Star Trek

The Enemy Within

Aired Unknown Oct 06, 1966 on NBC

• Kirk accidentally kills Scotty’s pet puppy in a transporter accident

When I watched this in the 1970s I never liked it. I thought that it dragged and got really frustrated with the fact that they never properly addressed Sulu and the landing party's dilemma with the cold. When I watched it in the 2000s I was quite fascinated with the concept of a human being's mind divided into good and bad and strong and weak. And I think it was portrayed and studied quite well here. It actually made me think quite a lot about myself and my attributes and liabilities within me. So I really used to rate this quite low in my youth, but this is one of the episodes where in my adulthood, the rating went up somewhat.
  • Captain Kirk is split into two people, one good and one evil.

For decades, whenever William Shatner was asked which Star Trek episode was his favorite, he'd reply, "'The Enemy Within'. It's got me twice. What could be better?"

The truth is the episode is rather lacking. Star Trek would do the "evil twin" concept much better after this first effort. The problem is that Shatner plays the two halves so over the top, neither one is very likeable. Furthermore, most people could guess the ending after watching the first five minutes, but it takes forever to get there. On the plus side, there's some good philosophical arguments made about good versus evil, and their importance to us and command. And watching Shatner overact isn't all bad; sometimes it's funny.
  • Kirk splits into his two halves, good and evil.

This is a strange episode indeed. Bill Shatner does great on this episode that deals with two Kirks on the Enterprise. By the end of the episode, you kind of feel sorry for the "evil" Kirk when he begs "I want to live!" There is also a cute part of this episode that has a new alien that in reality is just a dog in a costume. It looks like a bulldog with a unicorn horn stick out of it's head. Overall, another great episode that defines what Star Trek really is. The first season really does have some great episodes
  • A transporter malfunction results in Captain Kirk being 'split in two' – one half brutal, the other unable to make decisions. With an away team stuck on a freezing planet unable to transport up, finding a solution is paramount. An enjoyable story...

This is a very good first season episode, and it is interesting to see Captain Kirk "split in two", with one half good, one half bad. Although limited by the effects of the time, there is some good lighting and the odd clever jump edit that brings the "bad" Kirk to life.

I have always loved 'evil twin' scenarios, and the second season's classic "Mirror, Mirror" has always been one of my favourite 'Star Trek' episodes. Likewise, this episode taps into a similar vein, and it is great to see the good Kirk, unable to make decisions after being split in half, try to get his bad half under control.

There is a noticeable mistake running through the earlier parts of the episode, where both Kirk and the bad Kirk have their insignia missing from their uniform tops. Apparently it had been removed when the top was dry-cleaned, and nobody noticed that it hadn't been reattached – pretty slack on somebody's behalf, and surely someone must have noticed! Further bloopers appear later in the story when the bad Kirk is on the bridge – the viewscreen behind him can be seen to be blank; and the scratches on his face jump sides on close-ups (due to the film being reversed).

Anyway, the story is a good one, and the added twist of Mr. Sulu and co. being stuck down on the freezing planet, unable to beam up, adds some extra urgency to proceedings. It did strike me, though, why a shuttle wasn't launched to pick them up – even if it would take time getting there, it surely would at least have been a back-up plan. Or maybe I missed something there.

As good as the story is, if I was forced to be critical, I would say that it loses its way in the latter stages. After the bad Kirk has been captured, and the good Kirk tries to bond with him, the story seems to go slightly limp, and lose some of its urgency. Likewise, the bad Kirk doesn't actually seem all that bad later on – he just shouts and rants a lot. But these are more just nitpicks than anything. All-in-all, a good story.
  • special

special,but good episode.
    story:
    As a landing party surveys a planet, a transporter malfunction splits Kirk into an aggressive aspect and a timid one. The aggressive Kirk threatens the security of the ship and crew, while the passive one tries to maintain his sanity and ability to command. In the meantime, the cause of the transporter problems haven't been determined, stranding Sulu and the team in the planet's subfreezing night temperatures while the two sides of Kirk's personality fight for control of the Enterprise.

a very good story.
    but very special.
    a bit average,but very good acting too.
    for that years it are very good effects.
    rating:7.5
  • Great Shatner over-acting in this one

Kirk is beamed up from a planet, only to have second Kirk beam up a minute later. It is discovered Kirk has been split in half. The first Kirk is the intellect and gentleness, the second is unbridled lust, desire and aggression. The "bad" Kirk attacks crewman and attempts to rape Yeoman Rand. The "good" Kirk has trouble making important decisions as he is only half of himself. Meanwhile, Sulu and other crewmen are on the planet below-stranded because the Enterprise can't risk beaming them up until they fix the problem. Temperatures on the planet get to -120F and the men can't last long.

Finally, a solution is found and Kirk is back to his normal self. No dead "crewman number 6" in this one =).
  • A good exploration of the limits of both a person and a technology in a sc-fi setting.

