Star Trek

Tomorrow is Yesterday

Aired Unknown Jan 26, 1967 on NBC

• Computed and recorded, dear.

This is history in the making folks: Star Trek's first of many, many, time-travel episodes where they always seem to go back to the 20th century. Now I'm a sucker for time-travel, I love the entire concept and I buy into it every time, but it sure does make my head hurt. Aside from this however, 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' serves as a well intended and executed story that implements good sci-fi with plenty of farce.

Regarding time travel in Star Trek in particular, I always enjoy it when humans from our time period, meet and interact with the crew and Enterprise, fully aware of what it is going on. What I love about this is that it allows me as a viewer, to really connect with someone on board this wonderfully futuristic spaceship. Usually we have characters that treat everything that's going on aboard the Enterprise, as everyday business- nothing to be shocked or amazed about. With these episodes however, we have a direct link to someone who is just like us when we watch this show: amazed. In 'Tomorrow is Yesterday', many characters interact with the ship and its crew for the fist time, and in a way, so do we as viewers.

Although working on pixie dust rather than real science, the episode does at least acknowledge some grounding rules for time travel. Early on, Spock affirms and details to Kirk that their unintentional visitor, Captain John Christopher (Roger Perry) cannot simply be returned to Earth without the future as we know it, being changed. It's a shame that this logic also works against the episode on many occasions, but I'm glad that it was taken seriously and actually used as the main source of drama for the episode.

The eventual solution to the problem of contaminating history is a logically dumb one and without any real scientific reasoning, but it nevertheless works for TV. And let me stress that for 'Tomorrow is Yesterday', an episode which doesn't work as good TV for the first twenty minutes, really needed something redeeming at this point. Thankfully it works and leads to some brilliant action and comedic scenes that are brilliant to watch, working a whole lot better on screen than the very talky first half of the episode. Perhaps one of the most amusing moments occurs when Kirk is being interrogated by security. The script is superbly written, featuring delightful dialogue that suits all characters very well. Shatner gives a great performance, conveying Kirk's ever-so gradual decline into acceptance of the completely absurd situation caused by his undeniable bad luck. Indeed Fontana is a well known writer involved with Trek and if there was one key strength that she had whilst writing for TOS, it was her knowledge of the characters. How she uses them in 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' is mostly for comedic effect, brining out the lighter sides of their personality. Scenes of particular notice aside from the one mentioned above are Kirk's 'faulty' computer moments and the ever amusing banter between Dr. McCoy and Mr. Spock.

Fontana also knows how to build tension well, and she layers incident upon incident here to create a very rich story that grows as it goes on. My one problem with this is that the first twenty minutes move along at a very slow pace with very few interesting moments. So it eventually pays off by the time you reach the final key scenes, but there is no doubting that the episode is clearly uneven, saving a lot of the action for last.

As contrived and logically insane as the final Deus Ex Machina is, for the most part, it works well for exciting science fiction TV. If you can turn off the logical side of the brain and simply watch for the artistic nature of it, it pays off well thanks to some dramatic lighting and a great sense of movement aboard the bridge (I just wish they didn't cut to those terribly boring Enterprise shots).

In conclusion, 'Tomorrow is Yesterday' is definitely an ambitious episode for Star Trek and an important one too, but it is in no way perfect. Perhaps with a little more balance and refinement to the script, I could have enjoyed it more- but for what it is, it makes for an original break in narrative for the show and has a good deal of great comedy, action and characterisation that make it good fun to watch.
  • Kirk’s only solution to accidentally going back in time 200 years is to get locked up in prison for the same amount of time

I always find these "going back in time" stories have holes in them. Whether it be Star Trek or any other Sci-Fi story. But, I have to admit I always find them interesting so I guess the joke's on me. In reference to one of the trivia comments, it was suggested that once Captain Christopher was beamed back into his cockpit that The Enterprise would still be there. I don't agree. As I understand it, the Enterprise corrected this by going back even a little further in time to before the event happened, except this time the Enterprise was much, much higher orbiting the planet well out of sight within the earth's atmosphere. But I suppose there are so many things one could argue about "If they went back in time, why didn't this change, or that be different, etc. etc.
  • Today is forever!

the crew of the enterprise is forced to go back in time to 20th Century Earth, where the Air Force declared them a UFO. One person was taken aboard while another one was taken in later. Captain Kirk will have to make some difficult decison of what to do with the men, or else they will change the corse of the future, so why do they go back in the past in the first place? the crew will return to the past in "Star Trek IV" when they save the future by going back in the past. I give it a 7.
  • After an encounter with a black star, the Enterprise is slung back to the 1960s and must find a way to escape without altering history.

This episode seems to begin in the middle of the story, because it was actually supposed to be "Part 2" of a two parter (with The Naked Time being the first part). It's the first time travel episode and guest stars Roger Perry as Captain Christopher, though he's not very good. The episode has some gaping plot holes and logic problems, but because the crew of the Enterprise visits the "present" (the 1960s), fans really liked it "back in the day". It sort of fulfilled their fantasy of seeing the Enterprise in our time period. (This reaction did not go unnoticed and would later lead to the fourth feature film.) Tomorrow is Yesterday creates the blueprint for a plot that would used again and again by Trek: escaping from the past without altering history. However, the concept would be executed in a much better way in later episodes and films.
  • The Enterprise has been sent back in time due to the effects of a black hole, arriving at Earth in the 1960s. When an Air Force pilot is beamed aboard, the crew must find a way to correct damage to the timeline and get home. An ambitious episode...

This review contains some spoilers.

