Star Trek

The Savage Curtain

Aired Unknown Mar 07, 1969 on NBC

7.1
  • Kirk and Spock are forced to take part in the ultimate battle between good and evil.

5.5
    This is a morality play that Gene Roddenberry began writing but never finished. (Producer Fred Freiberger had Arthur Heinemann finish it.) While the episode isn't that good, it is historic for introducing the two gurus for Vulcans and Klingons, which future Trek writers would delve into in more detail. The plot itself, featuring the universe's greatest heroes (including Kirk and Spock) forced into battle against the universe's greatest villains, seems more like a story you'd expect from the Star Trek animated series… or perhaps the Super Friends cartoon. The guest stars are good, and the episode begins interestingly enough, but when you get to the point where Gene passes the baton to Heinemann, it's all downhill.

(By the way, it surprises me that Kirk's favorite president is Lincoln. The captain strikes me as more of a Bill Clinton kind of guy. But I suppose we should be happy Richard Nixon didn't agree to appear on Star Trek and play himself, joining the "good guys" in their fight against evil.)
WZME