had real drama in them, the acting, the eerie musical scores, even the love stories... all were extremely memorable. Aliens were not just cardboard cutout variations on a theme, all looking like actors wearing bad masks. Such contrivances were not needed. When the crew landed on a spooky planet and a strange creature with glowing eyes materialized in the fog and summoned them, a chill ran down your spine that you would not soon forget... Here we had some truly strange-looking beings that could be frightening, both in their appearance and in the powers they had... There were talking rock creatures, witches with powers of transmutation, rogue drones, vampire clouds, even a shootout at the OK Corral, mandated by a bizarre race of telepaths. Much historical and mythological material was often drawn upon, and at various times the crew encountered ancient Greek gods, Roman emperors, American Indians, hippies, mobsters, and even Abraham Lincoln... Sometimes you giggled a bit at the inevitable anachronisms. But you were never bored for a minute, and the sense of unfettered imagination and wonder, so lacking in today's rather sterile productions, was ever present.
  • Special Effects!

I loved the original Star Trek, apart from some of the AWFUL and obviously low-budget, special effects. Some of them were pretty cool, but the white rubber killer chicken in one is a joke to this day. I loved the interaction, most of the stories were very new and fresh, as AuntSueNihgCh stated, and the idea of Russians and Americans getting along, as well as the original . (in science fiction, not My Favorite Martian) was amazing. It WAS a different age, a new and original show, and it will live on as a cultural icon.
  • A Different Age

It's none too hard to understand why the young adults of today see Star Trek TNG as a boring, dated show. Their lives have been filled with special effects and little in the way of plot or character development. They never lived in a time when women were seen as homemakers or nuns and very little else. They never knew an age where blacks and whites were separate.

Trek was only a decade past the "step 'n fetch it" boys of the early cinema. Blacks were not seen on television shows, and neither were orientals. To have women, blacks and orientals in positions of responsibilities was revolutionary. To have war be a thing of the past was almost too good to be true. The idea that we could find excitement in traveling the stars and finding new civilizations and making friends was a thing of Science Fiction.

We were in the era of the Cold War. Building bomb shelters and practicing for air raids. Time and again we'd come to the brink of war and we were all terrified. The only bright spark on our horizon was the space program and here comes a show that told us just how far we could go with that program. We needed the good news that Star Trek brought.

I'm sorry if kids of today think of it as boring but they miss the point. This is a show to tell you what 1967 thought the future held. the future held. It's a way to look into the past and feel a different era. Well worth watching, Star Trek still holds fascination for me. It was the first time that a black kissed a white. The first time an alien was shown as equal to a human. The first time that diversity was considered a positive thing. I think we still have things we can learn from that old show.
  • Star trek chat

Hi I love all things star trek so much so I have my own page on facebook where Trekkie fans from all over the world get together to chat share fab pics and basically worship star trek please come check it out http://www.facebook.com/StarTrekChat
  • A Golden Oldie.

I liked this show when I was a kid but as I got older it started to wear thin. I find that some episodes are quite good, usually when time travel was involved & an equal number of episodes are in fact quite horrid and are actually unwatchable. I understand Trekkies, but I don't consider myself one....I still watch the show from time to time, but the episodes that I thought were 50/50 a decade ago I find I can't watch these days. It had its time.
  • This show is the greatest since... I don't know, but it's the greatest!

This show is the greatest... oh wait, I'm repeating what I've already said. Anyway the greatest characters in the world are in this show. There's Spock (my favorite), Captain James T. Kirk, Dr. Leonard McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Uhura, and Chekov. Spock is a Vulcan from the planet Vulcan... It's true. Kirk is the only one to ever pass the Kobayashi Maru test, even though he did it by cheating. Dr. McCoy is the greatest Doctor ever. Scotty the best engineer ever. Uhura is the best communications officer ever... I know I don't really have anything great to say about some of these characters, so just bare with me. Now Sulu and Chekov... I guess I could say that they are the best navigators ever. Anyway enjoy the show.
  • A Cultural Icon

What can we say about Start Trek that hasn't been said already? Probably not much! The series was a trailblazer, paving the way for many of other space travel shows and several very successful spin off series (affectionately known as TNG, Star Trek Voyager, Deep Space Nine, Enterprise, etc.).

