Star Trek

The Enterprise Incident

Aired Unknown Sep 27, 1968 on NBC

• Espionage! Spock turning traitor? Kirk going mad? A sexy Romulan commander with go-go boots and miniskirt!! I say all these things in a good way, this should NOT be missed!

I wish more TNG and later stories were like this one. Thoughtful, action based, and slave to contemporary fashion.

Now I like to nitpick, so I do find it odd that the Romulans would transport over two higher ranking officers as hostages (after all, they are not the ones in the wrong here!), but it wouldn't have been much for the Enterprise clothiers to have knitted up a Centurian uniform if they had to anyway.

But that's the only one worth mentioning. The performances all around are terrific and the plot - to go in to Romulan space to steal a new piece of technology (a cloaking device) in order to maintain a balance of power is terrific, and highly entertaining. The subplot discussing the Romulan Commander's and Spock's shared roots is also, forgive me, fascinating and leaves one wanting for more. Maybe that's why I enjoyed TNG's "Unification"...

If only the reference to "Romulans using Klingon design ships" idea had been remembered for other season 3 stories as in those stories everybody instantly jumps to the concluson of "Klingons!!!"...