Star Trek

Spock's Brain

Aired Unknown Sep 20, 1968 on NBC

• An alien female beams aboard the Enterprise and takes Spock's Brain. Spock's body is kept alive and animated by medical technology. Kirk and company go in search of Spock's brain so they can return it to his body.

I think most everyone agrees this is one of the worst, if not the worst ST:TOS episode. I remember watching it first run on tv and after it was over I thought, why did I sit through that? It was meaningless. On the alien world where Spock's brain was taken, we learn that the women live underground and men above ground. Ages ago their planet became hostile due to a severe world wide ice age. The men, chivalrous as they were, sent the women underground while they stayed above. Don't ask why as I don't remember and I don't care. The women while underground evolved into airheads and need Spock's brain as a living computer to explain to them how to do complicated things such as breathe and tie their shoes. Kirk and company find Spock's brain but have no idea how to put it back into his body. But there's a handy device called the Teacher which programs information into a subject. McCoy subjects himself to the device and becomes a surgical genius. Spock's brain is re-united with the body and everyone is happy. Except the women who have lost their 'Controller' as they called Spcok's brain. But Kirk explains that they will learn how to live without it and takes off. Another problem solved. I gave this episode a 3 rating instead of 1 simply because it's Star Trek and I love Star Trek. Had it been any other show I would have given it a 1. Even then it was painful to watch. And judging from the acting, the crew did too.