The charm and appeal of the series lies not in its story lines or special effects, but in its characters. Kirk and Spoke have become cultural icons in our generation. And who hasn't heard the phrase "Beam me up, Scotty." Add to this the interaction between the characters (the friendly bantering of Spoke and Dr. McCoy, for example) and you have a great show.

I have the entire series on DVD and enjoy watching it to this day. A true classic!
  • Hello there I have wrote bad things about reality shows and this show is bad than any of that. Star Heck is boring to me,they talk like they are animetronic or something,and a slow dredful story line.Mixed with bad actors it makes a church sermon l

1.1
    Star Trek what are you a geeks dream or a nightmare for the real world?!Like I said story line is bad -2 points slow and painful acting -5 points.Bad actors -2 points what saves this show it has a stupid fan base wraped around It's itty bitty slime fingers!All and all it is a bad show full of dumb stupid stuff! Come on watch something better like Star Wars,it has a better story line! Show Simon out!
  • Yuk !

1.4
    It took me all of five minutes to watch this show. Star Wars really ruined for me as far as watching this show. It looked like a failed \\\\\\\"B\\\\\\\" movie. I mean c\\\\\\\'mon, how am I supposed to believe that the movement are actually talking place while watching a buncha people leaning from one side to another as if their ship is moving so fast they gotta hold on ?
    Gimme a break! (that\\\\\\\'s another show that sucked)
  • THE MOST BORING SHOW EVER.WHATS SO INTERESTING ABOUT IT?

1.1
    Why would you wnat to sit around all day and watch the most boring,not even the slitest funny or interesting program is beyond me. What's so great about weird looking people walking around on a spaceship all day complaining about this that and the other.If you ask me i don't see why the show was made in the first place.Could somebody please tell me whats so interesting about this show ?
  • HAH!!!!! YOU NERDS!!! How old are you guys..50 somthin dont you have something better to do with your lives beside watch some dude named SPAk or whatevr

This show is boring & discusting....
    I have seen commercials & they make me want to puke.
    For all those teens who are my age who watch this show, maybe you would have more friends if you watched whows that normal kids watch..like Laguan Beach, Smallville, The OC, etc....
    But no for some reason you just have to watch a boring tv show with a bunch of old guys who are old....yuk!
    And I am not some imature ditzy headed teenager who is completely shallow....I am intelligent & yes you can have an intelligent conversaion talking about the teen anx drama on Laguan Beach. So dont go thinkn that I am some popular, shallow, naive PREP...cus i am NOT!!!
  • Classic stuff.

I am not a big a fan of the original series as others but I have to admit that it had some of the best storylines and was really good at looking at the deeper meaning of things. Action was at a minimal during these times of limited graphics and animation. For what they had to work with around this time, I'd say they did a good job of making everything seem futuristic. I thought that the show had some good acting, good writing, and some nice lessons that could be applied to today's world. Overall, a decent show that is a classic. Thank you.
  • Captain James Kirk leads the starship Enterprise and its crew on an exploration of the galaxy and more.

As I have said in previous reviews, "Star Trek" is in my mind the greatest science fiction television series ever made. From it's very well written scripts, to it's compelling adventures and it's top rate cast, there are numerous reasons why this show has enjoyed an enduring popularity over the years. It's almost surprising to know that "Star Trek" did not have an immediaite impact with television audiences. During it's original run, the series never climed higher than 52 in the Nielsen Ratings. All I can say is thank goodness for syndication. A voyage that has been worth the ride.
  • In the 60's Sci-fi was funky!

Space the final Frontier!
    Watching the original Star Trek series after watching Voyager or The Next Generation (later seasons obviously)

Your going to find Star Trek delightfully absurd,corny and funky, just listen to the Opening theme!

A nice and enjoyable old 60's telivision show, and like many good shows, never went past a few seasons.
    the effects maybe corny and the acting exagerated.
    but the show has allot of morals and philosophical themes,
    This is a series i would advise to own on a DVD box set, i myself intend to.

And i prefer the old special effects, but since the remastered DVD's have the original format as well, i see no reason not to get the best of both versions.
    If you have a TV service that includes Star Trek i advise you watch it, if your a fan of the new Star Trek or old Sci-fi you should love this show.
    I miss the days when it was on TV1 on the PayTV subscription service.
  • A generation of future scientists owe there careers to this show!

