Star Trek

NBC (ended 1969)

Gislef

Star Trek Fan Reviews (95)

• A Different Age

It's none too hard to understand why the young adults of today see Star Trek TNG as a boring, dated show. Their lives have been filled with special effects and little in the way of plot or character development. They never lived in a time when women were seen as homemakers or nuns and very little else. They never knew an age where blacks and whites were separate.

Trek was only a decade past the "step 'n fetch it" boys of the early cinema. Blacks were not seen on television shows, and neither were orientals. To have women, blacks and orientals in positions of responsibilities was revolutionary. To have war be a thing of the past was almost too good to be true. The idea that we could find excitement in traveling the stars and finding new civilizations and making friends was a thing of Science Fiction.

We were in the era of the Cold War. Building bomb shelters and practicing for air raids. Time and again we'd come to the brink of war and we were all terrified. The only bright spark on our horizon was the space program and here comes a show that told us just how far we could go with that program. We needed the good news that Star Trek brought.

I'm sorry if kids of today think of it as boring but they miss the point. This is a show to tell you what 1967 thought the future held. the future held. It's a way to look into the past and feel a different era. Well worth watching, Star Trek still holds fascination for me. It was the first time that a black kissed a white. The first time an alien was shown as equal to a human. The first time that diversity was considered a positive thing. I think we still have things we can learn from that old show.