This is 'Star Trek's first (of many) time travel episodes (well, other than the time travel experienced at the end of "The Naked Time" earlier in the season). Talking of "The Naked Time", that episode and this were originally designed to be a two-parter, but they ended up being made as two separate, stand-alone stories.

Time travel stories are always interesting, if not always plausible, and I quite like this one. The shot of the Enterprise appearing in the sky in the 1960s sky at the end of the opening teaser is a classic 'Star Trek' moment.
    (By the way, the Air Force shots slightly are let down by quite obviously being pre-existing stock footage, and bad quality ones at that).

The time travel idea is handled fairly well, albeit on somewhat of a small, 1960s-TV-budget scale; It would be handled on a lager scale on the big screen in 'Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home' (1986), where the crew travel back to the 1980s. But the story on the whole is a likable one, and very watchable.

Being a time travel story, there are a number of paradoxes presented. I find it is best not to question them too deeply and just go with it. This is also another example of a story that is both a drama and a comedy at different points.

I wasn't sure about the way the Enterprise slingshots into the Sun to travel back (or rather, forward) to its own time again. If it was that easy, wouldn't they be time travelling all the time? Also, there's some dodgy and not totally convincing Enterprise shots – although I don't agree that all episodes needs remastering and updating with better effects, but this is one case where it is probably an improvement (BTW, I haven't seen the remastered episodes yet; I don't know if / when they'll be shown here in the UK, especially on a terrestrial channel).

The thing that really didn't work for me – and others have picked up on it – is the conclusion, with Captain Christopher and the Air Force Guard being "beamed back into themselves", effectively replacing themselves before they saw the Enterprise. There is little logic how this works, and completely conflicts with anything else we've been taught about transportation in 'Trek' lore. This really let down an otherwise reasonable episode in my view.

The questionable conclusion is the only real problem with this otherwise mostly likeable and enjoyable - if not quite classic - instalment.
  • First time travel in Star Trek

This episode represents the first time travel in the Universe of Star Trek. Throughout the series and the movies of the Star Trek Universe time travel was a constant. This is special because it represent the first time that this concept appears.
    The great advantage of this episode is that the storyline is very well developed in this episode and works well with the all time paradox questions. This is important because the question of time paradox is relevant for all storylines that address the question of time travel. The solution used in this case is simple and elegant. Time travel paradox is "almost" solved using this technique.
  • Time travel comes to the Star Trek Universe

A hugely enjoyable episode of STAR TREK – how could one not love the idea of the Enterprise and Captain Kirk in our time era? Scripted by Dorothy Fontana, the show genuinely captures a sense of wonder, not so much with USAF pilot Capt Christopher, but certainly with the hapless Air Force Sergeant who is also beamed about the Enterprise.

There’s a couple of minor lapses – Kirk’s not realising that taking Capt Christopher out of the normal timeline might have disastrous consequences, Kirk’s amused expression through most of the episode, even though the ship and crew are in a pretty bad spot, and Kirk’s apparent callousness towards Capt Christopher’s plight – but there’s also much to enjoy, especially in the reactions of the 20th century earthlets who are faced with weird men from the future and, of course, Mr Spock.

Overall, a top episode and historically important, in that it laid the foundations for further great time travel stories in the STAR TREK universe.
  • What would happen if someone came back from the future and fouled the future up...

Excellent episode in which the Enterprise is dragged back in time by a black star. The year; sometime in the late 1960's before the first manned moon trip. A UFO (the Enterprise) is spotted and a pilot flies up to get a closer look...too close. The tractor beam destroys the plane but the pilot is beamed aboard. Kirk must now find some way of erasing their presence in that time period and somehow get back to his own time. Taking the pilot with them to get rid of the photographs his plane took of them was a bit risky but it all works out in the end.
  • A good episode with few flaws featuring the first time traveling storyline in the series.

\"Tomorrow is Yesterday\" sees the crew of the USS Enterprise well out their element. After an encounter with a black star, which is better known as a black hole, the \"starship\" and her crew are sent back in time to the later-half of the 20th century. They appear over the Omaha Air Base within Earth\'s atmosphere in 1969.

The air base scrambles a jet fighter to investigate a UFO, which turns out to be the Enterprise, that be base had been tracking on radar for some time. The fighter is manned by \"Captain John Christopher\" (Roger Perry), who has to be transported on board the Enterprise when the \"starship\'s\" tractor beam inavertantly crushes his airplane.

Now, the Enterprise crew must prevent the Air Force captain from returning to report on his findings on them, while trying to find the evidence the base recorded of their appearance above the base. They also must figure out a way to send \"Capt. Christopher\" and an Air policeman (Jim Spencer), who was accidentally beamed on board, back without the knowledge of their time on board the Enterprise.

\"Tommorow is Yesterday\" is the first of many time travel episodes of Star Trek. And it is a pretty good one at that.

First off, this episode is well acted. William Shatner makes \"Kirk\" appear to be quick on his feet when he bluffs \"Capt. Christopher\" about what organization he and his crew are from in the future. Other regular cast members, including Leonard Nimoy (\"Spock\"), have some good comical moments.

The visuals are pretty different in this episode compared to others. First off, there are some interesting camera shots at the beginning of the episode. One that stands out is the shots of the Enterprise within Earth\'s atmosphere which appear to be taken from well below the \"starship\". Others include in-cockpit camera angles when we first meet \"Capt. Christopher\". There are also some \"transporter\" scenes that do not align itself with the continuity of other episodes which follow.

Perry\'s performance itself is a bit weak. \"Christopher\" is in an unusual situation. He seems a bit to comfortable to be on board the Enterprise. He did act a bit confused, however, when he was first \"beamed\" on board and his first time around \"Spock\".

Overall, \"Tomorrow is Yesterday\" is a good episode.
WZME