Star Trek

Space Seed

Aired Unknown Feb 16, 1967 on NBC

• Enterprise picks up the crew from a drifing space ship sent into space centuries ago. The crew are refugees from the Eugenics Wars and is lead by the main man, Kahn.

I know some people find this episode none too great but I loved it. This is the episode that spawned, "Star Trek: The Wrath of Khan", some Trek Enterprise episodes and numerous fan fics. Ricardo (Fine corinthian leather and Boss! Boss! The plane, boss!) Montalban gives a great performance as Khan, a genetically created human who has, "five times your strength" and superior intelligence. Fortunately for Kirk and company he has a large ego too. Apparently he's also a charmer because a crew member, Lt. McGivers, a historian who just happens to be a specialist of Kahn's time period, falls for him big time. (By the way I'm just curious but what's a historian doing on a star ship? Does she know the history of every planet in the Federation?) She helps him try to take control of the ship but has a change of heart when Khan tortures Kirk in a pressure chamber because the crew has locked out some controls of the ship and he wants to persuade the crew to give him the controls. She saves Kirk and as a thank you she is allowed to join Khan and his boys and girls in exile on a hostile planet rather than face a court martial. Personally I liked what Khan said to Kirk when he was told life would be very hard on the planet, "Are you familiar with Milton, Capt. Kirk?"
    Kirk nods, "I understand." Scotty asks him about this and Kirk tells him that Khan was referring to Paradise Lost where Satan tells God, "Tis better to rule in hell than serve in Heaven."
    I thought this episode was well worth watching.