The original Star Trek was a quantum leap forward in televised science fiction for it's era. Before Star Trek, most of what passed as science fiction on television was silly and pathetic beyond words. In an age when our space program was still in it's infancy, Star Trek was T.V.'s first serious attempt at visualizing what travel beyond our solar system to the stars, encounters with alien civilizations and the engineering challenges involved with interstellar travel might entail. More importantly, it was a gateway for a lot of kids (myself included)to the world of real science. Star Trek got me into astronomy. Before the series ended, I'd built my very first telescope (a six inch Newtonian reflector) and I used that sucker every clear night! On a personal note, Mr. Spock was like the big brother I never had. Mr. Spock's approach to logic and thinking his way out of tough situations had a lot to do with my own personal approach to problem solving to this day. Wonderful, wonderful show!
  • Although it appears more than a little dated now this show is still a sci-fi classic.

For those of you who don't know, the plot follows the exploits of the crew of the Starship Enterprise in the 23rd century as they exploe the universe.

Lets start with the negatives; the special effects are dated and the plotlines are more than a little bit weak. Having said that the acting is surprisingly good and despite the dodgy dialoguereally easy to watch.

The real thing to remember though is that this was the birth of sci-fi as we know it and in many respects the marker by which all other sci-fi is measured. If you like sci-fi you will love this - particularly if you like old sci-fi.
  • I first saw this episode at Christmas 1975, when the BBC showed Star Trek every morning during the Christmas/New Year fortnight.

Even though i was just a kid, i still thought there was something a bit sick and kinky about a story where scenes of a sweaty, raving madman, who's been psychologically tortured, are juxtaposed with a woman in a mini-skirt, sexy black tights, and blue knickers clearly on view, waltzing around in a prison for the criminally insane. Morgan Woodward was famous for his portrayals of lunatics (he also played a madman in an episode of `Kung Fu'). There's a really embarassing scene in the transporter room, where Kirk and Spock both look at Helen Noel as if they've never seen a woman before!
  • How can anyone NOT love this show?

Every word in the book has been used to describe this show. Revolutionary, bold and visionary are just a few. Even though it failed to catch on during its original run, it now permeates every facet of our modern lives, whether we choose to acknowledge it or not. It portrayed a future in which mankind not only got over its own internal struggles, it began to reach out to other worlds to expand its understanding of the universe.

From a more down-to-Earth standpoint, it inspired the tech-heads of this generation to build many of the electronic gadgets we take for granted today. The character names are burned into the collective consciousness of modern society. Catchphrases from the show are bandied about without any need for explanation.

The show is simply great.
  • This is where the world of Star Trek began, the original series (TOS). The brain-child of one Gene Roddenberry, whose vision has led to millions upon millions of fans or casual followers since its inception.

The Original Series was unique and ahead of its time for the 60's, the episodes were extremely realistic then, some caused the change to government policy.

We follow the main characters of Capt. Kirk, Spock, Bones mainly, as they boldly go into space, exploring the unknown and having mini adventures along the way, meeting alien races, preventing wars, not to mention starting and then stopping a few too.

This is still an all time classic regardless of the media hype of today's shows, but to have witnessed this being broadcast for the first time must have been truely amazing.

As a boy, I caught the second wave of Star Trek fever to hit the UK, but it must have been great to have been a part of the first wave of trekkiness, wow that would have been awesome.
  • The original and most legendary sci-fi show to ever grace the airwaves. The one that all others are measured against. These are the voyages where the legend began....

