Star Trek

The Trouble With Tribbles

Aired Unknown Dec 29, 1967 on NBC

• Scotty gets confined to quarters after getting caught trying to peddle his old technical journals off to unsuspecting midshipmen for a bloated price.

So everyone loves this episode and knows it well. It has been reviewed extensively. Therefore I will bring up something I either heard at a Trek convention or read somewhere, I forget which. Evidently a woman had a son who I believe got into some kind of accident and he became almost catatonic. In earlier days Mother and son used to watch Star Trek together. One day when the mother was visiting her son in the wing of the hospital he was being taken care of, she talked to him as she always did even though he could not answer or show any expression in his face. She instinctively put on the TV and "The Trouble with Tribbles" was airing. It was always a favorite episode of both the Mother and the son. Seated in between her son and the television set, the mother talked to and cared for her son. Right in the middle of the episode, the son actually leaned his body slightly to one side to see the screen! Although the son never had any type of noteworthy awakening, at least the mother knew that yes, her son was alive and aware of what was going on around him.