Star Trek

The Trouble With Tribbles

Aired Unknown Dec 29, 1967 on NBC

• The Enterprise must protect a space station on which a Klingon is trying to destroy a valuable shipment of grain; but a supposedly cuddly pet threatens everything when it begins to multiply out of control. One of the most memorable and popular episodes...

So here is another of the Original Series' most memorable and well known episodes. Although many episodes had elements of humour, "The Trouble with Tribbles" is one of Original 'Star Trek's few stories that is designed pretty much as an out-and-out comedy.

So, for one of the most recognised episodes, how does it bear up all these years later?...

The story is a good one, although personally I found it to be a series of gently amusing incidents more than an out-and-out laugh riot.

The first act is rather dragged out, and it is not until the second act that the story really gets going.

Cyrano Jones comes across (as another reviewer has also said) as a superior Harry Mudd (from the first season's "Mudd's Women", and "I, Mudd" this season). I'm surprised the character wasn't used again (although he did return in cartoon form, in the Animated Series sequel, "More Tribbles, More Troubles").

William Campbell makes a strange sort of Klingon; I keep expecting him to break into a comedy routine. Maybe I associate him too much with playing Trelane in the first season episode "The Squire of Gothos".

There are a couple of amusing moments, such as Scotty refusing to be offended by the Klingons insulting Captain Kirk, but taking offence to insulting the Enterprise itself; and Kirk being covered up to his neck in Tribbles that fall out of a hatch. But as I say, I find it more gently amusing than laugh out loud stuff.

All-in-all, a good episode, and a nice break from some of the more serious stories. I may be very controversial here – I'm not sure if it would make my personal Top 10 episodes. But that's mostly because there are just so many other good episodes in the series.