It's hard to remember a time when there was only one Star trek show. When there was just one cancelled series. When all we could do to live the adventure was to watch these 79 episodes over and over again...and were happy to do it. As a child, I had my fandoms. Star trek was not one of them. Oh, I had always been aware of Star Trek...I liked Star Trek. But along the same lines as Lost In Space. Nothing more. I was never a ..you know..Trekkie (ooooh, that word). When Star trek premiered I had not even turned Two yet. When I was 10, my fandom was The Six Million Dollar Man. I had little or no use for spaceships and stuff. Until 1977. In July of that year, I finally found what all the fuss was about, and saw Star Wars! I was hooked! A freak! A geek! Whatever. Then it was Battlestar Galactica in 1978. Buck Rogers in 1979. But I still hadn't gotten the hang of Trek. It was kind of old school, ya know? Then in December 1979, Star Trek: The Motion Picture was released. I saw it. Eh, it was okay. Kind of long and boring. Then in June of 1982, The Wrath of Khan came out. Wow! I saw this one in the theater about five times. I brought friends. I snuck a cassette recorder into the theater to record the audio. BOOM, baby! I was hooked. I watched all the old episodes. I was a Trekker. What? You thought I was kidding when I said i was never a Trekkie? I wasn't. Never. I hate the term. See, the difference between Trekkies and Trekkers, is that Trekkies go around in costumes and pointed ears holding a phaser and carrying a communicator on their belt. No, I am not talking convention visits. I'm talking about daily life. People who loose themselves in the show at the expense of leading a productive, real life. Trekkers love the show for the great piece of fiction it is, and the way it presents a hopeful view of the future. For this show.. which was born in the most confusing , turbulant , and transformative decade in American history, I loved how Gene Roddenberry and fellow writers helped present stories about us..about human nature, in a Science Fiction medium. I love the cast, and the chemistry they had. But most of all, I love the characters and their relationships with each other. The era of true ensamble casts would not truly come into being for another twenty years, so many of the great and multi cultured crew's development suffered in comparison to the three leads, so for the most part..I'm talking about Captain James Tiberius Kirk, Spock of Vulcan, and Dr. Leonard H McCoy. The holy trinity of Star Trek. Many critisize Shatner's over the top acting as the legendary Kirk, to the point of mocking parody . And, in a lot of ways, that critisizm is justified. But it is also a part of who Kirk is. And it's a trait the character cannot do without. I pity Chris Pine on the new movie. He's going to be forced to emulate Shatner at the expense of his own interpretation. He'd better. Shatner's legacy doesn't leave room for another approach. One technique I used to love of Shatner's was one he learned doing Shakespeare. He would open his mouth to say something...stop...then walk towards the camera, pivot around to another camera, still with his mouth open to say something, and pause before he spoke the line. With that move, the audience is hopelessly fixed on him, waiting to hear what he has to say. Say what you want about over-dramatism, but it worked! Kirk was the penultimate leader. Nothing was more important than the safety of his ship and crew. ..except anybody with a red shirt. Screw them. We can get more. One of the things that could make Kirk a sort of tragic figure is, all the one night stands and conquests aside, he was a very lonely figure. His love for and relationship with his ship , would always keep him from that one special relationship. That one beach to walk on. Of course, Kirks leadership skills would be nothing if not for his two closest friends...Spock and McCoy. Spock has to be my favorite character amongst all other characters in all the series that I've grown to love over the years. Coming from a race of Vulcans, whom ..it is often overlooked..do not lack emotions...they surpress them. Vulcans are..it is pointed out..in fact very emotionally passionate and intense by nature. But in order to avoid not killing each other, the only way to survive their passions, is to reject them, and embrace logic and the sciences. Spock..is half human. so he has to work extra hard all the time..surrounded constantly by humans, to maintain his Vulcan nature. It is this unique factor that has given Leonard Nimoy the greatest challenge facing any actor I know. How do you play something like that? And to pull it off, and have the character maintain a legendary status for all these years? As well as being a sex-symbol for millions of women of the world? Truly a magnificent feat. It is, in fact, Nimoy whom I love to watch on this show, more so than any other character or actor. And some of his best moments are the result of a good sparring session with McCoy. Just an old country doctor, McCoy hated the modern technology, especially the transporter, and argued on the side of humanity all the time. As such, he was the perfect foil for spock, often taking sadiastic joy at throwing razor- barbed jabs at Spock for his cool, inhuman attitude. You never needed to feel sorry for Spock, though. He gave as good as he got. Ah, De...You are truly missed. McCoy was never really given much to do in this series except look and act crotchety. All the more credit to DeForest Kelly for still being able to endure the character to us so well. then there were the supporting cast. The late James Doohan as Montgomery Scott. How many people actually thought for years that it was his own natural accent they were hearing. Good old Scotty, the Miracle Worker. Always worrying about his poor beloved engines bursting at the seams every time Kirk shouted for Warp 8 speeds. The rest of the crew , rather than charactarization , were more noted for the cultural influences they represented at the time. George Takai. an Asian in the command crew, in an era when most Americans were still seeing Asians as an enemy. Not only were WWII and Korea not so distant memories, but Viet-Nam was raging at that time. Sulu had more to do in the beginning of the series than in it's last two Seasons (not counting the movies). I'm glad they decided to make him a Captain eventually. Uhura ..not only a female command member ( in a time when Women's lib had yet to reach fruition), but a Black woman! Remember this era..strewn with civil Rights debates, violence, riots, and deaths. And Chekov? Hello! at the height of the Cold war? Unfortunately, these three had little to do in the show. And it was only Walter Koenig's resemblance to Davey Jones of the Monkees ( and the resulting appeal to young women), that allowed him as much screen time as he was. Had we the ratings technology we have today, Star Trek would have lasted much longer, I'm sure. But as it was, it was cut short after Three seasons. In 1970, syndication brought the show new exposure, resulting in the growing audience, along with a burgening convention circuit. Talks of a revival sparked a return..sort of. Anybody remember the Animated series? A new live action series , then feature was discussed and dismissed in 1976. Then came 1977, and star wars, which started a sci-fi revival, and the rest is history. Now, almost 40 years after it's cancellation.. after a time when the Star Trek universe consisted of 79 old episodes..there are now 6 series ( 7, if you count New Voyages), and 10 movies to experience, with another due next year. We can look back on these 79 episodes as the beginning of a wonderful universe. I can only hope that Abrams is doing the right thing with this movie, and does not end up sounding the death knell for this amazing world permanently. As a wise man once said..." There are always possibilities"
  • Truely one of the best...

