Star Trek

The City on the Edge of Forever

Aired Unknown Apr 06, 1967 on NBC

• As good as it ever gets …

I think there’s few that would dispute that “City on the Edge of Forever” is the best STAR TREK episode of the Original Series, if not ever. But why is is so good? Simply because is showcases the very essence of dramatic storytelling.

Kirk is forced to choose between the life of the woman he loves and the very existence of his own reality. Whew, big enough concept for you?

There’s other factors that make this episode fun – that the action is propelled by McCoy, which is a nice change: that we get time travel: plus Spock in 1930s New York, explaining his ears and Kirk falling in love (not just womanising, but actually falling in love).

And there’s a couple of minor niggles. I really don’t like Edith Keeler’s speech about her vision of the future. Perhaps with a better actress than Joan it might have worked, but whichever way you look at it, it’s a clumsy monologue. I didn’t much care for Uhura saying, “I’m frightened,” either. Out of character and just not the sort of thing you’d expect a professional military-type person to say. And charismatic though Edith is meant to be (if she lives she’ll single-handedly keep the US out of WW2), I just don’t buy that Kirk would fall in love with her in a couple of days. Admire her, fancy her, even … but love? It stretches it a bit.

BUT … these are MINOR niggles. Over all, this is simply as good as it gets, hence my 9.9 rating. If you have to show your kids why TREK is the dog’s tackle, show ‘em this one!