A transporter malfunction splits Kirk into two separate men, each retaining only parts of his personality and abilities.

While this is possibly not one of the most exciting episodes of the series and it takes place mostly on the ship set, it does a good job mining the horror of the situation. I like the idea that the Enterprise is so dependent on its transporters, so much so that a crew might be stranded if something goes wrong. While the writers soon "invented" the shuttlecraft, the drama here is pretty sharp and effective. Sulu's line about lowering a pot of coffee from orbit is one of my favorites of the series, it's funny and "plucky" at the same time.

And if a spaceship is going to have a matter scrambler/assembler, this story is a memorable example of how it might "go wrong". Not realistic, but memorable. Shatner always rises and falls based on his overblown reading of lines (even to this day on "Boston Legal"), and here it's perfect as he's asked to play outrageous and exaggerated versions of his character. He's not only at his best as belicose but as whining, petulant, and vain. The scenes of him staggering about the decks with a bottle of Sorian Brandy are just about perfect for the story. This installment also is not shy about dealing with sexual assualt, fairly rare for the time it was made. Spock's line to Rand at the conclusion is a nice "spicy" element to the program that is often lost in later episodes.

As a balanced story, one of the best of the series.
  • To thine own selves be true....

In "The Enemy Within," the Enterprise crew has to look out for an evil James Kirk when a malfunction in the transporter created two Kirks: an all-evil Kirk and an all-good Kirk.

"The Enemy Within" is a thrilling and well acted Star Trek episode about the human condition. The episode pushes the envelope for late 1960s television as the evil Kirk gets a little too physical with Yeoman Rand - that scene is still shocking to this day. The evil Kirk is a formidable opponent - but is he as bad as one might think? Does the nice Kirk need his evil to be back to his normal self? This is an interesting theme and is dealt with extremely well by the Star Trek writers and filmmakers. Also, the fact that the transporter is not working - since it happens to be creating two different halves of people - makes it unable for the Enterprise to beam an expedition team off of a rapidly cooling planet. This aspect of the story gives urgency to the tale of two Kirks aspect.
  • I'M CAPTAIN KIRK!

When investigating a unoccupied planet, the ships transporters malfunction after Kirk beams up before the rest of the away team. The malfunction creates a ‘duplicate’ that is comprised of Kirk’s evil side whilst the other side of Kirk becomes even weaker as a result. To make matters worse, the remaining members of the away team are stranded until the transporters can be fixed and the planet gets pretty cold in the late hours.

‘The Enemy Within’ plays out like a battle of two sides that takes place inside each and every one of us every day in our lives. The difference here is that this battle is physical and brought to life, affecting other people as it continues. Most particularly potent is the scene which depicts one of the darkest acts seen in Trek history when evil Kirk attempts to force sex on Yeoman Rand. Not only do both actors play it fantastically with a high level of tension and brutal ugliness but the message it gets across is one of the strong points of the episode.

Throughout the opening scenes of Enemy Within, we are treated to a whole host of amusing scenes involving both sides of Kirk roaming the Enterprise and interacting with the crew he has known for so long in such different manners. There is a definite sense of Kirk in both, probably more so in ‘good Kirk’ but Shatner provides us with an excellent performance, depicting both sides entertainingly and realistically. What I found most effective was his portrayal of good Kirk’s slow but gradual weakened mind due to the ‘tough’ side of him being missing. The progress is never rushed from one extreme to the other and develops perfectly throughout the course of the plot. Sure he chews scenery now and then but I didn’t mind it, in fact the episode probably wouldn’t be as good as it is without it. In the end both versions come off as intriguing yet familiar, and that’s what makes the threat of such a duplication even more engaging and less of a generic threat that has no real ties to the crew themselves.

During the earlier half of the episode Spock made a rather interesting speech to Kirk on the matter of a captain’s duty to keep his vulnerabilities to himself in order to keep order stored within the crew. It’s a topic that I near touched on in my review of ‘Where No Man Has Gone Before’ where it seems Kirk does exactly that when personal issues with his best friend arise and he doesn’t show much emotion as it happens around his officers. I didn’t find it particularly insightful but simply saw it as a good way to confirm how the future form of ‘military’ works, which is often very similar to our present days attitudes, and seems the case here.

Following this the episode begins to shift focus, showing more of the good and bad sides of each character rather than just representing one as good and the other as evil. At first it isn’t directly stated, in fact I noticed it a good 5 minutes before anything was said but nonetheless, it shows the director knew what he was doing. We begin to see that both sides of Kirk need each other just as much as each other not just to function properly and morally but to function as a ship’s captain. Without Kirk’s rough side it seems, Kirk lacks any real sense of command and ability to keep order. However as McCoy states to Kirk later on, without the good side of Kirk, he wouldn’t have his intelligence and moral judgement to rely on in difficult situations. Furthermore McCoy makes an interesting move in claiming that human courage may jus come from those things as when both confronted each other, evil Kirk was scared but good Kirk wasn’t. It’s this sort of discussion between characters that I love about Star Trek, not only does it offer entertaining and intelligent dialogue to take place but it offers an endless amount of discussion to take place afterwards.