This show was so great. Spawning 5 different spin offs and so far 10 Movies. How can anyone say anything bad about such a great show. The Visual effects were great...for its time. The show was such a mixture of Sci Fi, Drama, and Comedy, that it was a shame that it only lasted 3 seasons, but at the same time if it would of lasted longer it might not of had the following it has today. Even while there was only 3 "Stars" the rest of the crew of the Enterprise deserve alot of prase because they were geat. I don't think I can say a bad thing about this show exept I can't believe it is over.
  • The Original Star Trek keeps my attention for sci-fi/fantasy and action/adventure that will keep your eyes glued and your mind open to a future that will very much happen to save humanity and mankind.

The Original Star Trek has a way of getting you interested in a saga that has grown beyond just a television series. This series introduced you to characters that eventually became legends. This series brought together different cultures and nationalities that would bring a world of peace and exploration to a galaxy that has riches worth having. Learning about new races and cultures gives you an sense of joy in knowing that one day we may have a possible future that definately worth living in. Having explorers like James T. Kirk and Spock in that future brings excitement to a series that treks the stars.
  • . . . . Star Trek, "ToS", is unique. It allowed for the first time, for SF to be taken somewhat seriously. While I suspect that, like Einstein, "someone" doing that job was inevitable, it's still "Einstein".

It's hard today to imagine SF in the 60s. It tended to be blown off with the derisive "... that 'Buck Rogers' stuff". While there were some standout SF pieces made before Star Wars, they were few and far between, and were defacto shielded from public consideration by the unrelenting sort of dreck which becomes the heart of MST3k episodes. On TV, before ST:ToS, of quality SF there was The Twilight Zone, and little else (maybe The Wild Wild West). Gene Roddenberry first pitched ST to CBS, which turned it down, because they already had a Sci-Fi show (only room for one per net, you know) -- Lost In Space

Then ST came onto the air, and, for the first time, Space Exploration wasn't about "rokkit ships 'n' rayguns", it was about people exploring strange new worlds, seeking out new life, and new civilizations. In short, it was about what Man will be doing if we ever get off this planet.

More importantly, it showed a future with promise, in which humans had begun to rise above our petty, earthbound squabbles (which contrasted sharply with the Doom and Gloom which arose in the Seventies, thanks to The Club of Rome and supposed "geniuses" like Paul "I've never been right on a single prediction, but still people listen to me" Ehrlich).

ST did more than just establish SF as a serious genre. It broke spaceships out of the rocketship or saucer mold, which virtually all ships until then had been.

Yes, we look at the show today, and the FX look pretty cheesy, but, in their time, they were utterly groundbreaking. It would take 10 years and more of development in these areas to produce a Travelling Matte (allowing for non-static FX shots) and the "chest burster" scene in Alien.

