Star Trek

The Lights of Zetar

Aired Unknown Jan 31, 1969 on NBC

6.7
  • Interesting concept, but blah execution

7.1
    Like many third-season episodes, this one tries to be rather experimental. It's very much a horror/possession story: The Zetars (Zetarians?) aren't really aliens as much as a demonic "I am Legion" type of force intent on taking over the life and body of a human being for their own purposes.

Despite this fact it comes from Shari Lewis of "Lambchop" fame, it features some definitely creepy scenes: the deaths on Memory Alpha, Romaine's possession episodes, the scenes of the possessed technician/Romaine changing face-color and making that weird garbled noise (a recycle from the aliens at the end of "Catspaw"?), and the grotesque form of death aliens bring. And we get another alien race, powerful, mildly apologetic, but with iron-willed determination to save themselves. Again, we get another "alien" alien in the third season. And the idea of a Federation library.

Unfortunately, how it plays out is kind of flawed. James Doohan purportedly wasn't thrilled with the romance, and it's not surprising. Despite his best efforts (and some really awkward dialogue), there's not any chemistry between the two romantic leads. Jan Shutan does the horror elements well, and the character's late-in-the game "I will not be taken over" determination, and she's not conventionally drop-dead gorgeous. However, she doesn't really sell her side of the romance angle.

There's also that excruciating log entry by Kirk at the beginning ("When a man of Scotty's years..." wow, way to rub it in), and the whole "high pressure can kill the aliens" angle that comes in from left field.

So I'd give it around a 7 for general creepiness and alien alienness, but it doesn't really make it into the top tier. Just cruising along in the middle of the middle range.
  • Leave it to Scotty to choose a girlfriend who talks with a guy's voice and floats in mid air

5.4
    I continue to say that I think this one is creepy. I still have to look away from the screen when they see the dead body on Memory Alpha in the library. I was reading one of the notes or trivia comments and they mentioned that it would have been so easy for the Zetarians to leave that pressure chamber the same way they came onto the ship. By simply moving away. They had no problem moving through that bulkhead. Great comment. Most of the trivia I knew about and shared the opinion, but that was a real good observance.
  • Shari Lewis, of Lambchop fame, makes mutton out of this

I honestly want to love this story. It's refreshingly different, more horror than sci-fi, and some of Shari's offerings and input are great.

But Scotty's blatant sexism toward Mira Romaine, a person whose name is synonymous for lettuce (albeit one of the healthier varieties), must be seen to be believed. He quickly pawns everything off as "space sickness", and despite what the crew has been through in their travels, they should all know better!!

But despite that, at Memory Alpha, we see a female customer dying in amongst the dead men, which helps compensate. It's a chilling scene in its own right, but it's nice to see that women in the 23rd century are just as capable to educate themselves... keep in mind that the original pilot's first officer was a woman (who was rewritten to what Spock would become) that broke every anti-female stereotype and the execs watching the pilot wanted her gone, so sexism was a big problem behind the scenes and that led to problems in front of the camera, as many stories sadly reveal, as well. Except miniskirts - which were, ironically, a sign of sexual liberation at the time. But in a hetero male target audience, the execs would not complain either way...

Actually,for season 3, this story is surprisingly solid and the horror works EXCEPTIONALLY well.

The pressure chamber should have killed Romaine, while arguably harming (or not) the Zetarians in the process...

I like the Zetarians as a gestalt entity, wanting to find corporeal life again. It's a good trope, but overall the execution is all over the map - some great scenes ruined by really bad ones elsewhere.

• At Memory Alpha, a planet full of library records, the Enterprise crew are temporarily incapacitated by mysterious energy-based life forms, which posses Lt. Mira Romaine, who Scotty has fallen in love with. Another average third season story...

(I am resuming my goal to review every episode of the Original Series. As if the third season wasn't enough of a slog in the first place, my DVD set had two damaged disks (one of them containing this episode) and I had to replace them. Oh well, back on track…)

"The Lights of Zetar" is another one of those average-at-best third season episodes that has nothing particularly outstanding about it.

Memory Alpha, a planetoid that is a library for Federation records, is a very interesting concept, but deserves a story more solely devoted to it – here it rather just ends up as the standard 'endangered location of the week'. The title of Memory Alpha is now used as the name of a popular 'Star Trek' wiki.

I don't find the love interest between Mr. Scott and Lt. Mira Romaine to be convincing at all. Although the late James Doohan appears to do his best with the material he is given, but there is little real spark between the pair. The interest seems purely one-way, with Scotty, I have to say, rather appearing as the lusty old man after the sexy young girl.

...Following on from which, there are some very out of character moments for Scotty. Yes he is in love with Mira, but I couldn't believe that he would deliberately disobey Kirk's orders and follow her to sickbay; nor would he not report Mira's strange condition that soon emerges.
    As with Scotty's previous love interest in the second seasons "Who Mourns for Adonais?", this is the last we ever heard of the girl (although several non-canon novels have included Mira).

When Mira becomes possessed by the energy-based aliens, things started to become a tamer version of the first season's "Where No Man Has Gone Before". However, the story didn't follow up on the quality of that episode, and I didn't really buy the later moments of this instalment. I didn't fully grasp the climatic scene in the pressure chamber, and it didn't really feel like a pleasing nor believable solution to the premise.

All-in-all, not really an outstanding episode. In seasons one or two, this would have served as filler offering at best; unfortunately, the third season is rather full of these middling stories, and is a prime example of why the third season is widely regarded as the weakest of the three seasons of the Original Series.
  • Lt. Romaine, who Scotty has fallen for, seems to become possessed by the mysterious lights of Zetar.

As far as Star Trek "horror" episodes go, this one didn't turn out too badly – though it can still be a little dreary. (It's hard to believe that Shari Lewis and her husband wrote this one – perhaps with help from Lamb Chop as well.) Jan Shutan guest stars as Lieutenant Mira Romaine, and she's fine, though the series could have done better (such as casting Shari Lewis, which is what she had in mind when she wrote the thing.) The real gem of a performance here belongs to Scotty, who looks upon the girl with the love struck eyes he usually reserves for only the Enterprise engines. Director Herb Kenwith does a capable job directing his only Star Trek episode. Unfortunately, most of the episode lacks anything worth getting excited about, due in part to the fact that we really don't care what happens to Mira, and the regulars aren't really put in jeopardy.