Star Trek

This Side of Paradise

Aired Unknown Mar 02, 1967 on NBC

• The Enterprise visits a planet where the colonists are presumed to have died from radiation, only to find them alive and well and apparently living an idyllic life after being subjected to the effects of some spores. A pretty average episode in my view...

This episode is another case of not being bottom-of-the-barrel, and is quite watchable, but for whatever reason does not really stand out as one of my particular favourites either.

We have already seen the effects of crewmembers acting out of character earlier in the season in "The Naked Time". Both episodes are watchable, but for whatever reason I'm not usually a fan of whole episodes revolving around cast members acting 'strangely out of character'.

Leonard Nimoy puts in a reasonable performance as Mr. Spock getting in touch with his human side. Other than one scene in "The Naked Time", this is the first time in the series that we see Spock's human half coming to the fore, but is far from the last time.
    Then there is the classic parting line as Leila asks about Spock's second name, to which he replies "You couldn't pronounce it".

Much of this episode is unintentionally funny, nothing more so than the scene on the otherwise deserted bridge, where Kirk is suddenly sprayed by one of the spore plants... where the heck did that come from?!

There are nice little touches of the crew being under the offending spore's influence, such as Doctor McCoy's southern drawl, but for the most part, I only find this episode average, with nothing to overly grab me about it. There is worse in the 'Star Trek' barrel, but it's not one of my particular favourites either.