In reality, there were many things which we still haven't come close to producing, such as the sensor beds, the tricorders, and the needle-free hypospray (closest to reality but still not there yet)

The writing of the time was often some of the best then available, and literally sparkled compared to much of the writing found on TV ("Ward, don't you think you were a little bit hard on the Beaver last night?"), and, although the third season plots suffered as a result of the knowledge that the show was on a slow drip to death, the latter first season and second season episodes could still be remade with only a small amount of rewriting and still be enjoyable. It was good despite the fact that it is very difficult to be a good movie writer, a good SF writer, and a good fiction writer all at the same time. That essential synergy is one reason for all the dreck Sci-Fi masquerading as SF. Writing good SF instead of Sci-Fi means writing good fiction despite the easy out of rayguns and rockets. Writing good SF requires enough understanding and appreciation of science to realize that it's not enough to just invent a double-talk generator to solve your problems, you must have that DTG have a reason to exist in the first place (one weakness to ST:TNG was the tendency to use Wesley to make the DTG at every turn, hence the universal SF fan hatred of the Wesley character -- he made for bad SF).

Further, writing good SF for TV or even movies requires understanding the limitations and capabilities of the venue. You may be able to blow up 500 starships with a few clicks of your keyboard, but the FX department has to fit that into their budget for the show. The pacing for a TV show has special requirements, as well. It must (especially in the 60s, less so today) break the story up into a specific pattern, and all the appropriate ideas, actions, and plot points must fit into each pigeonhole "just so".

So looking at ST with this realization, it had to do all these things, and do them for the first time -- there was no "classic Star Trek" for people to point to, and say "I want to make something that impacts people like THAT!" -- And you will start to see and appreciate why ST was, in every way, the Einstein of SF on TV (with The Twilight Zone as its Newton). Don't look at it with today's Matrix eyes. That is neither fair to it or fair to your understanding.

Try and see it for what it was in its time -- a magnificent flight of imagination, an impressive breadth of vision, and a incredible work of art. If it falls short sometimes of perfection, remember the Waltzing Bear -- it's not how well it waltzes, but that it waltzed at all.
  • A splendid story centered around the crew of the USS Enterprise.

When I first saw this show when I was of a young age, I was immediately captivated by the ship's first officer, Spock. Now that I am considerably older, I can't help but be fascinated by the interactions of all of the main characters. Considering the time in which this show was made, one finds that it was remarkably ahead of its time. Some of the language may be old hat and instruments may be analogue, but the ideas behind Star Trek were great, sparking many more series, and possibly creating ideas for new television shows and videos. It is a shame it only lasted for three seasons.
  • The adventures of a spaceship and its crew while they explore the new frontier, the universe.

Another of those shows that becomes a work of art because of popular demand. I like everything about this show, starting with the actors who are just perfect for their roles. The stories are also some of the best ever, involving much more than just giant aliens trying to eat everything that gets close to their tentacles. We also find a lot of issues that attack our society reflected in this series. That's probably the only thing that bothers me a little, the fact that some of the episodes quickly go from action to soap opera. Above all, this show opened the way for more science fiction on TV.
  • HD DVD Review of the Original Series Season One written by Justin Sluss of HighDefDiscNews.com

Star Trek: The Original Series (Season One) - HD DVD Review

4 out of 5 stars - The Show Itself (has an average rating of 8.6 on IMDb)
    3 1/2 out of 5 stars - Video Quality (1080p in AVC MPEG-4 on 10 discs)
    3 out of 5 stars - Audio Quality (Dolby TrueHD 5.1 / Digital Plus 2.0)
    4 out of 5 stars - Bonus Materials (include Picture-in-Picture & more)
    Rated: - NOT RATED
    Year: - 1967
    Length: - 24 hours 25 minutes
    Studio: - CBS / Paramount

The Show Itself was a science fiction television show created by Gene Roddenberry. The first season of the show (29 episodes) originally aired from 1966 - 1967 on NBC. The show was considered extremely innovative and imaginative for it's time. "Star Trek" (The Original Series) told the story of a ship ("The Starship Enterprise"), it's Captain "James T. Kirk" (played by William Shatner), his second officer "Mr. Spock" (played Leonard Nimoy), the rest of his crew of over 400 and their "5 year mission to boldly go where no man has gone before." At the time of the show's conception space travel by NASA was really starting to bloom and the was definitely a growing interest in the space program from the general public. This show worked as a great device for doing such and went on to inspire many people to become astronauts or work for NASA. The technical term for a fan of the "Star Trek" series (and/or franchise) is called a "Trekkie." They're usually made out to be total nerds but you'd be surprised who actually likes these shows.