Somewhere during the middle section of Enemy Within we get one of our first classic Kirk/Spock/McCoy moments. It all just works fantastically and the chemistry the three have from only knowing each other for so long is almost a prediction of how far these guys will come with each other and the developments that will take place between them. During the rather short debate however, Spock makes a comparison to the situation to that of his battle taking place between the Human and Vulcan side of himself everyday. This works as a good comparison because just a week earlier we seen him eventually break down as a result of the conflict created, but only because he was intoxicated. Spock claims that his intelligence eventually overcomes all conflict and unites both sides peacefully, which in turn shows Kirk what he (as the intelligence) must do.

The battle eventually comes to a conclusion on board the bridge where both meet and evil Kirk begins to hope that the other crew members will be uncertain who is the good Kirk but alas it fails. This is another nice touch that reaffirms how well the crew know their captain and how well the captain knows his crew. In the final sequences, we are treated to some brilliant acting by Shatner and direction by Penn which depicts both sides of Kirk in their most extremes before they finally surrender to each other in recognition of their weakness without each other. I liked this move also; more often than not we would have a battle ensue with the good Kirk coming out on top. Usually his shirt would be ripped as a result too no doubt but thankfully, this battle is won through mutual understanding which stands as a far more effective ending to a compelling and interesting look at both extremes of human nature.

“I’ve seen a part of myself that no man should ever see” Kirk informs Spock back on the bridge, back to his old self and he couldn’t be truer. Nobody every likes acknowledging the dark parts of themselves, nevertheless we have to deal with them everyday, never mind having to look them in eye and realising we need them.

For me, ‘The Enemy Within’ is a classic episode on all parts. In no way is it flawless, in fact I had a hard time trying to buy the freezing away team subplot but whatever reasons I have or not liking the episode are ruthlessly overshadowed by the reasons I have for loving it; Two highly interesting versions of captain Kirk, an excellent performance by Shatner and the rest of the cast, effective direction and character analysis, top-quality dialogue and a captivating science fiction plot that keeps you interested throughout. Brilliant stuff.
  • I just have one question...

7.8
    This is considered a classic episode and you can see why. The relationship between the main character is developing into what made the show a success. The story line is a sci-fi version of Jekyll and Hyde, offering Shatner to do some real acting. It questions what the most important characteristics of a leader should be. (Aggression is necessary, though courage is derived from the sensible side of Kirk.) Of course some elements are quite predictable. When one secondary character (practically an extra with lines) is beamed up on his own, you know something bad is going to happen, just like the least known character in a landing party always gets killed first. The death of the pet may have caused some surprise, although I spent most of my time trying to figure out how the dog had been made up to look like this creature. And throughout the latter half I felt like shouting at the screen: Why not beam down inanimate material like food or blankets for Sulu and the others who are freezing to death? The transporter problem only seemed to effect living material.
  • First of the "evil twin" stories

"The Enemy Within" used an idea that would crop up again during this run of STAR TREK - the Evil Twin. This time, Captain Kirk is split into two by a Transporter malfunction (another recurring story device) so that there's a good Kirk and a bad Kirk.

Incredibly, those closest to him, Yeoman Rand, Spock, don't realise (until it's too late) that they're dealing with evil Kirk. But of course, that's where the fun comes from, with the audience yelling at the screen "Nooo ... can't you see it's EVIL Kirk?"

So popular was the evil twin idea that the producers used it in the very next segment aired, "What are little Girls Made Of?", where an insane scientist constructs an evil Kirk android and sends it up to the Enterprise. And again, Kirk's nearest and dearest don't realise an evil duplicate is among them ...

Don't you just love STAR TREK?
  • Captain Kirk gets duplicated in the transporter into a "good" Kirk, and a "bad" Kirk. There is a group of 4 men on the planet including Sulu who will freeze to death, but they cant be beamed up with the transporter causing doubles.

Great episode, with the evil Kirk always having the shadow on his face to make him look dark and bad. The doglike creature shown at the beginning of the episode is pretty funny looking, kind of like a unicorn dog or something. With a party down on the planet which will get incredibly cold as the day wears on, but the transporter making duplicates of good/evil in a person or animal they cant bring that party aboard. So Kirk tries to keep everything together but finds his will and power of command slowly weakening. This episode keeps you thinking and shows the difference between good and evil. All in all if you are a big Shatner fan, give the episode a go... he appears as two people .. how much more Shatner do you need? Anybody who liked the series ... watch this episode ... its a good one.