Star Trek

The Enemy Within

Aired Unknown Oct 06, 1966 on NBC

• I just have one question...

7.8
    This is considered a classic episode and you can see why. The relationship between the main character is developing into what made the show a success. The story line is a sci-fi version of Jekyll and Hyde, offering Shatner to do some real acting. It questions what the most important characteristics of a leader should be. (Aggression is necessary, though courage is derived from the sensible side of Kirk.) Of course some elements are quite predictable. When one secondary character (practically an extra with lines) is beamed up on his own, you know something bad is going to happen, just like the least known character in a landing party always gets killed first. The death of the pet may have caused some surprise, although I spent most of my time trying to figure out how the dog had been made up to look like this creature. And throughout the latter half I felt like shouting at the screen: Why not beam down inanimate material like food or blankets for Sulu and the others who are freezing to death? The transporter problem only seemed to effect living material.
WZME