The first season of the show (out of the entire three seasons that aired) included 29 episodes as mentioned before but they all really had a decent story to them individually. Almost all of these episodes appear to be well rated over at TV.com as I noticed while doing research for this Review. So this is definitely a great point in the show's history as far as good episodes (with good stories) goes. This series went on to inspire many "Star Trek" films and other shows. Shatner was in his acting prime back in these days, he had been doing episodes of Rod Serling's "Twilight Zone" that are classic themselves and then really established himself as "Captain Kirk" which made him pretty much an immortal icon to the sci-fi world.

The original series really was brilliant in it's original form and this release has some controversial new "visual effects" improvements that some fans claim really alter the viewing experience way too much from it's original state. Yes this is a new version of this original show that is "like you've never seen or experienced it before" but is that a good thing? I'll begin to explain more about that later below. Overall this is a decent HD DVD release but does have a pretty high price tag to go with that 10 disc HD DVD Combo Format box set. I can only recommend this to fans of the show who aren't going to complain about the new restoration.

Video Quality on this release is 1080p in AVC MPEG-4 which comes to you in a ten disc HD DVD Combo Format box set. The opposite side of each disc contains the standard definition DVD counter-part. At the time of writing this Review I'm not sure totally but I believe these are all HD-15's (15 gigabyte Single-Layered HD DVD's). This really comes as no surprise if so considering two things, first that the show is only in 1.33:1 (4:3 Fullscreen) aspect ratio and that each disc contains 3 (roughly hour-long) episodes. The video quality to be in the original aspect ratio that it aired on NBC in primarily 1966-1967 (for this season) is now really somewhat cool to behold with it's amount of detail present in this new High Def transfer. I will say it's a somewhat decent restoration but not the best, the whole process and video transfer could have been better. But I'll focus on the positive aspects of the video quality here like, the black levels are very solid and even the flesh tones come across somewhat nice. The color is definitely consistent but does seem a tad bit off to a degree. It doesn't seem to have the total right tone that shows did with the rich vibrant colors they did back in the late 60's when color was first being used on television shows.

Yes there is an obvious amount of film grain and noise present throughout but it's to be expected with dated material such as this. I didn't find this bothersome, it in fact really helps try to keep the retro feel. That is somewhat despite all the new "visual effects improvements" they've added which don't really make for the best visual blend and I'll begin to explain why. Like I earlier mentioned, they took the original camera negatives of the show and remastered the video. They also went to a great extent of work with "state-of-the-art technology" to redo the show's visual effects (namely the show's intro with the external shots of the "Enterprise" and such) into an odd (but what they did try to make seamless) blend of computer animation and remastered video. The real problem is that the blend doesn't totally look right as the new computer animated scenes lack the film grain of the restored live-action portions of the show.

I can honestly to a degree understand why "Trekkies" are going to be upset by this release but I think you should remember the phrase, "you can't please everyone" in a case such as this. I don't totally feel the blend of the restored original footage and new visual effects blend perfectly (especially in High Definition). I seriously doubt though we'll EVER see this show come to HD DVD in it's total original form. Be happy with what you get here, which if you're a real fan of the show I'm sure you will somewhat be pleased with this purchase (depending on how much you have to pay for it).

Audio Quality on this release is in Dolby True HD 5.1 and Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 (two channel Mono). Honestly when you really begin to think about this "logically" as "Mr. Spock" would say, this probably wasn't the best material to try to put into a 5.1 mix. I'll now begin to explain why I believe so and why I actually prefer the Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 over the TrueHD 5.1 mix. First off, aside from the show's intro (with the newly re-recorded theme song) you're not going to notice any real large amount of dynamic range or rear channel presence hardly at all in the TrueHD 5.1 mix.

However with the Dolby Digital Plus 2.0 track it comes through as really how it was intended to be heard. I just feel the 5.1 was an overkill here and don't see the need for it. Sure Star Trek's whole idea is about technology but that doesn't mean we have get a really only mediocre 5.1 mix as a result. Now perhaps in the future when I'm using a stereo receiver able to fully handle the TrueHD format I might say otherwise but until then I'll stick with the 2 channel Mono track and give this a "3 Star Rating" for audio quality.

