Star Trek

The Omega Glory

Aired Unknown Mar 01, 1968 on NBC

6.6
  • The Enterprise finds the crew of the USS Exeter wiped out by an unknown plague, and its only survivor on a planet on which the inhabitants are seemingly immortal, and engaged in a Cold War-like conflict. One of my lesser favourite episodes...

As my reviews for other episodes around the period of this one probably reflect, I try to find good in even the weaker stories. But in the case of "The Omega Glory" ... this one just didn't work for me, for various reasons.

I wasn't keen that the interior of the USS Exeter looked *exactly* the same as the Enterprise (in an obvious recycling of the Enterprise set) – I would have liked to have seen a different colour scheme, or at very least a couple of details changed. Obviously this was down to budget and time restrictions, but it didn't exactly get the episode off to a good start for me.

The whole 'parallel Cold War' plot also seemed a bit lazy. Bearing in mind that this episode comes close behind "A Piece of the Action" and "Patterns of Force", both of which deal with parallels to Earth time periods, by now – and so close together – the whole concept felt very weak and over-coincidental.

There were some moments and elements that could maybe have been good – the fight sequences, for example, aren't bad, and William Shatner and Morgan Woodward seemed to do most of their own stunts – but for some reason, this whole episode just didn't go down that well with me at all.
    Ordinarily I prefer planet-based episodes such as this compared to ship-bound stories, but not with this one.

Maybe I missed something (I confess to my attention wandering a bit later on, due to not really enjoying the episode), but the whole parallel-to-America, flag and Pledge of Allegiance and all, didn't seem fully explained, and far too coincidental. The final act, complete with Kirk's obligatory 'speech of the week', also seemed a bit too preachy for my liking.

Then there was Spock's telepathic thing with the woman that he did simply with his eyes – where did that come from? Did I miss something? As far as I know, this was never used again in the series, and rightly so.

This story was one of several considered as the 'second pilot' to the series. I'm glad they went with "Where No Man Has Gone Before" instead!

All-in-all... not one of my favourites. For the reasons listed above, and for some things that I just can't quite put my finger on. This one just doesn't feel right.
WZME