Bonus Materials * "Starflet Access" is an on-screen graphical interface (similar to Universal's "U-Control" in ways) that allows the viewer to access Picture-in-Picture video commentaries that feature comparisons of the original to the newly restored footage as well as interviews, episode specific trivia, an encyclopedia of sorts of "Star Trek" information and more. The only real complaint I have that is that this feature is only available on 7 of the 29 episodes included in Season One. The episodes that include "Starfleet Access" are listed below: "Where No Man Has Gone Before" "The Menagerie, Parts 1 & 2" "Balance of Terror" "The Galileo Seven" "Space Seed" "Errand of Mercy" Located on Disc 10 (Side A - HD DVD) you'll find the following bonus materials presented in 1080p High Def AVC MPEG-4 video with Dolby Digital Plus sound: "Spacelift: Transporting Trek into the 21st Century" (20 minutes) is a pretty decent documentary on the new visual effects used that are so controversial to the fan base of this show. This features interviews with folks like the Senior Vice President of CBS/Paramount (David Lafountaine), members of both the restoration and the visual effects processes. This gives you a nice behind-the-scenes look of how this release (controversial as it may be) came to be. The entire recording session of the newly re-orchestrated theme is included in this documentary. This is really worth checking out if you like the new "visual effects" version. "Billy Blackburn's Treasure Chest: Rare Home Movies and Special Memories" (13 minutes) is pretty self explanatory thanks to the subtitle except I guess it would help that you knew Billy was a regular "extra" on the show who usually ending up playing the navigator. He shares with you his experiences of being on the set and even shows us some of his old home movies he recorded while on the set. This proves to be pretty informative but nothing truly breakthrough. This is though definitely worth watching to fans of the show. "Interactive Enterprise Tour" is a computer animated 3D simulated model of the "Starship Enterprise" presented in High Def that allows the viewer to explore both the exterior and interior of the ship. Complete details, photos, audio recordings are present for each section of the ship. This is pretty impressive and totally worth checking out to fans of the show.

- Review written by Justin Sluss
  • Light Years Ahead

I first saw Star Trek in re-run form when I was not more than five years old, and was hooked ever since. As a kid, my dad and I would watch it whenever FOX decided to air it, often weeknights at 7 pm, and now I wake up to it every morning on TV Land. It is probably my all-time favorite, and seeing its faults now as a discriminating adult simply endears the series to me even more.

The characters and their interaction are what I like best, as well as the sub-themes that ran with it, such as Spock's friendship with Kirk, and his unwilling but unavoidable bantering with McCoy. Scotty, Uhura, and Chekhov were equally charismatic, if sometimes underplayed. The villains were great fun, as was guessing who would be the first disposable character to get wacked on a landing expedition. It's easy now to criticize the special effects and sets, but we forget how exponentially technology has developed since the 1960s and we take for granted what we can now do with digital, which Rodenberry did not have at his disposal. Shatner's overwrought "acting" is simply icing on the cake, and great for a laugh; the paper-mache boulders and the crewmen literally hurling themselves across the bridge while under missile attack do bring a smile. All in all, if Star Trek were not among the greatest, there is no way it would have remained such an icon today.
  • This has to be the best well created show in the history of mankind.

I love everything about the show the drama the action the characters and everything else. Gene Roddenberry had to be a genus to create such a good show if it weren't for him I would not be a Trekkie to this day. I love star trek so much I started collecting it and just this last month I went to the (2007) Star Trek Convention in Las Vegas and I bought a photo op ticket to see George Takei (Sulu) so I met him in person and I was to happy that day, good memories. So I love the Storyline and the Storyboard and everything else.
  • The multi-cultural, family-like inter-racial relationship of the Star Trek crew is what attracted me the most. I believe all of the famous crew survived their long voyage in space.

An episode called the Doomsday Machine was frightening when the whooshing sound associated with the laser-like beam destroyed a planet. This giant planet killer looks like a mighty marble-stoned telescope roughly made. Luckily, an unfamiliar Star Trek man died inside the thing and snuffed it out. I have missed many episodes since I was a teenager. I'm glad I will see the re-mastered series in dvd. Now that new technology is making television more exciting, such as plasma and LCD. If Star Trek is re-mastered for blu-ray dvd, no doubt the series would look like it has been dramatized recently. The most hypnotic actor that stood out is pointy-eared Spock. His brilliant logic and low voice would make men, as well as women, fall in love with him. Without Spock, no one can survive in space where dangerous alien enemies are lurking. The Enterprise's circular control room with buzzing and whistling electronic controls seemed that the ship was very real. I don't remember any of the famous crew being killed in the series - who would?
WZME